Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, farang51 said:

I will certainly consider it. I use to spend six months in Thailand every winter, and then 14 days in quarantine is not that bad. However, I will wait and see how this turns out; instead of going October 1st as I use to, I will probably wait until November 1th - it also depends on the available hotels, I will not stay at an expensive 5-star hotel.

Staying 6 months requires long term visa. AFAIK there are no 6 months tourist visas issued. A lot of people stayed for 6 months by doing visa runs, it won't be practical now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Staying 6 months requires long term visa. AFAIK there are no 6 months tourist visas issued. A lot of people stayed for 6 months by doing visa runs, it won't be practical now.

Yes, that is a problem that I hope they will address. It is a bit crazy if one goes for a visa run at Ranong only to get another 14 days quarantine.

Another problem: Unless the government in Denmark change the current travel advice for Thailand, my insurance company will not offer coverage, and I will not travel without insurance.

4 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

With all due respect to the OP, but is this really breaking news?  TAT breaking wind would be more the point.  

What's that? Your only Interested in news where the TAT belt out some fat farts? What kind of sick individual wants that? 

You must be retired and under endowed to be into that malarky.

I

11 hours ago, MadMac said:

But perhaps a way for stranded expats to come back, if anything at all.

That's probably what it will end up being about. Another obscure way of allowing some types of tourists in while keeping others out. Because that is all longstayers are at the end of the day in the eyes of the locals, tourists. And, if there are problems, enough wiggle room to get out without losing face by blaming foreigners for rescinding it when/if the need arises. 

11 hours ago, mehrdad said:

Who would be will to go on such a journey? 

Funny you should say that, on the news last night, Chinese were shown paying for the latest fad

The fad is, believe it or not, going on a simulated flight where they spend 10 minutes in the simulator then leave passing through simulated customs and immigration on the way to the simulator and out. 

All this to combat withdrawal symptoms from not being able to travel at the moment. 

So, maybe Chinese will cop the quarantine gladly and Phuket will be saved 

Edited by kiwikeith

I've said I'm willing to do the 14 day quarantine as long as I can travel freely but this isn't it. 14 day quarantine plus and 7 day quarantine.  Come on man. Really? I really don't want to be in phuket either.  Just trying to get to my family.  Wdh?!?...

Just a few days ago a thai virologist said 14 days is not enough it should be 21 day????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️

Step 1- Catch a expensive flight. 

- pay to get tested. 

- pay 14-21 days for expensive hotels. Because I think its only 3 asq in phuket. 

-I did hear before you can't drink while in asq. 

Are they issuing new 3 to 4 month visas for tourist on arrival? 

Okay let me stop panicking. The final details haven't been worked out yet so it can only get worse. Maybe they will  throw that wrist band thing back in.

They need to say if you 14 quarantine you can travel freely. Also open up bangkok for quarantine stays. 

• Like 1

If we went back on this proposed scheme we would be minimising contact with other people anyway, just as we are here at the moment.

Everyone should take self responsibility and if they want to go and drink at bars in large numbers, well we all know the risks and so do the people they are mixing with and that is their choice. I would just minimise the chance of them infecting me by keeping to ourselves as much as possible.

• Like 1

Seems the only people that have any enthusiasm for being willing to pay a lot of money to intern themselves in what effectively is house arrest are those that aren't in the current list allowed to enter Thailand. I would guess retiree's, property owner's and those desperate to see their tee-rak's again. Over the last few days there have been cases where the virus has produced positive test results close to the end of and post quarantine period's. Which government official would fall on the sword when a breakout occurs? Get the popcorn ready????

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand has gone nearly three months without a confirmed case of a local COVID-19 transmission

not counting the one that tested positive when no longer in quarantine then!

On 8/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, Isaan sailor said:

If you want gold without the storage risk, buy gold funds.  But as the previous poster noted—price seems high now.

Thanks!a little older to make decisions which are stored in the clouds,so to speak,I am sure you understand sleeping well is important, thanks again and Good day!

"The main provinces may be Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Chonburi, Ratchaburi and Krabi,” Mr Phiphat explained."

I'd feel better if Bangkok wasn't on this list, but I am glad to see that Trat isn't mentioned. But the whole thing is just a hasty Russian roulette. They should concentrate on domestic tourism, and re-training of unemployed people.

4 hours ago, farang51 said:

Yes, that is a problem that I hope they will address. It is a bit crazy if one goes for a visa run at Ranong only to get another 14 days quarantine.

Another problem: Unless the government in Denmark change the current travel advice for Thailand, my insurance company will not offer coverage, and I will not travel without insurance.

Don't sweat it.................................... it is not going to happen.

7 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

If you were in Northern Europe, Russia, Canada, etc,  ?wouldn't you want to spend your winter in Thailand?

Ever heard about the Carribbean ?

What's wrong with the winter in the North. One of the things I miss the most here is the skiing, cross country and downhill. Winter is great, drain your body during the day and refill it with a good fondue or raclette. 

• Like 1