Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, mehrdad said:

Who would be will to go on such a journey? 

I know at least 5 people who have missed their 4 to 6 month Australian winter break here that  will take this up. AND at least that many Expats trying to return to their homes / wives/ kids here in Phuket !

16 hours ago, MadMac said:

But perhaps a way for stranded expats to come back, if anything at all.

That´s the positive news. But Expats are not Tourists!

Edited by Xonax

Now let me get this straight 14 days  quarantine and have to stay for 30 days.

What if the tourist's want to go home after 30 days and there own country in on

lock down.Does that mean amnesty will start again,or they will have to leave to

what ever country that will have them? Just a premonition of what could happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

Perhaps Thailand finally gets what was missing here anyway - all inclusive resorts. I understand that "all inclusive" can be a little bit problematic here... 

Various hotels already offered optional all-inclusive packages pre-covid. But usually, the offers were overpriced and not worth the money.

Edited by Mak25

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

No they don't, 6 million have been and gone, looking for another 2 before end of year.

"The country expects to receive 8 million foreign tourists this year" 

Good proofreading SF .   I imagine you are correct, though the word "expects"  kind of threw me off. 

If i said i expect to have sex 150 times this year ...... without stating how many times i already have...

oh well,   you get the point

On the other hand I think you are spot on :    they may indeed get another 2 tourists this year 

But two days ago, after the woman from Loei was tested positive for C19 outside quarantine, all the scientists and doctors were shaking their heads and tutting that 14 days quarantine clearly isn't enough. I can see the tourists booking their 30-day holidays and being told after 12 days in quarantine that it's now been extended by government order to 30 days locked up. Have a nice time, lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rumak said:

"The country expects to receive 8 million foreign tourists this year" 

Good proofreading SF .   I imagine you are correct, though the word "expects"  kind of threw me off. 

If i said i expect to have sex 150 times this year ...... without stating how many times i already have...

oh well,   you get the point

On the other hand I think you are spot on :    they may indeed get another 2 tourists this year 

No dispute the expectation is variable, prior to this plan it was 7 million for the year.

The gap between the rules and what happens in reality will remain as large as it is for all all other aspects of Thailand. Tourists will come and be forced to pay for quarantine hotels, tests and isolation which will not be enforced, they will just mingle as always. Hoteliers and government will make more profit to compensate for the lean period from the test fees, tea money and increased room rates, life will go on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Tourists will have to stay for at least 30 days, with the first 14 days in quarantine in a limited vicinity of their hotel, before they can visit other areas

but who in his/her right mind will/want to do this ?

the blind leading the blind

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sebastion said:

I would have thought Hua Hin would be the closest city to any border

Correct, only 57 kilo meters. I went looking for the Immigration post at Pa La U , managed to scramble up to the 4th level but couldn’t find it.

Maybe I’ll try Prachuap Khiri Khan. It’s only 18 kilo meters to Tanintharyi.

12 hours ago, Sujo said:

No, at home its still in a hotel, at extra cost.

Quite.

IF, and it certainly is a bid IF, it was choice between 2 weeks in a hotel or an outrageously priced insurance policy, then it would be a no brainer.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

The gap between the rules and what happens in reality will remain as large as it is for all all other aspects of Thailand. Tourists will come and be forced to pay for quarantine hotels, tests and isolation which will not be enforced, they will just mingle as always. Hoteliers and government will make more profit to compensate for the lean period from the test fees, tea money and increased room rates, life will go on.

I don't really think. It's just Bangkok on an Island ????????

17 hours ago, shady86 said:

I'm looking forward for foreigners to spend their money to quarantine 14 days at 5 star resorts!

And spend a fortune on being tested .. Even that’s a scam ... Pay to be told your sick for their stats.. Then pay for the hotels they pick .. But it’s Pay Pay Pay

Backpackers and others on a budget might be able to quarantine here and knock off a new tourist attraction at the same time.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/trip-inside-phuket-prison-photo-special/

But actually, I'm with Samui Bodoh on this. I think a lot of snowbirds will be willing to quarantine for two weeks if they're coming for 5 months like I usually do.