Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, NE1 said:

So how does it work then. Who decides which hotels people stay in ?

If you have one family staying in one room , does that mean the cleaner can only clean that one room ,

and as it states in the report "staff will have to stay in the hotel too."

So the cleaning ladies don't get to go home to feed the kids at the end of their shift ?

and won't see the kids and the old man for weeks on end ?

Would that be a plus or would that be a minus?

That is a good point you raised. Would hotel staff need to quarantine for 14 days after their shift or perhaps stay permanently isolated at the hotel.

25 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

I always stay for 90 days. Sounds good to me .Hotel with a golf course would be great 

In room golf course, you can put around the room and it will be like going to a putt putt course.  Just need to make your own windmill obstacle.  You will be just like a true business executive practicing in his office.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shey420 said:

I think once retirees are able to get back into thailand  and people with property  or small businesses they will cash out after treatment like this. Wouldn't blame them. They should have been some of the first allowed back.

What is stopping those people coming back to Thailand through Phuket ? 

• Like 2

Not all those coming back are “Tourists”. As a recently “retired” pilot I have lived in Phuket for over 20yrs when not at work overseas. I “own” my house in Phuket, with my name on the Tambian Baan Yellow Book, I have Thai ID Pink Card, a freshly minted 10 year O-X Non-Imm Retirement Visa...... 
But yet, I am still classified as being a “Tourist”. Mai Khao Jai.......???

Still stuck in Abu Dhabi......

Waiting.......

Mai Mii Pen Haaaaa......

Edited by verticalift
Typo
  • Like 2

Hum interesting fascinated to see full details of this plan as sure Thai Consulates will be overwhelmed with applications for visas. Maybe better to extend visa amnesty provided you attend selected five star hotels in Phuket for few days 

• Haha 1

Tourists will have to stay for at least 30 days, with the first 14 days in quarantine in a limited vicinity of their hotel, before they can visit other areas, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

The announcement comes after authorities suspended plans to create ‘travel bubbles’ with partner countries as the number of coronavirus cases in Asia rose. 

“On Oct. 1 we will start in Phuket,” Yuthasak said.

Visitors will have to take two coronavirus tests during quarantine before they are able to travel to the rest of the island, Minister of Tourism and Sports Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, said on Thursday.

Staff will also have to remain in the hotel, he added.

Visitors will have to take an additional test and remain within the province for another week before they can travel to other parts of the country.

Plus testing. 

Plus flights

Plus insurance. 

Plus

Plus...

I can hear the cash register already. 

Ka ching 

Ka ching. 

19 hours ago, shady86 said:

I'm looking forward for foreigners to spend their money to quarantine 14 days at 5 star resorts!

And staff that are willing to be quarantined along with visitors and not allowed to leave the hotel?

I can't see many tourists wanting to travel all this way for 14 days stuck in a hotel, multiple tests and then another test before being let out.

Then possible quarantine on arrival back home.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Limits the market already .. how many people can take a mth in one hit from their vacation allowance and then spend nearly half of it indoors .. 

well it sounds like restricted to a ‘walled community’ type hotel.
Yes they can go out, but not mingle with natives or with other guests closely. Staff stuck with them.

test in, test out 

Wax on, wax off

Not ideal, but something.
If you can get away, chill at the pool and eat good food it’s doable.

It depends on the cost of the hotels getting the nod. 6,900 a night for 14 nights ain’t gonna fly, but 2,000 a night likely will.

I just booked a Bangkok hotel that normally is 7,000+ a night for 2,200 and am happy to go.

Edited by animatic