Screensaver inhibited when left on TVF

bluesofa

I'm starting a new thread on this, even though back in April I asked the same question without it being resolved.

This is what I wrote back then:

"I leave my browser (Firefox) running all the time, with ten or so tabs constantly open. Only one, perhaps two, are ThaiVisa pages.

When I leave a TVF tab as the displayed page, it prevents the screensaver starting.

If I have another website as the page being displayed, the screensaver kicks in OK, despite TVF being open in another tab."

At the time I also pm'ed the Tech Doctor, but I had no response.

Today I thought I'd have another crack at trying to find out what's causing this issue.

I cancelled all the 'permissions' for thaivisa.com. The screensaver started OK.

Then I slowly re-allowed permissions until the screensaver became inhibited.

The culprit? Cookies.

The options I have on Firefox (V79.0 64 bit running Linux Mint) are:
Set Cookies (I can select one checkbox below)

Use Default

Allow

Allow for Session

Block

The only one which will allow the screensaver to start is "Block"

OK, it's a relief to find out what's inhibiting the screensaver, but I want to know why do the cookies do it, and is there some way to sort it out?

The other thing is, by 'blocking' the cookies I can't use TVF as it can't see I'm logged in and I can't post, etc.

There's probably a javascript element running in the background of the ThaiVisa site that supports multimedia/video. I believe if the browser interprets such an element is 'active' then the browser will suppress the OS Screensaver from running.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichCor said:

There's probably a javascript element running in the background of the ThaiVisa site that supports multimedia/video. I believe if the browser interprets such an element is 'active' then the browser will suppress the OS Screensaver from running.

OK, I follow what you're saying, but what do the cookies have to do with multimedia?

Having said that, the permission for Autoplay is set to 'Block Audio and Video' and have been for months, while I've been trying to discover the problem, as it did occur to me too it might be trying to play video clips.

Some of the elements that ad syndicates serve may be multimedia types. ThaiVisa serves a "VDO.AI" ad that's a javascript multimedia element that's set to stay on the screen (mimicking a movie).   

Cookies are user-side files for storing information that allow web2.0 (interactive content) javascript elements (programs that run in the background) to function. Multimedia is considered web2.0

By The Way ... once you start fiddling with the website environment (via filters or blockers), ThaiVisa support typically stops being helpful as they are only motivated to assist when an issue is occurring on a non-modified browser. 

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Some of the elements that ad syndicates serve may be multimedia types. ThaiVisa serves a "VDO.AI" ad that's a javascript multimedia element that's set to stay on the screen (mimicking a movie).   

Cookies are user-side files for storing information that allow web2.0 (interactive content) javascript elements (programs that run in the background) to function. Multimedia is considered web2.0

By The Way ... once you start fiddling with the website environment (via filters or blockers), ThaiVisa support typically stops being helpful as they are only motivated to assist when an issue is occurring on a non-modified browser. 

Thanks for your ongoing replies.

As you know about VDO.AI, can you say if it's this which inhibits my screensaver, and is there some straightforward way around it?

At the moment I have to remember to switch to a Non-TVF tab to allow the screensaver to start. While it's not the end of the world, it is irritating that I need to do it.

I take your point regarding 'fiddling', but as I didn't get any response from the Tech Doctor months ago, I've had to try to do something myself.

Because the VDO.AI ad is running as a video, while it's visible on screen the browser will inhibit the normal 'sleep' or 'screensaver' function of the OS from running. 

A person running a unmodified browser will see the floating VDO.AI ad has a CLOSE ICON in the top right that, when clicked, will close the ad and terminate the 'video playing' status of the browser.

image.png.0efabb353aed41778c33de35c90dec8a.png

If you modify your browser to function differently you might not see the CLOSE option to end the video playback, and the browser will continue to prevent the 'sleep' or 'screensaver' timeout option from functioning as you desire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:
On 8/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, bluesofa said:

I leave my browser (Firefox) running all the time, with ten or so tabs constantly open.

Tell me why please.

I never switch my computer off.  leave it on with the browser tabs I tend to use the most left open.

The screensaver comes on, then later the screen switches off completely,

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I never switch my computer off.  leave it on with the browser tabs I tend to use the most left open.

Many browsers allow you to set "On Startup" preferences, like blank, single website or multiple websites/pages, or the set current open set), to open on launch if you like to have having instant access to frequently used websites.

• Like 1