Some Windows 10 news items

ravip

Microsoft confirms there will be no Windows 11
By Chuong Nguyen May 08, 2015

A new Windows era begins

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-confirms-there-will-be-no-windows-11-1293309

WSL 2 Support is coming to Windows 10 Versions 1903 and 1909

Tyler

August 20th, 2020

Support for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2 distros is being backported to Windows 10 version 1903, and 1909! Yes, you read that right. We heard how much you liked WSL 2 and wanted to expand its accessibility, and over the last few months we worked on bringing it back to 1903 and 1909.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/wsl-2-support-is-coming-to-windows-10-versions-1903-and-1909/

• 2 months later...

Looks like a Windows 10 OS is upgraded around every 18 months.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/12/windows-10-version-1903-support-end-is-near-december-2020/

I'm wondering if the continual release of new OS builds, and the ending of support for not so old Windows 10 builds, will cause problems with some older hardware, and force hardware upgrades as well.  

Edited by KhunHeineken

somewhat off-topic. I cannot locate the discussion about getting a ''your Windows 10 licence is about to expire'' message. I have received it, on my old PC box. I do believe that my computer shop installed a volume version, when doing a clean instal for me. Here I am, looking over what Lazada has to offer for Win 10Pro. My research tells me I want to buy a FPP version. The retail shop Banana wants  9,500 baht. Can anyone advise me exactly what to look for when buying at Lazada, please? Thanks. . Obviously there is some <deleted> there, in the hundred baht price range.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paddypower said:

somewhat off-topic. I cannot locate the discussion about getting a ''your Windows 10 licence is about to expire'' message. I have received it, on my old PC box. I do believe that my computer shop installed a volume version, when doing a clean instal for me. Here I am, looking over what Lazada has to offer for Win 10Pro. My research tells me I want to buy a FPP version. The retail shop Banana wants  9,500 baht. Can anyone advise me exactly what to look for when buying at Lazada, please? Thanks. . Obviously there is some <deleted> there, in the hundred baht price range.

Don't spend more than 100 baht, unless you are running a business and need to be audited.

The media for installation is exactly the same, whether you spend 100 or 10,000 baht.

So my suggestion is to download and create the media for yourself and buy a cheap key via eBay or perhaps Lazada(79 baht or thereabouts when I looked a while back) to activate it.

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive

1. Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
  2. Click Download Tool Now.
  3. Save the Application.
  4. Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
  7. Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
  8. Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  9. Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
  10. Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
  11. Click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, paddypower said:

First just try to activate your current installation using a new valid key. Example procedure using Home:

https://www.howtogeek.com/234946/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-professional/

https://softwaregroup.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012409747-How-To-Upgrade-Windows-10-Home-to-Pro-using-an-OEM-key

Aliexpess currently has a key for USD0.01. Quite affordable, no? While you're there, get Office 2019 Pro as well.:)

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

Use the money you have saved to fit an inexpensive solid state drive as your Windows 10 Boot drive. 

Cheapest options from HIKVISION and Silicon Power, from around 500 baht.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 6:04 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Looks like a Windows 10 OS is upgraded around every 18 months.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/12/windows-10-version-1903-support-end-is-near-december-2020/

I'm wondering if the continual release of new OS builds, and the ending of support for not so old Windows 10 builds, will cause problems with some older hardware, and force hardware upgrades as well.  

At older machines, yes. There do not seem to be drivers for bluetooth and other applications. 

17 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Use the money you have saved to fit an inexpensive solid state drive as your Windows 10 Boot drive. 

Cheapest options from HIKVISION and Silicon Power, from around 500 baht.

It's amazing how the technology has changed. I started off in Thailand with a 64 GB HD on Windows XP and 256 MB of memory.

Now even 4 GB of memory can be not enough. 

Edited by teacherclaire

8 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

At older machines, yes. There do not seem to be drivers for bluetooth and other applications. 

There are almost always Drivers available. I don't think I come up against a situation where there wasn't an option to use an older Driver.

Do you have a device with an issue?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

There are almost always Drivers available. I don't think I come up against a situation where there wasn't an option to use an older Driver.

Do you have a device with an issue?

Yep, I do. No way to find a Bluetooth driver for my 10 to 11 year old DELL Inspiron 1440. 

I was one of the first who upgraded the existing W 7 to W 10 Pro. And there were already problems with the right Bluetooth driver a long time ago. But I could find a Lenovo driver that worked well.

Now, I gave up on it. 

One more issue we have at school is that the giant board with an Android and also running W 10 Pro now, there's no way to find the right sound driver.

It's got its own OS and speakers work when connected via HDMI. I did all possible troubleshooting and even a MS guy took over, but i could see him doing the same steps i had already tried.

59 minutes ago, BigStar said:

First just try to activate your current installation using a new valid key. Example procedure using Home:

https://www.howtogeek.com/234946/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-professional/

https://softwaregroup.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012409747-How-To-Upgrade-Windows-10-Home-to-Pro-using-an-OEM-key

Aliexpess currently has a key for USD0.01. Quite affordable, no? While you're there, get Office 2019 Pro as well.:)

If you are suggesting that, firstly find out which edition is installed, rather than blindly entering numbers and hoping for the best.

The most simple way is to: Press the Win  + R keys to open Run, type winver into Run, and click/tap on OK.

or About in the search area of Windows 10 then to choose About Your PC, then scroll down to the bottom of the generated page.

But my suggestion would be to: Press the Win  + R keys to open Run, type cmd into Run, and click/tap on OK.

Then next to the flashing cursor, cut and paste or type in: slmgr.vbs /dli then hit the Enter key.

Though with unverified media, a clean install should be the step taken.

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

Here I am, looking over what Lazada has to offer for Win 10Pro. My research tells me I want to buy a FPP version. The retail shop Banana wants  9,500 baht.

The correct price for a retail (non OEM version) of Windows 10 Pro is around 5000 Baht give or take, check out 'Invade IT'.

9500 Baht is a complete rip off, there's something very wrong with that price.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Yep, I do. No way to find a Bluetooth driver for my 10 to 11 year old DELL Inspiron 1440. 

I was one of the first who upgraded the existing W 7 to W 10 Pro. And there were already problems with the right Bluetooth driver a long time ago. But I could find a Lenovo driver that worked well.

Now, I gave up on it. 

One more issue we have at school is that the giant board with an Android and also running W 10 Pro now, there's no way to find the right sound driver.

It's got its own OS and speakers work when connected via HDMI. I did all possible troubleshooting and even a MS guy took over, but i could see him doing the same steps i had already tried.

Odd, the built-in Bluetooth function of my ACER laptop from 2007 works fine on Windows 10.

Did you upgrade over the top or run a clean install? 

What happened to the Lenovo Driver, since you state that worked?

Have you tried the Toshiba Bluetooth stack after removing the current Driver?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Odd, the built-in Bluetooth function of my ACER laptop from 2007 works fine on Windows 10.

Did you upgrade over the top or run a clean install? 

What happened to the Lenovo Driver, since you state that worked?

Have you tried the Toshiba Bluetooth stack after removing the current Driver?

I upgraded as one of the first when W 10 was announced, before running W 7 Ultimate. It was a fishy (Thai) version, but activating it just for this upgrade works well.

I deleted the Lenovo driver after it didn't work anymore, perhaps time to give it another try?

I think I've tried Toshiba drivers as well, almost all. Thank you for your great knowledge. 

21 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The correct price for a retail (non OEM version) of Windows 10 Pro is around 5000 Baht give or take, check out 'Invade IT'.

Why would anybody even pay 5,000 baht for it when you can buy a refurbished and in Europe legal and functioning version of W 10 Pro for 250 baht?

Here's one for only $ 4.44, no joke. Many buyers shows that it's a good seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-10-PRO-PROFESSIONAL-GENUINE-LICENSE-KEYS-INSTANT-DELIVERY/393016041425?hash=item5b8194dfd1:g:EuYAAOSwoexfr0fU

By accident, I found a way to activate W 10 Pro digitally, but won't go into details here. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

I upgraded as one of the first when W 10 was announced, before running W 7 Ultimate. It was a fishy (Thai) version, but activating it just for this upgrade works well.

I deleted the Lenovo driver after it didn't work anymore, perhaps time to give it another try?

I think I've tried Toshiba drivers as well, almost all. Thank you for your great knowledge. 

Clean install is always best.

There is no way that there is no working Driver. It's just sometimes to tiring to figure out the combination that works, so easy to just give up.

There is also a DELL Driver that might work: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03685478M/1/Network_Driver_YW21W_WN32_12.0.1.750_A04.EXE

But better to remove the old Driver first if there is one. Sometimes, in rare cases, we need to tell Windows 10 to not replace your working Driver with a non-working one.

If you really want to troubleshoot it properly, we'll get it done. Firstly by identifying the card involved.

2 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Why would anybody even pay 5,000 baht for it when you can buy a refurbished and in Europe legal and functioning version of W 10 Pro for 250 baht?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-10-PRO-PROFESSIONAL-GENUINE-LICENSE-KEYS-INSTANT-DELIVERY/393016041425?hash=item5b8194dfd1:g:EuYAAOSwoexfr0fU

By accident, I found a way to activate W 10 Pro digitally, but won't go into details here. 

Really no need to use dodgy activation methods(KMSPico et al) when you can pick a key up for 80 baht or where you can use the OEM activations of older laptops to upgrade to Windows 10.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack is here: https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4007183

But hold off on that for the moment, as there are still a few things to be explored. Plus we need to make the stack suitable for use with non-Toshiba laptops, if we choose to install it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Really no need to use dodgy activation methods(KMSPico et al) when you can pick a key up for 80 baht or where you can use the OEM activations of older laptops to upgrade to Windows 10.

I experienced that the upgrade from 7 to 10 were working flawlessly when activated at the time of upgrade. 

You're so right, why using some dodgy stuff if you can have the real Windows 10 Pro for almost nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack is here: https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4007183

But hold off on that for the moment, as there are still a few things to be explored. Plus we need to make the stack suitable for use with non-Toshiba laptops, if we choose to install it.

Thank you very much, will give it a try later. 

10 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Not so fast. You still need to give the DELL Driver a try, once you have identified the card within; if it's the 365 module, this Driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-th/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vy4f2 has also been reported to work.

Thank you. At this time of the upgrade, I thought it wou;ld be better to choose the 32 bit version of OS which I'm running.

This software seems to be for this version.

Update Package for MS Windows 32-Bit ( from the article of the link) Oops, sorry, 32 software also works on 54 bit machines. Pardon me. 

Edited by teacherclaire

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

agreed!! Banana quoted me 4,600 for Win 10 Home. Both quotes were for the portable version . They did not stock the single user version, in Surathani.

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

If you are suggesting that, firstly find out which edition is installed, rather than blindly entering numbers and hoping for the best.

The most simple way is to: Press the Win  + R keys to open Run, type winver into Run, and click/tap on OK.

or About in the search area of Windows 10 then to choose About Your PC, then scroll down to the bottom of the generated page.

But my suggestion would be to: Press the Win  + R keys to open Run, type cmd into Run, and click/tap on OK.

Then next to the flashing cursor, cut and paste or type in: slmgr.vbs /dli then hit the Enter key.

Though with unverified media, a clean install should be the step taken.

???? In the procedures cited, he'd automatically see the version before he attempted to activate. Knowing the typical Thai installation, nothing exotic, it'll work. If not, just reinstall a Win Pro--which you suggested--and then it'll work.

21 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Win 10 Pro for USD0.01, one device:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001598838009.html

22 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

That link seems to end up as a missing page.

Be careful with those upgrade keys.  I bought one on eBay earlier this year.  It promised to upgrade from Windows 10 home to Pro without the loss of data and installed software.   However, when I received it via an email, they wanted me to reinstall Windows from a link in the email.  Using the link, it installed the home edition by default (I could see no way to change this), and then once done wouldn't accept the key to upgrade to Pro.  Maybe if I was starting from scratch, and didn't mind reinstalling all my software again, it would have worked, but was useless for what I wanted it to do.  Although it only cost few bucks, and I still want to do the upgrade, I'm loath to buy another cheap key unless knowing it will do what I want - be able to go into the Activation section of Settings and enter a key under "Change product key" to upgrade to Pro without the loss of any software.  Anyone got any tips?

• Like 1