Some Windows 10 news items

ravip

20 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It's been a while, but since this thread has surfaced again, here's an update.

I entered the generic Win10 Pro key, and the computer upgraded itself with no issues.

Then I tried entering the key I purchased earlier on ebay for $2.00.  No good, it wouldn't activate.

I lived with the little "Windows is not activated, blah blah blah" message on my desktop for a week or so, then decided to buy a key on Lazada for 79 baht.  It was sent via a message in the Lazada App/website.

Entered that key and activation happened.  All is good in the PC world.

Have to buy from a reputable, well-reviewed vendor on Ebay. Then you can get a refund or sent a working key if the one sent doesn't work. Shyster vendors do sell non-working keys. 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, BigStar said:

Been some years since I looked at Chromebooks. Nowadays some Chomebooks will allow Android apps and so I'd guess all of them will in the future. So that's a good thing.  

With most people able to do everything they require to do online on their phone these days, a Chromebook that takes Google Play Store apps might be a good idea.  

• Like 1

25 Run Commands in Windows which might come in handy.

#1. Access System Configuration — “msconfig”
#2. Access Resource Monitor — “resmon”
#3. Open System Information — “msinfo32”
#4. Access Backup and Restore window — “sdclt”
#5. Access mouse properties — “main.cpl”
#6. Open Windows Registry — “regedit”
#7. Access System Properties — “sysdm.cpl”
#8. Manage Windows Power options — “powercfg.cpl”
#9. Open Windows Features — “optionalfeatures”
#10. Open Magnifier — “magnify”
#11. Open Character Map app — “charmap”
#12. Access Network Connections — “ncpa.cpl”
#13. Run Malicious Software Removal Tool — “mrt”
#14. Open Device Manager — “devmgmt.msc”
#15. Manage User Accounts — “netplwiz”
#16. Open Services app — “services.msc”
#17. Access Programs and Features window — “appwiz.cpl”
#18. Open Control Panel — “control”
#19. Open current user folder — “.” (period)
#20. Open On-Screen Keyboard — “osk”
#21. Open Snipping Tool — “snippingtool”
#22. Open Windows Memory Diagnostic — “mdsched”
#23. Open any website — “Insert website URL”
#24. Open Remote Desktop Connection — “mstsc”
#25. Open Command Prompt — “cmd”

Full article

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 update could soon help make your laptop battery last longer.

Change which is in testing could help notebook users beat the battery blues.

Windows 10 could receive a tweak to its system of tracking your laptop battery usage, with the idea being to introduce graphs which show you more detail about when the battery is being hammered.

You can already look at the apps which are sapping the most power from your notebook battery, based on a certain time period – such as the past week – but with this new change, Microsoft is providing a full graph of recent battery usage too.

Article

• 3 weeks later...

How to Use Windows 10’s Built-in Screen Capture Tool

Windows 10 can record a video of your screen without any third-party software. Here’s how to find and use Windows 10’s easy-to-use Capture utility to record your display.

Article

Windows 10’s free upgrade offer is over, according to Microsoft. But this isn’t completely true. There are a bunch of ways you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free and get a legitimate license, or just install Windows 10 and use it for free.

There are a few ways you can still get Windows 10 for free, without using a pirated license: you can install Windows 10 with a 7 or 8 key, or install Windows without a key—it will work just fine, save for a small watermark reminding you to purchase a license.

Here’s how each of those methods work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

• 1 month later...

Microsoft Finally Announces Windows 10 Version 21H1

“Today, we are introducing the next feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1,” Microsoft’s John Cable writes in an announcement post that should have been published months ago. “For the first time[,] an H1 (first half of the calendar year) feature update release will be delivered in an optimized way using servicing technology, while continuing our semi-annual feature update cadence.”

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/247340/microsoft-finally-announces-windows-10-version-21h1

• 2 weeks later...

How to Change the Default New Folder Name in Windows 10

By default, when you create a new folder in Windows 10, the folder is given the name “New folder.” If you don’t like this name and you’d rather use another name, you can change the default name for new folders in Windows 10. Here’s how you do this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/715225/change-default-new-folder-name-windows-10/