Full English breakfast fry up in Phuket

Agusts

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Doesn't even look good compared to my home-cooked fry-up.

Hmmmm…photo please or it didn’t happen. ????

In addition to a fair proportion of posts on this subject, I object in the strongest possible terms to the word sausage being applied to the work of Beelzebub called sausage as served up with the so-called FEB in Thailand. These abominations bear little resemblance to the real thing (apart from the shape) and should be renamed to something like ‘fat & meat of dubious origin shapes.’ The true horror of the Thai style banger was experienced in Bangkok about 20 years ago when my FEB arrived on my table. Staring back at me was 2 very small soggy and probably boiled, pink frankfurter style bangers. Quite disgusting.

I regularly used to stay at a guesthouse in Patong whose owner, an amiable Canadian guy, knew a German who used to make his own Bavarian style sausages and from whom he would buy and serve up in his guesthouse breakfasts. They were pretty good sausages only let down by the always angry Thai cook in the guesthouse whose MO for farang food was under-cooked or house-fire.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, billythehat said:

Hmmmm…photo please or it didn’t happen. ????

In addition to a fair proportion of posts on this subject, I object in the strongest possible terms to the word sausage being applied to the work of Beelzebub called sausage as served up with the so-called FEB in Thailand. These abominations bear little resemblance to the real thing (apart from the shape) and should be renamed to something like ‘fat & meat of dubious origin shapes.’ The true horror of the Thai style banger was experienced in Bangkok about 20 years ago when my FEB arrived on my table. Staring back at me was 2 very small soggy and probably boiled, pink frankfurter style bangers. Quite disgusting.

I regularly used to stay at a guesthouse in Patong whose owner, an amiable Canadian guy, knew a German who used to make his own Bavarian style sausages and from whom he would buy and serve up in his guesthouse breakfasts. They were pretty good sausages only let down by the always angry Thai cook in the guesthouse whose MO for farang food was under-cooked or house-fire.

Hotel in Chiang Mai I lived in had a German restaurant run by a real German. The sausages were OK but an acquired taste. They make decent sausages in NZ. Bacon is way too expensive though.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:54 PM, LivinginKata said:

Had that exact breakfast 3 days ago. Eggs were way overcooked. Roast potatoes hard inside. Sausage was good. I left most potatoes and one egg. Wife ordered fried rice. It looked disgusting. Far too wet. We were disappointed as over many years we never had a bad meal. they did give 15% off all meals. 

Not sure whether we will be back.

Edit - that's not the 170 baht breakfast. It's the full breakfast. I had the 170 baht one with no bacon or orange juice,

I wish they supplied two toast with Thai big breakfast. I like to put one under the baked beans with the egg on top. They usually cost too much to buy separately. The other I'll have with the butter and marmalade

I stopped going to a restaurant that had a decent big breakfast in Pattaya because they didn't supply baked beans with it and they charged a rip off price for a separate order of it.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish they supplied two toast with Thai big breakfast. I like to put one under the baked beans with the egg on top. They usually cost too much to buy separately. The other I'll have with the butter and marmalade

I stopped going to a restaurant that had a decent big breakfast in Pattaya because they didn't supply baked beans with it and they charged a rip off price for a separate order of it.

No fried bread?

On 9/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, billythehat said:

This is true and only a few of the hundreds of types of wurst (sausage) available in the Fatherland are ever seen in Lalaland.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photos+of+sausage+shops+in+germany&qpvt=photos+of+sausage+shops+in+germany&form=IGRE&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

Like with most foods, you have to have a passion for making it and as there is no passion in LLL for farang food, you get what you get. Back in the halcyon days of LLL, I knew an Aussie bar-keep in the old Soi Gonzo who’d been living in Patong for 5 years. He claimed he no longer ate fried brekkies or indeed any farang food and only ate Thai fayre as he considered it healthier. However, he still had a gut like a pregnant roo and therefore there was some doubt in my mind as to his claim.

Thai food is full of sugar and salt

• Like 1

Just now, Nout said:

Thai food is full of sugar and salt

I recently read palm oil and coconut oil have the worst kind of fat , even worse than animal fat. I wonder if these oils are used in Thai and Asian food, I also wonder if the same fat is in cononut milk/cream, I know that is used a lot....!!! ????

5 hours ago, billythehat said:

Better than some I’ve seen, but…

Lettuce with a fried brekkie?...sheesh…Minus 1. ????

Send that toast back… Minus 1.

Bacon needs crisping up a wee bit… Minus 1.

Why is there cold ham on the plate? The bacon is there… Minus 1.

Buddha knows what’s in them bangers but at least there’s 2… Plus 1.

Replace those soggy deep-fried hash browns with a few slices of black pudding. Minus 1.

At least they managed not to overcook the eggs, so a point up there. Should ideally be sitting on a slice of fried bread. Plus 1.

Reasonable scoop of baked beans – food of the gods and an essential component of the FEB. Another point up. Plus 1.

Can’t see the hot English mustard. Minus 1.

Taking your word that the coffee didn’t taste like last week’s dregs and didn’t leave a tattoo like stain on your wife-beater tee shirt, the orange was the right colour plus an additional point if the waitress had a great butt – Plus 3.

However, still good value when you consider Gordon Ramsey is charging £19 (750 TBH) for this pitiful offering… https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12657748/gordon-ramsay-overpriced-fry-up/

That does not look that great, you have to go to Peppers because it is the best by far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Agusts said:

I recently read palm oil and coconut oil have the worst kind of fat , even worse than animal fat. I wonder if these oils are used in Thai and Asian food, I also wonder if the same fat is in cononut milk/cream, I know that is used a lot....!!! ????

Palm oil is incredibly cheap, so, it's used extensively for deep fat frying by food vendors. It's not used so much in the house. Thais usually use corn, or soy-bean oil for that.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Hugh Geen said:

Yorkshire Hotel - San Sabai - Patong.

Are they open for breakfast now...!?

I went to Starfish in Patong the other day at about 11:45am and nobody there, a girl sitting at the bar said;  breakfast "no hab"..., I was there a few days before and asked them if they do breakfast and they said yes from 10am...! 

So off to Quenchers, they get a steady few clients daily, so at least it's fresh stuff...

My Missus and Daughter used to buy those horrible cardboard " French Fries " out of a Freezer.

I showed them how to make, and cook Traditional English Chips, and now they do not even want to look at the cardboard things.

Its what I had for Lunch today

My own homemade Steak and Kidney Pie, Chips and Peas. All swilled down with a large mug of Tetleys Tea.

Not every Day for this kind of Lunch,  ........ But just once in a while ... the bliss.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

My Missus and Daughter used to buy those horrible cardboard " French Fries " out of a Freezer.

I showed them how to make, and cook Traditional English Chips, and now they do not even want to look at the cardboard things.

My own homemade Steak and Kidney Pie, Chips and Peas. All swilled down with a large mug of Tetleys Tea.

Not every Day for this kind of Lunch,  ........ But just once in a while ... the bliss.

Aye, lad, food of the gods but I hope that included proper gravy made with real meat juices. ????

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

My wife is a great cook she can make me anything but she never realised proper chips were made from potatoes until I showed her how we used to do, peel the potatoes and cut them up she thought all chips came in a frozen bag.

A while back we bought an airfryer it's great for doing chips and roast potatoes 

16 hours ago, billythehat said:

Decidedly average breakfast I thought there, ruined further by the awful plastic white bread for the toast. Not very ‘Yorkhire’ in style at all if one has sampled such. 

Dont give me that white bread it's like cardboard and they only half toast it

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My wife is a great cook she can make me anything but she never realised proper chips were made from potatoes until I showed her how we used to do, peel the potatoes and cut them up she thought all chips came in a frozen bag.

A while back we bought an airfryer it's great for doing chips and roast potatoes 

Agree. We always make our own chips from potatoes and never buy the tasteless frozen ones.

Soak the raw chips on water over night to remove a lot of the starch...then cook then the next day in the air frier....makes them much healthier than the frozen ones too.....and a heck of a lot cheaper! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, billythehat said:

Aye, lad, food of the gods but I hope that included proper gravy made with real meat juices. ????

The S & K Pie has all the Gravy required. The Gravy inside is from the Braising of the Kidneys and Beef.

It really does not get any better.

English breakfast at Summer Horse Cafe, Phuket Town, near Bangkok hospital (it's 9n Google Map)..., I happened to be nearby and remembered someone recommended this. Breakfast all day, nice menu with other stuff too...

Not bad, baked beans were a bit too sweet for me, and I prefer toast and butter and marmalade come together at the beginning to eat with my tea/coffee.l, will ask next time..., otherwise tasty...

255b includes coffee or juice, not both, although she brought me a glass of water and ice...

Anyway, you guys are way behind, get out there and post some photos...!

20201030_125205.jpg

20201030_111250.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1