Sub Meter

sucher

If you're handy with electrical stuff, here's an option you can install in your breaker panel.  Shop around and you may get a better price...  If you do shop Lazada, make sure you specify local sources, or you may be waiting a long time for goodies from China.  (Though they may be cheaper, and I've never been stiffed in dozens of Chinese transactions on Lazada and AliExpress)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/qianmei-peacefair-pzem-022-ac-ct-100a-i282080968-s459140762.html

Edit:  I'd also look for one with a CT (current transformer donut) closer to the breaker rating.  The linked 100A CT will work, but won't be as accurate in the lower ranges as (for example) a 20A CT.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ac-0-20a-80-260v-pzem-021-ac-20a-i1157612918-s2712880367.html

Edited by impulse

Yeah ^^^, those units work well for a quick check although they are not particularly accurate.

If you intend sub-metering for billing purposes you need a proper energy meter, I have a couple of these Hiking units https://th.aliexpress.com/item/32919001382.html which have RS-485 for remote reading.

WiFi versions are also available which can also turn off the power by remote control https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000530641386.html

2 hours ago, sucher said:

Not do easy to understand this completely. I am in Pattaya. Any of you know a Professional who can help me to move forward? 

Thanks 

Can't help with a pro I'm afraid, but he is going to ask "What do you want to achieve?".

As I noted above a quick check or billing for a tenant / lodger / maid or something else?

1 hour ago, sucher said:

https://th.aliexpress.com/item/32919001382.html. I sadly have only basic Electrical Knowledge. How would I install this. Is it going directly in the Breaker box? It shows a Picture how to but I still don't get it 

You probably need a sparks but we can point you in the direction you need to go before you speak to sparky.

First task, please post a photo of the breaker board for the room in question, preferably with the lid off (care please) so we can determine what you have and what you will need.

Also, does the sub-board have it's own breaker in the main board (so you can kill all power to the sub) that would make DIY much safer for you.

Three options:

• An external meter, like the Mitsubishi mf-33e which is pretty accurate, the utility provider are using those too. Hook'd up between the condo box and room box.
  • An internal energy usage counter in your condo box
  • An internal energy usage counter in the box that's in the room.

The latter two , is convenient if the box is the type 'DIN' and comes in various shapes, mostly two-gang/slot wide.

image.png.18803db0f7ca5b41a883e32273d0b130.png

But as already said, they are sometimes not very accurate over time but also not far off.

For quick reading and over a short period like a month they are pretty accurate to say.

Even official meters can loose it's accuracy over time and eligible for replacement if the error is greater than 3%.

If they are within the 1% error after manufacturing then they are sold as class B and pretty much the utility company uses those a lot.

20 minutes ago, sucher said:

This is my Breaker Box. Looks like a Square D? 

Yep it is,  a click on system.

The kWh meters for DIN rail won't fit in this box properly.

Not impossible though but not suggested for starters.

An option and the best is to replace the box OR put another small box for only the meter next to it.

Are both the boxes (room and condo) the same type?

52281.thumb.jpg.0da371618d82920baaa16ebb84c219d2.jpg

This is here right under a 4 gang Square D box.

Eventually it will move into the square D when two groups finally has moved to a new box in another room.

It will then freely 'float' in the box which will be fine as it weight nothing, doesn't has moving parts and it doesn't need to be connected to the click-on live bar as it will be fed with a jumper wire from a breaker.

Wow Metropolitan. That looks great. So I can use this Sub-meter with my existing Box, right? 

Where can I now get this Meter? I am not good with Electrical Stuff. You think I can install this? 

Thanks so much you all for your assistance 

1 hour ago, sucher said:

IMG_20200827_120646.jpg

It looks like, according the text under breaker 3, that this is the Consumer Unit of your condo. Right?

Is the box/CU in the room the same type or an DIN type?

14 minutes ago, sucher said:

So I can use this Sub-meter with my existing Box, right? 

Not hard. Yes.

Where can I now get this Meter?

A lot sources, like Lazada, Shop24, eBay, ali and Shopee.

I like to order trough Shopee.  Easy to pay, good protection, overview, promotions,..

The main desktop website is in Thai and if you can't read Thai then use the application on your phone which offers both Thai and English language.

A search result on 'kwh meter' will give you a lot options, it is the best to keep the words counts low as there are many sellers, even the overseas ones,  are posting in Thai language.

image.png.afba8910ab669501a1603a92d0888054.png

Check the text under each picture under the stars in the right-bottom. and when you read 'ต่างประเทศ' that is delivery from outside Thailand, which is cheaper but also longer waiting.

If the text says 'จังหวัด...' or you click on 'ภายในประเทศ'(in the search filter on the left) then delivery will be faster as the item is in stock in Thailand.

On the phone apps it's in English, 'overseas' = cheaper and longer waiting for the item to be delivered.

From overseas 175-250 thb. From Thai seller +-550thb.

I got mine from overseas and had to wait 2 weeks once and another came after 30 days.

The box, I already had. Took it from my origin country.  It's a 3 gang Schneider, which came with the solar installation.

Boxes I always ordered from sellers in Thailand, they are produced here.

I did a search but didn't see small one like the one I have.  But on Lazada there is one.

Consider replacing the Square D box for a neat DIN box with all breakers and the kWh counter combined together.

Will cost you no more than 800thb excluding installation, example box complete with breakers.  (And with RCBO safety here)

I am not good with Electrical Stuff. You think I can install this? 

Perhaps you better ask the condo management or an 'aircon-fitter' / 'village-spark' to install for you for a pocket money say 500thb most will do.

* nb , text with underlines are links to the pages with the search results ????

^  Both will give you the usage of the room, yep.

The first one you still need a enclosure, but it gives more information like voltage and amps along with counting the kWh usage.

1135339272_Screenshot_2020-08-27USD1941HouseholdelectricitymeterrentalelectronicformAC220Vrail-typemicro-digitalsmart....png.bae8f604574883b9561124161da62c0a.png

The second device is analog and you will still be able to read it when the electric is cut. ????

5(15) is not for big houses with a lot of appliances.

An aircon, tv and some lights will work fine on that with good accuracy on the measuring.

For only the room, it is good.

8 hours ago, sucher said:

So, the new Meter arrived. When I look at it and look at my opened up Breaker box.... It seams not complicated at all. If you know what you doing or seen it done before. ????

IMG_20200829_150306.jpg

I would replace the box ???? but as long if the breakers are not structurally damaged keep it.

And as suspected already, no earthing to your sockets, or maybe it is but twisted together somewhere else as though the casing seems to be earthed :whistling:

Please remove the screws,  brrrr ...

Not complicated indeed, especially if you mount the meter on top of the consumer unit, then you only need to cut the cable which goes to breaker 3 and neutral bar, and connect the meter in between.

IMG_20200829_150333.jpg

????

Make sure the live wire (GREY wire) is connected to the outer terminals and neutral wire (BLACK wires) connected to the inner two terminals.

EDIT:  Be careful and work with the mains OFF.

In doubt, just ask an techie to do it for you. For 200-300 thb many will do that for you.

EDIT2: make sure you get the right cable, it seems there are two going to the 3rd breaker.

Or are both going to the sub box in the room? Please post a pic of that box and inside of it.

Edited by Metropolitian

Thank you so much for your assistance in this. Great to have People like you on TV. 

Even with your Explanation I not fully get it what to do. For example, what is the neutral Bar? I don't want to take a chance with this. So I better stay away from it. I got hold today of a Electrican. Could be a Week before its done. Better than nothing. I will post here the Development. 

Thanks all for now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...