Legal for cops to keep your car driving license ?

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Nothing is "official" fine in Thailand! If you not do nothing else than drive car whitout rear plate, i dont know why need pay anything. Or max 500 bth. Maybe you run in to first honest cop in Thailand! I assume you had Thai license?

Yes, and they kept it while I went to the police station to pay the fine, even though I had the receipt in the car from the transport dept to get the new number plate

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

The speeding fines I get in the mail look fairly official and if ignored and not paid they won't let you renew the yearly road tax.

I just renewed without paying any fines, so it's just BS !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, actonion said:

My wife received speeding fine for 500b in the post ..  photos of  the front end of her car number plate, they said if  the fine  is  not paid you will no longer be able to tax your car, she has never paid the fine,  that was 3 years ago, and her car taxed every year..

Same here. 

I wanted to pay my speeding ticket, but my wife told me not to. 

Ive renewed my tax twice since. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Same here. 

I wanted to pay my speeding ticket, but my wife told me not to. 

Ive renewed my tax twice since. 

If I'm correct it only came to affect this year that you can't renew tax with outstanding fines. The older tickets from before the change probably don't count?

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Maybe you run in to first honest cop in Thailand!

Or you could presume that the big boss is too lazy to go out to fill in the fines, as opposed to sitting in air conditioned comfort in his police office, and of course they have double fine books, one for themselves and one for the main government.

Ask me how I know this, well the wife has an uncle who is a cop and he has told us how his police station operates, honest cops in Thailand don't last long was another thing he told us, they end up converting or leaving, it's part of the system.

• Like 1

Legal for cops to keep your car driving license ?

As duly appointed and authorized law enforcement representatives of the democratically elected, completely honest, corruption-free government…they can do anything they want.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, ezzra said:

A joke.. someone received a photo in the mail showing him crossing a red light and demand for a 1,000 baht penalty so he sent a photo of a 1,000 baht note back...

It is not FUNNY or a JOKE to cross a red light. It bis IRRESPONSIBLE, DL ought to be renounced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1