BKK to Chiang Mai

AlfHuy

Good morning,

I am planning a trip from BKK to Chiang Mai.

I looked google maps and it says that the trip takes around 9 hours.

Now, I wondering if it would be better to fly or to take an overnight train.

I don't want to stop along the road for sightseeing, just go from A to B.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Train is pretty poop, and slow, and uncomfortable.

Overnight bus or fly are the usual choices made by anyone who isn't a tourist.

Loads of bus from MorChit bus station leaving every 20-30 minutes, no need to book in advance.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best trains to Chiang Mai

The journey takes between 11 and 14 hours to do the journey. 

• Daytime: If you enjoy train travel and want to look out the window as you go then book Train #7 which departs at 08.30. This journey is the only one during which you cross the mountains in daylight. 
  • Sleeper: If you would like to sleep on the train and arrive early in Chiang Mai for a full day of activities then book Train #9 which departs at 18.10. Train #9 uses the new train carriages brought into service in November 2016.
  • Travel Tip: Train #7 and Train #9 are the most popular departures so be sure to book in advance as they often sell out before the day of travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some good options with SRT, but the extra planning and trips to buy tickets will be more difficult than shopping and getting a cheaper air fare on an LCC.  As BMT states, bus is two hours faster...and that is if the trains are actually on time.  CNX is more convenient than Arcade or the train station.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

CNX is more convenient than Arcade or the train station.

Not sure how you work that one out.

Arcade is 2 minutes walk from the bus station, and a Songtaw to town (or SanSai where I live) is 20bht.

CNX walk to the Hang Dong road is wayyyyyyy longer.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure how you work that one out.

Arcade is 2 minutes walk from the bus station, and a Songtaw to town (or SanSai where I live) is 20bht.

CNX walk to the Hang Dong road is wayyyyyyy longer.

I lived by CMU.  It is less than 1 km from gate to Hang Dong Rd.  10 THB to the Moat.  

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Don't take the train, it's slow and uncomfortable. ThaiViet air do single tickets for 900 baht, a no-brainer. 

About three hours is my limit on the train..it can be a surprisingly better trip than the minibus, and much safer, but not a good alternative to flying.

2 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Best trains to Chiang Mai

The journey takes between 11 and 14 hours to do the journey. 

• Daytime: If you enjoy train travel and want to look out the window as you go then book Train #7 which departs at 08.30. This journey is the only one during which you cross the mountains in daylight. 
  • Sleeper: If you would like to sleep on the train and arrive early in Chiang Mai for a full day of activities then book Train #9 which departs at 18.10. Train #9 uses the new train carriages brought into service in November 2016.
  • Travel Tip: Train #7 and Train #9 are the most popular departures so be sure to book in advance as they often sell out before the day of travel.

The new train carriages are good

I have flown from BKK or DMK to Chiang Mai over 5 times.

It is so inexpensive.  

With some pre planning it is about 2000 baht Round Trip

I would never take a train or a bus.

However, I would consider driving a car to take advantage of exploring areas on the way.

There is the option of taking a luxury VIP bus...there are a couple bus lines running from BKK to CM. They have comfortable captain's type chairs, wifi, and clean toilets and are faster than the train (by 3-4 hours). The price is about the same as the First Class express train sleepers. Google "Bangkok Chiang Mai VIP bus."

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

9 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There is the option of taking a luxury VIP bus...there are a couple bus lines running from BKK to CM. They have comfortable captain's type chairs, wifi, and clean toilets and are faster than the train (by 3-4 hours). The price is about the same as the First Class express train sleepers. Google "Bangkok Chiang Mai VIP bus."

But on the train you might actually be able to sleep.  And not need to wear arctic clothing.  Bus for me was always a last resort due both comfort and safety.  VIP at best is air travel on land and longer than a couple hours not that great.  Train you have comfortable bed if not overly tall.  Air is faster normally but not sure how many hours processing these days or current costs.  But indeed flight would be my first choice for point to point.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But on the train you might actually be able to sleep.  And not need to wear arctic clothing.  Bus for me was always a last resort due both comfort and safety.  VIP at best is air travel on land and longer than a couple hours not that great.  Train you have comfortable bed if not overly tall.  Air is faster normally but not sure how many hours processing these days or current costs.  But indeed flight would be my first choice for point to point.

Have you seen or ridden one of these VIP busses...nothing like the Roung Rung or Nakohnchai Air inter-city buses...these are real luxury and employ quality drivers. It's just another option. If speed is number one take the plane...if not, the First Class Express Sleeper train or the VIP bus are great (or split one up another down).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Have you seen or ridden one of these VIP busses...nothing like the Roung Rung or Nakohnchai Air inter-city buses...these are real luxury and employ quality drivers.

Yes I had extensive experience on VIP trips between Bangkok and Hat Yai in years past.  Including many back roads to avoid demonstrations and burning tires.  And yes they are of an airline comfort re seating - but often meat locker temp and roads are not like rails for sleep (unless you are Thai it seems).  As for drivers the accident rate is not just your driver but the driver that hits you.  As for the two deck VIP buses will never ride them again - totally unsafe on any curve.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes I had extensive experience on VIP trips between Bangkok and Hat Yai in years past.  Including many back roads to avoid demonstrations and burning tires.  And yes they are of an airline comfort re seating - but often meat locker temp and roads are not like rails for sleep (unless you are Thai it seems).  As for drivers the accident rate is not just your driver but the driver that hits you.  As for the two deck VIP buses will never ride them again - totally unsafe on any curve.

A coat and long trousers are essential for any bus or air journey.

47 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Just fly total time maybe 3 hours at the airport, 1 hour and 30 min. flying time. Got to hotel, check in and then go for a walk around town. It really isn't rocket science.

I would not spend a minute thinking.

Plenty of flights from Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang.

• Like 1