Thai driving licences: Those with certain diseases to be barred - Big Bike confirmed as 400cc up

rooster59

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

There may not be a test at all ... Provided you have a valid bike licence that covers you for a bike over 400cc from your home country, I can't see why this should be any different.  If it is, not really a problem.

That'd seem sensible but the problem might be that UK licences, and many others I suspect, are generally power-based rather than size-based. Thai licensing people might give a 'big bike' licence as a direct exchange for UK Category A (unrestricted) licence, and equivalents from other countries, but can't see them considering doing the same for any of the 7 other UK motorcycle categories.

Just out of interest and a question for Americans, maybe Ozzies too - do you have different licence conditions for each state rather than a single, national licence standard as UK and others? That might introduce problems of its own - while they might give a 'big bike' licence for e.g. a UK Cat. A licence, they might throw the towel in at the thought of reconciling 50-odd different USA state standards.

I might go for this new licence, just to have it, but I doubt I'll ever want a 400cc+ bike here. My 250cc bike does all ask of it now.

But all just speculation at the moment. 

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Disease?

What disease is it in which the symptoms are arrogance, stupidity, and supreme selfishness?

Thainess

Yep I went there, standing by for the use of the patriotic word to be slammed...

Edited by ThailandRyan

they need to get a grip of these mopeds with sidecars, they take up as much room as a car on the roads, often carry more passengers than my car is permitted to legally carry, are notoriously difficult to handle, and are driven very slowly forcing drivers to overtake on country roads. The owners often neglect to replace broken rear lights making them dangerous at night

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

they need to get a grip of these mopeds with sidecars, they take up as much room as a car on the roads, often carry more passengers than my car is permitted to legally carry, are notoriously difficult to handle, and are driven very slowly forcing drivers to overtake on country roads. The owners often neglect to replace broken rear lights making them dangerous at night

And them BumWaggin Lycre Louts on Racing Bikes 4 abreast at twighlight. Arrogant Nobs 80% of em.

19 hours ago, transam said:

You have underage school kids all over the country riding m/bikes to SCHOOL with no problems, except getting killed, and they pick on big bikes that the masses can't afford. ????

They going to stop rental shops renting big bikes to tourists.....? 

Was going to mention your valid point.  Only a few days ago a camel jockey ended up dead when he rented a big bike.  Hit a pole at speed. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Weird that they scapegoat those with congenital disease, but the much bigger problem is drink, no helmet, no licence, speeding, how about law enforcement?

Quite agree .It's not the size of the bike ,it's the person who's riding it .The speed is determined by the right hand. The motorcycle is a one or two people vehicle and I've seen as many as five people on one bike and the insurance becomes null and void. Same with any vehicle if there's more people in it or on it that it states. Pick up are a good example , it's a good vehicle ,not a passenger  carrying one ,so anyone in the rear are not insured.

10 minutes ago, Percy P said:

The motorcycle is a one or two people vehicle

Only in some countries. In others three or four normal. Unless you would rather walk?

10 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Pick up are a good example , it's a good vehicle ,not a passenger  carrying one

So carrying passengers in a pickup is illegal. I've not heard that one in Asia. Some have four doors and two rows of seats.

farm workers to the fields in the bed? Why not. Unless again you would prefer to walk.

Cultural imperialist nonsense is what you speak.

9 hours ago, MartinL said:

Thai licensing people might give a 'big bike' licence as a direct exchange for UK Category A (unrestricted) licence, and equivalents from other countries, but can't see them considering doing the same for any of the 7 other UK motorcycle categories.

I think you will find that most UK big bike riders will have an unrestricted licence - mid range bikes are not very popular here, once peope pass their test. Also, given the age of most UK ex pats in Thailand, I think most of them will have the old style licence where you could ride a bike up to 250cc on a provisional licence and then were unrestricted once you passed your test.

Edited by KhaoYai

35 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think you will find that most UK big bike riders will have an unrestricted licence - mid range bikes are not very popular here, once peope pass their test. Also, given the age of most UK ex pats in Thailand, I think most of them will have the old style licence where you could ride a bike up to 250cc on a provisional licence and then were unrestricted once you passed your test.

Yep, I'm one of those folks.

Edited by MartinL

11 hours ago, Old Dissenter said:

Blimey. If they put diabetes on the list that will mean half the country is no longer able to drive.

DIABETES can be controlled......diet and tablets and exersise.....driving can only be controlled by skilled people behind the steering wheel.....!!!

No mention of the research that has been done to show that congenital disease is a major cause of accidents.

No mention of research that has been done to establish which congenital diseases other countries in the top quartile of low accidents have decided to ban form driving.

What? you mean no such research has been done? Really? I give up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice idea,if you don,t have a license go to court and fined.No problem get back on the bike no license .My friend in cnx,she has never had a license.keep saying I will do it one day.Also the thais will say in parts of cnx don,t drive round corners at night police waiting.chiangmai ram hospital is the place they don,t go round corners at night.

If they do bring in something like that rule,I would say tell the school kids who drive a scooter everyday home.the police know and parents too.We all know that the school kids are too young to hold a license but turn a blind eye every afternoon.

All the talk and pr nothing going to happen over this

agree it is driving too slowly that cause accidents 

Driving over fast

Alcohol 

Lack of road knowledge

Drugs

Pot holes

Dogs running across roads

People driving in the wrong side of the road

People driving on foot paths 

No seat  belts

No helmets

Buffalo's stuck in roads 

Debris from other cars 

People overtaking band undertaking a car at the same time.

Teenagers 

List goes on.

In allot of countries only have to do the test once

Obviously  Thailand  don't trust their  own testing system or we wouldn't  have to take it everybody years everybody years  extra lol

What about educating the population on the fact that deaths on the road are mostly the drivers' fault. When 1/3 of the population believe nothing they do will change fate, that is a clear starting point for education. 

Whenever I need a good laugh, Thai Visa's posts on new laws and rules is my go to place.