Who makes their own Bread?

ChipButty

40 minutes ago, colinneil said:

ChipButty, just do everything by hand, i do, just put a loaf in the oven 10 minutes ago.

No need for any fancy gadgets, mixers, bread machines.

As Cmarshall said, pita breads are damned good, i sometimes make pita bread, then cook chicken mixed with peppers, garlic, onion, carrot, and make pita bread rolls, delicious with a dollop of garlic mayo.

It's not me it's her indoors I just get the feeling gadgets on the horizon 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, colinneil said:

ChipButty, just do everything by hand, i do, just put a loaf in the oven 10 minutes ago.

No need for any fancy gadgets, mixers, bread machines.

As Cmarshall said, pita breads are damned good, i sometimes make pita bread, then cook chicken mixed with peppers, garlic, onion, carrot, and make pita bread rolls, delicious with a dollop of garlic mayo.

Yes, agree with you all the way. People who use bread machines are amateurs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

Yes, agree with you all the way. People who use bread machines are amateurs.

I would say that bread machines make ok bread and only ok, you can only make one loaf at a time, two at the most on some machines. 

Hand kneading you can make as many loafs as you require at one time, I make 5 which uses a 1 kg bag of flour. I freeze them all and that will usually last me about 10 - 14 days.

But at the end of the day it is horses for courses.

• Like 1

I own a Kenwood Cooking Chef. It is a brilliant machine. Not only is it a stand mixer, but it also cooks thanks to its induction heating device. For bread-making (and pizza, pita and everything else), it is awesome, the heating part allowing to have the dough rise inside the bowl, at the optimal temperature.

This said, the no-knead method with a Dutch Oven works beautifully too, without the need for expensive gear.

The harder part might be to procure the special flour needed for multi-cereal breads. Our local TOPS has a competent bakery department. They make delicious European breads, which is convenient and cheap. So I do not bother making bread very often.

Home-made soft sandwich bread might be a better candidate, as the industrial products available around are not great at all. And int is very easy to make oneself.

• Like 1

Thats whats happened she started baking just for me once a week now shes got friends want some she even shipped some to BKK last week I dont want my wife to look like Popeye she likes making the Italian style bread.

I like home made bread. I own 2 bread machines, and sometimes still make some by hand. But I swear that the Panasonic bread machine is just about perfect. In 3 hours you have a perfect loaf, and you don't have to do much except put the ingredients in the pan, make your settings, and push START. If you can find a machine for under 3000 baht it's a bargain!! New they run about 5-6,000 but are really hard to find in Thailand.I think Robinsons carries some, but I'm not sure. I see them occasionally on the FB pages in Pattaya such as "Stuff for sale in Pattaya", and "Pattaya second hand". Best prices for flour are at Makro, and Friendship in Pattaya has a special caterers store next to the big store on S. Pattaya Road. Many different types of flour available there. But the best store in all of Thailand for all baking needs is YOK in Chiang Mai!! Has literally everything! Everything!!!

• Like 2

Used a breadmachine for a long time: loved the smell and taste of fresh bread when i get out of bed.

Main downside is that the bread goes stale pretty quick. A warm loaf is great, the second round is mediocre and after that i can throw it away.

But this topic is interesting, think i will pick up bread making again soon as i really love bread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

I do everything by hand 

Can't see the point of buying gadgets for ten minutes kneading - very therapeutic.

Wholemeal or nice crusty white bread. Smells great, and so easy.

You just need time to wait for the dough to prove - one hour, and one hour or whatever.

The key is to use decent bread flour in my humble opinion.

The question is where to find what you call "decent" floor / I come from a bread eating country and in my home country I never have any negative digestive reaction (acid stomach) / but the bread here including the one made by my wife with great care requires me many times to take anti acid medication with ONE exception....the bread sold in the shops called "The Baguette" in Hua Hin and Cha Am but that is at more than 200 Km from where I live

Edited by fvw53
too much space for photos

I have tried a few times over the years, but it always comes out like a brick. My recent attempt was similar despite following religiously the video for my favourite Portuguese bread. Just can't get it right.

Started a month ago, very easy no knead recipe.  Works a treat and crusty bread out of the oven.

Basically 400 g of bread flour, 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, 1 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.  Add 300ml of room temperature water and use a plastic spoon to mix until all combined and nothing stuck to the bowl - 3 minutes.

Put a loose plastic bag over it and let it prove overnight - 12 hours is great.

Empty out onto floured surface and roll into a ball for about two minutes and put into a greased round baking tin about 8 inch diameter.  Put plastic bag over it and leave for half an hour.  Meantime shove a cast iron pot and lid in the oven to warm up for 30 minutes at around 200C.

Put baking tin in cast iron pot with lid on and bake for 30-40 minutes, then take the lid off and bake for further 10-15 minutes.

Brown and crusty bread dead easy.  Seems to last a while as well but loses crustiness after a day.

• Like 1

I do just made 2 loafs whole wheat simple and straight no additive only wheat,  water, yeast with a little sugar, milk powder,  olive oil little amount of salt and a kneading machine and oven not to forget 

I was making my own for awhile but stopped as my waistline was starting to expand faster than the loaves were rising.

I've tried a variety of different recipes. Mostly I use a regular mixer with the "dough hook" attachments when first mixing the ingredients. I have a large, round plastic "cutting board" that I use for kneading thedough and one of those counter top grill/oven/broiler thingies with the glass door.

This recipe worked quite well: https://www.food.com/recipe/quick-yeast-bread-89164?fbclid=IwAR2LubOHqFEXv64RcXMv2n38zBAKknEDuNJg53W09GJRnNZcHkXCsKNcjrs

Biggest problem is the yeast it seems. I was doing great then, for some strange reason last February, everything was coming out flat and heavy. I bought fresh yeast (checked the expiry dates), added extra to the recipe and let the dough sit longer to rise but it wouldn't so I ended up with some very heavy breads and rolls. Good for mopping up stews and curries, not so good for anything else.
Haven't made any since then. When everyone else was panic buying toilet paper and eggs though, I was stocking up on flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Got a cupboard full now that I probably should start using if for no other reason than to clear up some space.
Generally I just use the generic Kite All Purpose flour. I'm not a gourmet and it does the job. I've also tried the generic Kite flour that's meant for baking. Didn't keep track of which worked better though.

I also liked experimenting with the recipes a bit as I have a large shelf full of spices too.

One experiment that worked really well with the recipe above was to add a couple teaspoons of red chili powder to the flour when mixing it. I made some great loaves and buns that made for some great sandwiches afterwards. I made some pizza dough like that as well.

I've also added a couple teaspoons of Italian Seasoning to some batches to make a sort of "pizza bread". I've also tried adding some grated Parmesan cheese in but it seems you need to add quite a bit to be able to taste it afterwards.

I also butter the tops of the buns/rolls/loaves as soon as I take them out of the oven. Less crusty that way. 
51371507_10156739024109220_5051875906629402624_o.thumb.jpg.940862bddf3e64b215a0cddd3a478681.jpg  48388512_10156615628944220_4485900741453545472_o.jpg.066187230357cf50accfa125311b794c.jpg

• Like 1