Strange Pricing At Anantara Riverside Bangkok

haymanpl

This is the quote sent to me for ASQ accommodation. 95,000 baht for a 1 bedroom riverside suite. When i emailed Anantara Riverside Bangkok today to book the 1 bedroom suite, this is what they stated.

Kindly be informed you that the Anantara Riverfront Suite can accommodate for 2 person is at THB 190,000.

Why would they quote me for a 2 bedroom when i wanted to book a 1 bedroom? Why i asked them, this is what they stated :

For this package advertise on the website is not update (old version) and the price that you see is for Thai citizen and foreigner as well. So, kindly review the update version as enclose for reference.

Also, why is it i am forced to purchase a package that includes 3 meals per day when i formally only eat 1 - 2 times per day and i can't bring my own food or order from outside?

Seems they may only allow booking of 1 bedroom riverside suites for Thai citizens only.

ananatara.png

2.png

Edited by haymanpl

I just tried to make a reservation for the Anantara Riverfront Suite and I found (a) nothing available until 1 November and (b) the rate was 10,266 baht per night.  So I am confused by your post.

2020-08-29_102042.jpg

WAIT  Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ)   

So you want to stay there under quarantine which is, as I understand it, a stay in the room though there may be limited allowed movement outside the room.   Quarantine is 14 days, isn't it?   So 14 days for 6,7XX baht/day with meals for one person or 13,5XX baht/day for 2?  Did you give the impression you wanted accommodations for 2 people?

So I am still confused.  This does not seem excessive for being quarantined.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

some have got more money than sense IMO, it's still in Bangkok after all where you can get a 5 star on the river for less than 2k these days

Its for 14 days Quarantine so i think she has less choice of where to stay along the river

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ab1594 said:

I think her complaint is the fact that the price they 1st sent to her on the quotation was for 95,000THB and then when she tried to book the room the price was changed to 190,000THB

Maybe the cheaper price is the normal rates and the higher price is the quarantine rates ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Maybe the cheaper price is the normal rates and the higher price is the quarantine rates ?

In the Please Note section of the picture it says its the package for International Arrivals.

It looks like maybe it is a per person price as they say the room can take 2 people 95x2=190??

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

That does not appear to be the case however as it clearly indicated extra charges if hospital stays are required.  

Friend of mine is arriving on Monday and he told me he was paying 55,000 baht for the 14 nights in Bangkok, so I suppose it depends on the choice of the hotel you select for your quarantine, location shouldn't have anything to do with it as no one is going to be able to go anywhere, as for doubling the price for 2 people, well that's just trying to pull the wool over your eyes isn't it, next !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Friend of mine is arriving on Monday and he told me he was paying 55,000 baht for the 14 nights in Bangkok, so I suppose it depends on the choice of the hotel you select for your quarantine, location shouldn't have anything to do with it as no one is going to be able to go anywhere, as for doubling the price for 2 people, well that's just trying to pull the wool over your eyes isn't it, next !

"pull wool over eyes"?  I think I'd call it the usual "screwing farang visitors" 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 2

The whole thing is a ripoff, however back in the days of normal tourism, hotel and flight packages would show a low price, but somewhere in smaller print: PER PERSON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.  I always was tempted by the charters from SFO to Honolulu..airfare and five nights..299 usd, but if you went alone it was 499.

Maybe just a miss understanding, the other person thinks that you want to stay with two persons.

It would of course also not really surprise me if they advertise a "per person price", but have a minimum occupancy of two persons.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, ab1594 said:

I think her complaint is the fact that the price they 1st sent to her on the quotation was for 95,000THB and then when she tried to book the room the price was changed to 190,000THB

Yes, for only 1 person.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:52 PM, impulse said:

Maybe they're sold out of one room choices, and they don't want to offer a 2 room suite to a single person (at the single ASQ rate) when they can probably rent it out to 2 people at the 2 person rate.

It's a 1 bedroom suite with another room for the living area but they have changed it's so they can force 2 people minimum and make twice as much. Its pure greed.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:24 PM, noise said:

I just tried to make a reservation for the Anantara Riverfront Suite and I found (a) nothing available until 1 November and (b) the rate was 10,266 baht per night.  So I am confused by your post.

2020-08-29_102042.jpg

My post includes the quote for ASQ. They should honor the quote.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:47 PM, jackdd said:

Maybe just a miss understanding, the other person thinks that you want to stay with two persons.

It would of course also not really surprise me if they advertise a "per person price", but have a minimum occupancy of two persons.

No, the quote is for the suite for 1 person. It's clear. But they then changed it and want twice as much.

The suite is different to the normal room. It's essentially a seperate living room area and a seperate bedroom. It is for 2 people. Most people who will book that room are 2 people. 

One way they could have avoided your nonsense was just quoting you the full price - INSTEAD of some confusion that it was meant for 2 rooms. After all we have not read all correspondence you had with them - so they may have assumed it was for 2 people. 

They do not have to honour any price because of an error with the quoting. 

Edited by AndrewMciver