Recommend a Digital TV Receiver please.

giddyup

I have a seldom used 55 inch Panasonic Plasma TV that isn't digital, so it only receives analog channels. I have bought locally made receivers before like Aconatic, but they are rubbish, lucky if you get 12 months out of them. Obviously there is no point spending too much on a 10 year old TV, but has anyone had any luck with locally made Digital TV Receivers?

What happens after 12 months ?

There is probably not much difference between brands, maybe avoid the really cheap ones.

Unless it gets a surge or similar, they should keep working for years.

• Like 2

The receivers for sale in Thailand are all "much the same"  for about 700 baht up.. all the ones I've looked at have  a USB port that can  connect to a flash drive or hard drive to record or playback recordings, have  HDMI and composite outputs and a remote control...you could try importing some "high end" equipment form Europe or UK which use the same DVB-T2 standard but the Thai customs department may have a nice surprise for you ! :wacko:

• Like 1

Is it for watching Thai TV? 

If so, why don't you look at the streaming boxes now available from the likes of true, and ais? 

They are pretty cheap, 

And have different packages, depending on what you want to spend, with a free package of basic Thai channels to start with, much the same as the old satellite subscription, only replacing the dish with a fiber connection. 

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

That's a nice antique. Try to flog it as such and get yourself a real 55inch TV for 17k to 22k.

Did you read the part where I said seldom used? I have a 55 inch 4K Sony Bravia in the bedroom that's the one I watch normally.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Did you read the part where I said seldom used? I have a 55 inch 4K Sony Bravia in the bedroom that's the one I watch normally.

I have a warm and loving southern Thai lady that shares my bedroom....who needs a TV :whistling:

On a more serious note our Haier didgi box has been fine for the past 4 years in our lounge :thumbsup:

On 8/22/2020 at 5:43 PM, giddyup said:

They die.

I've been using this for 2 years not cremated yet,  cost a bit more than 700 baht though.

P_20181225_094529.thumb.jpg.898c652d690b003ae32a5ffbf366aba3.jpg

23 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

That's a nice antique. Try to flog it as such and get yourself a real 55inch TV for 17k to 22k.

Plasma seems to be much more  forgiving of digital artefacts I can watch low bitrate 420P

( small file size) an my 50 inch Plasma and it looks fine (to me) at 2.5 meters away..one big disadvantage of Plasma though is  its so noisy in the remote control frequency that sometimes with a very bright screen even the original remote has trouble getting through..I was pulling my hair out wondering why a home made universal remote for my Aircon,lights and TV stopped working when the TV was on ???? 

• Like 1

Buy a tv setup that included a mini-dish; cabling - and then - while I am NOT a fan of TrueTV, they have one thing going for their boxes - included in your list of (free/included) channels is Fox HD.  That channel is not available elsewhere from another satellite box.

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Don't mean to offend, but your plasma TV remains an antique, why fiddle with cables and boxes while a new 50 inches screen would cost just a wee bit more and connect to Internet. I have removed True from our home 5 years ago and supply free content to the whole family, much better than any cable/satellite subscription I've ever had. 

I know, with ADHD I look too much at the global picture, again, I don't want to offend.

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Don't mean to offend, but your plasma TV remains an antique, why fiddle with cables and boxes while a new 50 inches screen would cost just a wee bit more and connect to Internet. I have removed True from our home 5 years ago and supply free content to the whole family, much better than any cable/satellite subscription I've ever had. 

I know, with ADHD I look too much at the global picture, again, I don't want to offend.

A set top box costs around 400 baht, a new 55 inch LCD TV will cost at least 15,000 baht, hardly a 'wee bit more".

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

A set top box costs around 400 baht, a new 55 inch LCD TV will cost at least 15,000 baht, hardly a 'wee bit more".

giddyup....you can,t take it with you into the next life...get yer money spent while U can :thumbsup: