"The bodies keep mounting up on Thailand's roads" - damning report airing on UK TV

rooster59

"The bodies keep mounting up on Thailand's roads" - damning report airing on UK TV

Thailand_car crash.jpg

A damning and long documentary style report into Thailand's appalling road carnage is airing repeatedly on the UK's Sky News. 

In a largely accurate report that documents the issue from many angles the reporter says: "The bodies keep mounting up on Thailand's roads".

It speaks of Thailand having some of the worst accident statistics on earth and questions how the authorities can seemingly control the coronavirus pandemic but can’t cut deaths on the roads.

A tearful Thai woman talks about the devastating injuries to her young daughter.

A rescue foundation worker talks of the unwillingness of his compatriots to follow road rules. 

Others talk about drink driving and the lack of helmets.

The daily death toll average is put at 62 though this is quite a conservative estimate. 

The yearly deaths are put at 20,000 plus - a figure accepted by the government though accident prevention groups put it at 24,000 to 26,000 annually, notes Thaivisa. 

People in the report talk about the penalties for infractions being too low.

A man who collects motorcycle helmets of the dead is interviewed; he also has a tragic child's doll.

A policeman speaking in English says that he does not accept bribes.

The damning report concludes with a man hosing down what appears to be blood on the road. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-23

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I believe the injuries and death rates are high due to the number of motorbikes on the roads...in any altercation with a car or larger vehicle, the moto driver is likely to sustain severe injuries and death. This, combined with the speeding and wreckless driving by mostly young male drivers is a recipe for disaster. I actually don't see many accidents driving around Pattaya, I would experience a lot more driving around San Francisco Bay Area but car on car accidents often don't produce serious injuries or death.

• Like 2

I just find it mind boggling just seeing kids driving from school no helmets @ some mum dads helmets on but babies n kids no helmets etc...

Yet since I been here no improvement of any road discipline if that's right word ..sad ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Just make all the road deaths Covid deaths.....Thailand can then claim zero road deaths....

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Thailand has not controlled the virus.  No reporting means no virus.  As per the roads it is simply lack of enforcement.  I see countless drivers speeding past police on all occasions and idiot farang as well with windows tinted so dark you couldn't see the sun.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Captain, is the highest rang an honest cop can reach, higher up and be prepared to pay or have the right connections.

Ok maybe out of concept but anyway. My Finnish friend have high position Police friend close Udon! He's honest coz also farmer, farm 4 rai weed!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 2