Contactless Payments

In this, the year of the plague, we're being encouraged to use contactless payment methods, rather than filthy lucre or virus-coated bank cards.  It's something I'm pretty clueless about.  I know that my bank (Krung Sri) doesn't let foreigners have a PromptPay card, what so options are available to me? And what are the drawbacks?

Thanks

2 hours ago, wasabi said:

Once you start using NFC I think you'll find it far superior to using money or physical credit cards. In the time of Covid it's even more useful. Hopefully we will see this become the standard in Thailand. It already is in many other countries.

Yes it's great system , work every place in Finland! Max payment whit NFC is 50€ over that need put pin code. Limit payment is good coz if loose card, somebody can easy clean your account!

Promptpay works with most banks, at least for Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank. I use it quite a lot as well the TrueMoney wallet for paying in 7/11. No more coins and mess all the time, another big benefit is that I do not have to carry any wallet at all. I can even withdraw cash at the ATM using my phone and no card. Some phone protectors are designed in a way you can stack a few cards in the back, where I keep driving license and a credit card for reserve. Even bargirls accept promptpay hehe.

I still believe in the importance of keeping cash too though but we can't deny this new tech is a better way of doing it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, wasabi said:

Contactless payment is also called NFC (near field communication) Newer Credit cards have a symbol that looks like sideways Wifi on the bank that lets you know it can do contactless payments. Most phones can also facilitate NFC via apps like Samsung, Ali or Google Pay. It's a one time setup then you can use your phone to pay. Most of the time once setup all you have to do is unlock the phone. 

I am seeing 2 systems at stores like Tesco, Topps and Watsons that accept this. The first is from Bangkok Bangkok and never seems to work for me.

The second is using Verifone equipment and works for me.

One drawback and problem is the check out clerk has to turn on the device. Some are proficient but more than half either don't know how or are too lazy to do it, sometimes you have to gently nudge them to do it. There may be some type of cybercrime security risk but I think it's very low and the benefits offset this.

Once you start using NFC I think you'll find it far superior to using money or physical credit cards. In the time of Covid it's even more useful. Hopefully we will see this become the standard in Thailand. It already is in many other countries.

image.png

verifone-payware-mobile-e355.jpg

Have looked at the permissions demanded by the Samsung wallet app? One quick look at that was enough for me to keep using cash and credit cards...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that is being pushed more by those in control than those in business - have had no issues using cash or cards for anything and don't expect to change my ways.

image.jpeg.6bc1219d2a3714b319f697e6323f895b.jpeg

I had to replace my Kasikorn debit card and did not realise they had given me one of them!! Until I handed over my card in Big C and the girl gave it me back, my phone pinged and the payment was done!! <deleted>. Now I am worried about carrying the f..ing thing!!

????????????????

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Continue to use cash as otherwise the costs of processing these payments will cripple small businesses or get passed on to the consumer, as described in this recent article.

And yet British supermarkets are very keen on cash back at the till since it reduces their cash handling costs.  Undoubtedly they've done the sums and concluded that cash works out more expensive than card.

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Have looked at the permissions demanded by the Samsung wallet app? One quick look at that was enough for me to keep using cash and credit cards...

Just about every app you download wants access to your entire life, I haven’t come across any issues yet so I don’t worry too much. If you use a smartphone the authorities know exactly when and where you’re going anyway.

As mentioned, works with all newer bank cards that have this wireless symbol. Problem as often here, staff is not properly trained and doesn't know how to use it. Many still insist on swiping the card and even after PIN, they want a signature thought it is printed on the slip no signature required. IMO card payments soon to be superseded by mobile banking / QR code / prompt pay. Reason that many vendors told me is simplicity and cost savings. For any card payment you still need the card reader, electricity and internet connection, also there is a fee that vendors have to pay for the card processing company. QR code is just a piece of paper that you can scan or newer POS cash registers can create a barcode on the slip or a display with the amount to be paid.

23 hours ago, wasabi said:

Contactless payment is also called NFC (near field communication) Newer Credit cards have a symbol that looks like sideways Wifi on the bank that lets you know it can do contactless payments. Most phones can also facilitate NFC via apps like Samsung, Ali or Google Pay. It's a one time setup then you can use your phone to pay. Most of the time once setup all you have to do is unlock the phone. 

I am seeing 2 systems at stores like Tesco, Topps and Watsons that accept this. The first is from Bangkok Bangkok and never seems to work for me.

The second is using Verifone equipment and works for me.

One drawback and problem is the check out clerk has to turn on the device. Some are proficient but more than half either don't know how or are too lazy to do it, sometimes you have to gently nudge them to do it. There may be some type of cybercrime security risk but I think it's very low and the benefits offset this.

image.png

verifone-payware-mobile-e355.jpg

Every new Thai debit card, not only credit cards are now contactless, but only a small sum is allowed, I think it's ฿1500. But it's almost the same  thing,using the stores card-reader or contactless payment. Contactless payment is only about faster purchases, nothing else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

I had to replace my Kasikorn debit card and did not realise they had given me one of them!! Until I handed over my card in Big C and the girl gave it me back, my phone pinged and the payment was done!! <deleted>. Now I am worried about carrying the f..ing thing!!

????????????????

Do you think you can buy stuff by accident just walking by a terminal? The person behind the desk in the store still have to punch in your purchase before you can wave your card. If you just take one step back from the terminal the contactless function won't work. The working distance is really short. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, Oxx said:

I know that my bank (Krung Sri) doesn't let foreigners have a PromptPay card, what so options are available to me?

There is no PrompPay card.  It's a method of transferring money digitally. If you have mobile banking, you should be able to register it with your mobile phone number inside the app.

That being said, you can also do electronic transfers to other Thai banks mostly free of charge without using promptpay too. This includes paying by scanning barcodes inside your mobile banking app.

The Bangkok bank debit card doesn't work despite having a contactless symbol. They told me 'only outside Thailand' when asked. Idiots! I'm seriously thinking of changing banks as it's also not compatible with Samsung Pay that appears to be the most widely workable contactless payment method in Thailand...

I got one of these about a year ago specifically for the contactless feature.  Tried it in a few places and the clerks had no idea what it was.  Started getting embarrassing so I contacted Bangkok Bank and asked if they had a list of participating merchants.  After several very confusing emails I was also told that this feature only works OUTSIDE Thailand, despite the website clearly stating that there is a 1500 baht limit!!  I just assumed that it was new and would eventually work but it now seems it is a designed in "feature". 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that is being pushed more by those in control than those in business - have had no issues using cash or cards for anything and don't expect to change my ways.

image.jpeg.6bc1219d2a3714b319f697e6323f895b.jpeg

I have also had no problems using my cards or cash. I saw the ads on TV when I use to watch TV, but until cash and cards are banned that is the way I'm doing business. (I haven't even heard of the contactless payment being pushed.)

On 8/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, wasabi said:

One drawback and problem is the check out clerk has to turn on the device. Some are proficient but more than half either don't know how or are too lazy to do it, sometimes you have to gently nudge them to do it.

Sounds like it's really being pushed. ????????

You don't need a special PromptPay card to use it, you just scan QR code with your banking app or transfer by phone number. It's easier to use for small businesses, since there are no fees and it works with their personal account. Credit card processing is a completely different story. If a street vendor has a bank account, then they can accept PromptPay.

2 hours ago, Gashead said:

I got one of these about a year ago specifically for the contactless feature.  Tried it in a few places and the clerks had no idea what it was.  Started getting embarrassing so I contacted Bangkok Bank and asked if they had a list of participating merchants.  After several very confusing emails I was also told that this feature only works OUTSIDE Thailand, despite the website clearly stating that there is a 1500 baht limit!!  I just assumed that it was new and would eventually work but it now seems it is a designed in "feature". 

Try it at Central. The cashier will probably take it and insert it into a machine and give it back to you with the receipt.  The contactless machines might take a while propagate. But the 1500 baht limit will mean you don't have to sign the receipt anymore for amounts under that. So it's a baby step to full contactless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

And yet British supermarkets are very keen on cash back at the till since it reduces their cash handling costs.  Undoubtedly they've done the sums and concluded that cash works out more expensive than card.

Reducing cash handling/banking costs by offering cashback makes sense as long as some people still use cash.  It doesn't follow that cash is more expensive than card as the examples in the news article show.

13 minutes ago, treetops said:

It doesn't follow that cash is more expensive than card as the examples in the news article show.

The "news article" is simply trivial journalism, not based upon a rigorous analysis of the costs.

In the supermarket cash back scheme, the supermarket has to pay a fee for the debit transaction.  However, this is less than the costs of handling the equivalent amount of cash.  (If this weren't the case, the supermarket would be losing out by offering cash back, and they wouldn't do that.)  So, it does follow that cash is more expensive than card.

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The "news article" is simply trivial journalism, not based upon a rigorous analysis of the costs.

Tell that to the business owners shown in it.  Do  you think they made up stories to satisfy their national broadcaster's taste for trivia?  Please!

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

In the supermarket cash back scheme, the supermarket has to pay a fee for the debit transaction.  However, this is less than the costs of handling the equivalent amount of cash.  (If this weren't the case, the supermarket would be losing out by offering cash back, and they wouldn't do that.)  So, it does follow that cash is more expensive than card.

They know that both types of transaction will be made and will cost them something, so the best they can do is minimise these costs and cashback is one way of doing it.  When the card charges have a fixed element per transaction then your logic is flawed.

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Do you think you can buy stuff by accident just walking by a terminal? The person behind the desk in the store still have to punch in your purchase before you can wave your card. If you just take one step back from the terminal the contactless function won't work. The working distance is really short. 

But if lost, whatever or misplaced and picked up it can be used for up to 20,000 a pop. But the point I also made is they did not tell me about it at the bank!!!!????????????????

9 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

The Bangkok bank debit card doesn't work despite having a contactless symbol. They told me 'only outside Thailand' when asked. Idiots! I'm seriously thinking of changing banks as it's also not compatible with Samsung Pay that appears to be the most widely workable contactless payment method in Thailand...

IDK what you are talking about but promptpay is used by almost every local since a long time already. And most shops offer the QR scan promptpay method as well. Also promptpay essentially is wireless payment but with a receiving phone number or QR code, which is safer than western wireless payment methods. Im sure Bangkok Bank offers it as they also have banks abroad. So they are actually ahead of the game, by offering both domestic and abroad solutions!

Samsung pay is like nothing in Thailand lol. TrueMove pay comes after promptpay. -- It is you here not understanding things in reality..

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I have seen NFC machines that are either branded Bangkok bank or Kasikorn bank that do not except my Google Pay or Credit card wireless payment options. I have noticed the if the machine is branded Verifone it always works. That is what I am talking about. I have used NFC for nearly 5 years already so it is not user error.

• 3 months later...

Folks, my Bangkok bank union pay debit card has started working in contactless mode in Thailand!

I can now perform contactless transactions in BigC and Shell fuel stations for starters. Hopefully it will work in 7-11 now that they have removed the minimum spend limit. Thailand is finally moving into the 21st century..

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, wasabi said:

NFC is the name of the most common technology, however there is also Samsung MST that can be used for contactless payments pretty much on any machine that swipes payments cards (yes, even those without the wireless symbol, as it imitiates the magnetic pulse of the card swipe).

Many Samsung phones have both MST and NFC capabilities. Also samsung Gear S3 watch does.

Unfortunately, Samsung has decided to remove MST capability from all phones since the recently launched Galaxy S21 onwards.

Edited by dr_lucas