Thai government 40% tourist discount

Keith5588

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

We just had 4 nights in Ao Nang, 3 nights at the Bluesotel @ 670 baht a night and one night at the Bluesotel SMART @ 860 baht/night, all with buffet breakfast included. If you think that is being ripped off then you must have a sad existence.

On top of that we had 40% off all lunches and dinners, including the beer. At Tanya's Cafe beer Chang was normally 60 baht a bottle, which became 35 baht with the discount, but feel free to think that is a rip off.

On Wednesday night after dinner we had a walk over the road and sat down for a bottle of wine in the Dusit bistro. What was a rip off was the Dusit price of 950 baht but I could live with what we paid after the discount, it was a very nice Chile red.

Then there is the flight subsidy to consider, but you carry on shaking your head as you con yourself into thinking you have it all sussed.

If it works, it works.  When it doesn't, it's a scam.  Now I've seen both sides.
You've now documented the positive side.  Thanks for the share. :wink:

We should probably start a thread pointing folks to the legitimate deals.

6 hours ago, connda said:

The Mrs and I always worked as a team on trip planning.  I'll look up hotels, and the specifics including a base price, location, amenities, then let the Thai wife call and hammer out a price package.  We almost always are able to find a deal better than what is listed online.  And if they don't want to deal we just go on to the next hotel. 
This is now a solid buyers market.  Deal with hotels that will give you a good deal; forget about those who won't. 
Those that have signed up for the government plan?  Instead of being call a 40% Scheme it more aptly should be call a 40% Scam.  The government and hotels working together to rip-off Thai consumers?  Can't do it to foreigners so turn that con-game right back onto your own people.  That's sad.  But oh so Thai, isn't it?  <head-shake>

Information is worthless if it not quantified. Can you please give at least one instance where the government 40% off scheme is a rip-off for Thai consumers? Where you can get a cheaper price by just contacting the hotel direct. Same applies to restaurants.

I have only telephoned one Hotel and they did not reduce their prices anywhere near 40%, the lady said a special deal for Thai citizens which I think was in the region of a 5% reduction. I only telephoned because booking it at a much lower price through the government scheme didn't work, it was a technical problem, all the other 5 hotels I have now booked worked fine.

I think the government interfering with normal market forces will if anything force all hotels prices lower even those not registered to participate in the scheme. How do you conclude that is a rip-off to the consumer?  Please explain as I think I  missing something.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, connda said:

If it works, it works.  When it doesn't, it's a scam.  Now I've seen both sides.
You've now documented the positive side.  Thanks for the share. :wink:

We should probably start a thread pointing folks to the legitimate deals.

That is not true, when something doesn't work, it doesn't mean it is a scam.

The main obstacle to the government scheme is the complexity and many Thais don't bother because they don't understand. My wife struggled at first but persevered and she is fairly well educated. Must be very difficult for the average person as the technology is unfamiliar. When we in China last year I was surprised at how "cashless" it was, everyone was paying by QR, even old ladies in the market. If Thailand had been a bit further down the road the scheme would have been a lot more successful.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, petermik said:

I booked the BlueSotel Smart through Agoda early in July 3 nights B&B 3150 August 21st/24th...which was cheap...when the GF registered with the scheme the price quoted for exactly the same was 2480 baht...Agoda was cancelled and we also took advantage of the 600 baht/day food vouchers.

We will be back in Ao Nang for 3 nights B&B at the 4* Seaseeker 22nd to 25th next month...cost 2515 baht and as it,s midweek 900 baht/night food voucher.....waiting till 1st September when we can get another 5 nights and looking at either Phu Pi Maan or Panan Resort...many thanks to the Thai government :clap2:

We should have stayed at the Bluesotel, the move to the Smart was a bit of a waste of time. We went out just after check-in and didn't come back till late and left first thing next morning. With less guests the breakfast was not as good as the one we had come from.

Is that the Seaseeker just after you turn into Soi 15?, looked quite nice.

Looking to the hills in Phitsanulok next time.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

If Thailand had been a bit further down the road the scheme would have been a lot more successful.

Thank goodness they,re not otherwise they wouldn,t be extending it for another 5 nights.....hopefully when they see the lack of bookings over the peak Christmas/New Year periods they will extend again :thumbsup:

• Like 1

We should have stayed at the Bluesotel, the move to the Smart was a bit of a waste of time. We went out just after check-in and didn't come back till late and left first thing next morning. With less guests the breakfast was not as good as the one we had come from.

Is that the Seaseeker just after you turn into Soi 15?, looked quite nice.

Looking to the hills in Phitsanulok next time.

Yes first Hotel on the left after you turn into soi 15...just over a year old and we stayed twice last year,same owner as the Panan Krabi Resort...the BlueSotel Smart is much better IMHO than it,s sister BlueSotel (stayed in July 3 nights as reported on here before) but we found on our last morning (monday last week) that because many of the guests had departed on the day before they closed the buffet restaurant,at the Smart that is (Omelete I believe it was called) and used the smaller Twice a Day place beside reception with less of a choice....the place was dead as we departed around 11am....as I,ve mentioned in this topic before we have a house in Huay Yot Trang and we go down from our base here in Pattaya each month for 10 days or so...visiting Ao Nang often taking advantage of cheap 4* hotels deals....non as good before as they are now :clap2:

Edited by petermik
  • Like 1

We booked two hotels and found the government program to definitely be a money saver although complicated for my understanding but I just let the wife handle it.

one hotel for two nights was 9180 on Agoda without the program, 7650 on Agoda with the program, and 6000 booking direct with the hotel and government program.  The other hotel could not be booked direct but the price on Agoda was 1770 without the program and 1120 with.  Then adding in 900/night for three days equals 2700 for food and tours.  It certainly works for me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, petermik said:

Yes first Hotel on the left after you turn into soi 15...just over a year old and we stayed twice last year,same owner as the Panan Krabi Resort...the BlueSotel Smart is much better IMHO than it,s sister BlueSotel (stayed in July 3 nights as reported on here before) but we found on our last morning (monday last week) that because many of the guests had departed on the day before they closed the buffet restaurant,at the Smart that is (Omelete I believe it was called) and used the smaller Twice a Day place beside reception with less of a choice....the place was dead as we departed around 11am....as I,ve mentioned in this topic before we have a house in Huay Yot Trang and we go down from our base here in Pattaya each month for 10 days or so...visiting Ao Nang often taking advantage of cheap 4* hotels deals....non as good before as they are now :clap2:

That is where we had breakfast, in that coffee shop by reception. We were first in the door at 7 with limited time to get to the airport and they were still putting things out.

The hotel will be very good when it's finished, we were on the 4th floor and I went up the stairs to the roof and the rooms on the 5th floor were still being worked on. The roof is quite something, it was just for us it wasn't worth the move.

17 hours ago, GregTN said:

We booked two hotels and found the government program to definitely be a money saver although complicated for my understanding but I just let the wife handle it.

one hotel for two nights was 9180 on Agoda without the program, 7650 on Agoda with the program, and 6000 booking direct with the hotel and government program.  The other hotel could not be booked direct but the price on Agoda was 1770 without the program and 1120 with.  Then adding in 900/night for three days equals 2700 for food and tours.  It certainly works for me.

Nice to see people getting some benefit as that will also benefit those employed by the businesses participating in the scheme.

Bear in mind that the vouchers only contribute 40% to what you buy, a great incentive but you have to spend some of your own money to benefit.

You can use the government website to find businesses where you are. We found a couple of terrific restaurants out in the sticks that were cheap before the discount. It's a great way to try something new, no great loss.

Bear in mind that the vouchers only contribute 40% to what you buy, a great incentive but you have to spend some of your own money to benefit.

Read my earlier report...we have two long standing restaurants that we use only one of them participating in the scheme...we paid nothing for our meals (drinks inc.) and the balance from the 600 baht was transfered back into my TGF account....don,t know how the restaurant owner worked it and don,t really care LOL...:clap2:

21 minutes ago, petermik said:

Read my earlier report...we have two long standing restaurants that we use only one of them participating in the scheme...we paid nothing for our meals (drinks inc.) and the balance from the 600 baht was transfered back into my TGF account....don,t know how the restaurant owner worked it and don,t really care LOL...:clap2:

That cannot be taken as the norm.

A balance must be maintained in the G wallet and the transaction will automatically take 60% from the G wallet and 40% from the voucher account.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how the owner managed to manipulate the transaction and I doubt it would happen without a personal relationship.

It must also be borne in mind that the banks concerned must be fully operational. One day my wife had a problem topping up her G wallet so we went to the bank only to find the payment system was down, about another 45 minutes for it to come back up. She had been a bit cautious about how much went into the G wallet but that evaporated as she became more confident in the system.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, sandyf said:

I have just arrived in Ao Nang for a few days with my wife under the scheme. It is certainly worth looking at but unfortunately you have already dipped out on the flight discount, you had to register for the scheme first.

I've googled if but can't see the website in English about how to register. My wife is interested in booking a flight and hotel to Phuket. Can anyone help please, is it the amazing Thailand website or is there an app?

41 minutes ago, stament said:

I've googled if but can't see the website in English about how to register. My wife is interested in booking a flight and hotel to Phuket. Can anyone help please, is it the amazing Thailand website or is there an app?

Yes it is an APP like you I dont know the name my wife did it all, we just had 3 days over in Nakorn Si didn't book a flight as we drove from Phuket, Be careful where you book in Phuket it's pretty dead you will virtually have the beaches to yourselves and check the hotel IS open I've seen people book hotels online only to find out they are closed.

Rawai is fairly busy in the evenings as lots of expats live in this area and we have the seafood market 

Phuket Town almost like business as usual I can recommend a few place to go and stay

1 hour ago, stament said:

I think this is the web site https://search-merchant.xn--12c1bik6bbd8ab6hd1b5jc6jta.com/ 

From what Im reading dont take the prices as gospel go to Agoda.com and check the prices there 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:08 AM, sandyf said:

That cannot be taken as the norm.

A balance must be maintained in the G wallet and the transaction will automatically take 60% from the G wallet and 40% from the voucher account.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how the owner managed to manipulate the transaction and I doubt it would happen without a personal relationship.

No personal relationship...I have reported honestly and accurately as to what happened...how why or what I do not know and neither care...back again in a couple of weeks for 3 days at the Seaseeker then Pakasi Resort late october for 4 nights,paid 3,400 inc. bfast...cheapest price through Agoda 5,520.

It would not surprise me if the scheme get,s extended again...here,s hoping anyhow :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:41 AM, stament said:

Great, many thanks. What about flights as I couldn't see that on there.

You can claim the flight discount after you have checked out. You have to stay first night in a province served by the airport you land and vice versa.

What I posted previously about the discount wasn't quite right. My wife had interpreted it as 40% of the first 1000 baht of the ticket price but it turns out it is 40% up to 1000 baht.

They only pay out,refund to the wallet, twice a month on 15th and 30th. We came back end of Aug and claimed too late for the 30th, got paid on 15th this week, approved in the morning and paid in the afternoon.

The 1000 baht was under the original scheme, I believe that went up to 2000 baht on 1st Sept.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:55 PM, tlandtday said:

I believe this ends on October 31?

Technically correct but in reality it is the 30th for last check in. Vouchers issued on 30th would be valid till midnight on 31st.

We are going to a function in Chantaburi on 31st Oct and will stay the night, but cannot be booked under the scheme.

With the changes that have already been made I do not see any extension coming forth.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, ChipButty said:

I think this is the web site https://search-merchant.xn--12c1bik6bbd8ab6hd1b5jc6jta.com/ 

From what Im reading dont take the prices as gospel go to Agoda.com and check the prices there 

We have just booked with a hotel in Petchabun. Government website indicated booking by Agoda or the hotel and as dedicated Agoda user my wife went there first, but they were only offering one room type without breakfast under the scheme.

My wife then checked with the hotel website and we got the same room with breakfast for less than the Agoda price.

Nothing is ever clear cut.

• 5 months later...

This scheme, well I believe it is this scheme. is supposed to finish at the end of this month.

My wife has used all her 40% discounts ... and we did get really good deals in Hau hin and Kanchanaburi. He friend still has four to use.

We will be down Khao lak from next weekend and into April, with her friend, and it would suite us to save two nights for April.

'Hearsay' says it will be extended but does anyone know otherwise or and if so ... 'got a link please'.

tks