Thailand Seeks Safe Way of Reopening Borders to Boost Economy

webfact

1 hour ago, James HKT said:

If the government really wanted to they could track any 2G plus phone anyway.

Hmm.. thats why Thailand keep 2G net work on! They think tourist have still 2G phones!

images.jpeg.4209711007354e4818781bd23362fc06.jpeg

They can also give phone whit them , just look that have enough long wire ! Good tracking system!

1 hour ago, miamiman123 said:

How the hell are foreign teachers getting in the country?????

how? 

They have think all! They use new submarine to pick up guys up! In the way you haddle quarantine period also! Reason they going to oder few more that all teatchers fit in!

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, maybe I'm missing the point here, but what is the difference between someone coming from a high infection country and isolating and someone coming from a limited infections country and doing the same ? 

Either way , no tourist in their right mind is going to spend 14 days in thai quarantine , take 2 weeks on a beach and then isolate for 14 days in return.

These officials truly must be the most idiotic and unrealistic people of the face of the entire planet

Yep! Plus the cost of the $100.000US insurance (which rules out a lot the older tourist)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

the safest way will be to make all incoming  tourists is to wear condoms... other than that i can't see any other way than thailand can either pick and choose it's tourists or just wait like the rest of the world for things to become safer...

And to wear it over the head incase they cough or sneeze!????????.

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

At your cost obviously plus 100,000bt for a special rubber band I suppose ???? 

And Not forgetting the extra week in a hotel of your own choice to show generosity to the ailing Phuket economy. 

They should be paying us to come back. 

Plus the testing. 

Plus insurance. 

Oh, and add the airfare. 

A flight from Melbourne to Bangkok this weekend is $1200 one way. 

My cancelled flight from March was $475 one way.

Still hard to accept that it's all about safety. 

When returning Thai people are not tested before boarding. 

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

Alternatively try this..

Allow returning retired people, and normally resident, to self isolate.

Have a local medical person check you daily. 

Obviously pay for it.

Invoke a mandatory insurance on returning people.

Including Thai people. 

Put it in the ticket price. 

Nobody is forking out 100 to 150k costs to get back to Thailand. 

That would keep the family going for 6 months. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone: they have to do something, surely. They can't just shut the borders with no options to see my family. come back to my condo, see my family, get laid. At least give us an option for christ sake you dumb, short sighted government!!

Government: ok ok. Look, we'll do this in limited numbers and with a bunch of requirements ok? If you really need to see your family, come back home or get laid this is what's required for now

Everyone: What?! What do you mean requirements??!! You cant be serious?! I don't like your option you dumb, short sighted government.......

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rct99q said:

I think some people on here dont realize the pent up demand for travel. I have no doubt that as soon as it is formerly announced people will start booking. However the one kicker will be the GPS tracker. Even from more liberal leaning countries the idea of bei g tracked would not be welcomed.

We are being tracked since ..........  you know ow you turn off GPS thinking you are cut off when you turn off your phone GPS?  and marvell how google maps and others still

know where you are on the maps?  there you go...... just the tip....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Precisely.

Until the two week qurantine is removed from the equation there is no way I am going back and that's coming from someone who's wife and family are in Thailand.

What sane person books a 2 week vacation in Thailand when they have to stay in a hotel under quarantine.

Why the hell don't these fools get it ?

Personally I don't think they have any intention of relaxing the borders, it's just hyperbole for the masses.

Maybe the quarentine Will be free and we can live for 14 days in the new submarines .. Oh yeah they have got it sussed “;0) 

Just now, trevoromgh said:

No-one in their right mind would travel long distance to Thailand with the current Covid restrictions and also the lack of airflights.  If Thailand is going to stand any chance of getting some tourists back from western countries they would need to adopt a similar approach to that taken by Cyprus for specific countries, read here  TimeOut report

There they are promising to pay the holiday expenses of any travellers who test positive for coronavirus whilst visiting. Accommodation, medicine and food for the entire affected group would all be included, with travellers only needing to pay for their journey back home. A dedicated hospital and hotel would also be available for stricken tourists.

I realize such a radical approach is unlikely to be adopted here anytime soon but in desperate times then desperate measures should be considered.

What about those that have families, businesses, homes and/or the means or the want to spends months in country at a time. There would be plenty in that situation one would think 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Everyone: they have to do something, surely. They can't just shut the borders with no options to see my family. come back to my condo, see my family, get laid. At least give us an option for christ sake you dumb, short sighted government!!

Government: ok ok. Look, we'll do this in limited numbers and with a bunch of requirements ok? If you really need to see your family, come back home or get laid this is what's required for now

Everyone: What?! What do you mean requirements??!! You cant be serious?! I don't like your option you dumb, short sighted government.......

There are repatriation flights for Non-Thai nationals with families.  Check thaiembassy.org website if you want to return to your family here.  Insurance, testing, and quarantine is necessary

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, farangroby said:

This is the fantastic gourmet food dispensed in a government quarantine facility at the price of 33,000 thb: note the fine Limoge porcelain, the perfect setting of the food inside the plate and the care for the decorations but even the crystal glasses

cibo thai.jpg

Too bad you didn't take a picture before you ate half.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Measures to be taken by the Thailand tourist industry to weather through the Covid times.

1. Leave all those already in the country alone. Visa amnesty for one year to everybody. People should be asked to stay, not to be threatened by the Immigration bureaucrats who keep acting as nothing has changed in the country.
  2. Let in all those who wish to stay in Thailand for 6 months and longer and also ready to go through 2 weeks quarantine. This includes  retirees , married to Thais, digital nomads, long time tourists of any kind etc.

3. Advertise Thailand to the world  as a Covid safe place. Should be interesting to those who live in Covid unsafe places, especially to the elder people.

4. Stop fantasizing about high season and reviving of the old short time tourism scheme any time soon. One month stay including 14 days quarantine is definitely a bad idea. 

5. Fire 8/10 of the TAT and similar organizations’ staff. Same with the Immigration offices.

The measures will not substitute the millions in numbers from the past but they will allow many people in the tourist industry to weather through the Covid times. Hotels, however, will still take a big hit.

I think you have failed to grasp the fact Thailand has no interest in encouraging anyone to Thailand at the present time.

That same level of interest extends to those who are here under the current amnesty.

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Precisely.

Until the two week qurantine is removed from the equation there is no way I am going back and that's coming from someone who's wife and family are in Thailand.

What sane person books a 2 week vacation in Thailand when they have to stay in a hotel under quarantine.

Why the hell don't these fools get it ?

Personally I don't think they have any intention of relaxing the borders, it's just hyperbole for the masses.

The powers-that-be have this insane mindset/mentality that people will do everything under the sun and are dying to come to Amazing Thailand, the most wonderous place on the planet (in their imbecilic minds). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Well, it's good they realized the virus is here to stay for long time, maybe forever. As soon as other governments in the world realize the same, maybe life can go back to how it was before

Exactly.  I'm surprised that Governments seem unable to grasp this simple concept.

The phrase 'new normal' should have been a clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1