Thailand Seeks Safe Way of Reopening Borders to Boost Economy

webfact

"Thailand Seeks Safe Way of Reopening Borders to Boost Economy"

They've done the wisest move to seek help from the worlds top most experts available here at TVF. With 10 pages and over 136 posts on this thread, success is guaranteed!

Well done Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand may allow some foreign visitors into the country as early as October. Tourists from countries with limited infections will probably be required to wear wristbands with GPS tracking systems and will need to be quarantined in a hotel for the first 14 days, Saksiam said. The plan is likely to be tested in Phuket province, he said.

----------------------------------------------------------

From airport of arrival to NOWHERE, but to MAXIMUM SECURITY detention center for 2 weeks?

All at OWN COSTS?

After release,  placed under constant surveillance with GPS device?

As well as restraining order not to cross  provincial border?

From Here To Nowhere, to Thai inbound tourism  industries & their struggling workers.

As long as those pea-brains are in charge.

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

Yes it's a crazy idea for the average working traveller. But it could be ok for those with family in Thailand or long stay expats returning there. I, personally have no problem being in quarantine for 2 weeks, but the cost is excessive. The other problem is getting travel insurance that has cover for covid-19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

No-one in their right mind would travel long distance to Thailand with the current Covid restrictions and also the lack of airflights.  If Thailand is going to stand any chance of getting some tourists back from western countries they would need to adopt a similar approach to that taken by Cyprus for specific countries, read here  TimeOut report

There they are promising to pay the holiday expenses of any travellers who test positive for coronavirus whilst visiting. Accommodation, medicine and food for the entire affected group would all be included, with travellers only needing to pay for their journey back home. A dedicated hospital and hotel would also be available for stricken tourists.

I realize such a radical approach is unlikely to be adopted here anytime soon but in desperate times then desperate measures should be considered.

My sentiments exactly! Why on earth would someone want to holiday in a country where you’re going to be treated like a leper and in your first week you can’t even leave your room when there are other countries opening up that actually want you there and are willing to go out of their way to assure and help you?

Personally if things don’t change before Xmas, I’ll be spending my 6 week winter break in Barbados. It’s a little bit more expensive there but when you take into account the cost of ASQ etc, it’ll work out just the same. And there, it’s actually drummed into the people at a young age that if they look after the tourists, they’ll all make a reasonable living.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dan O said:

I think there are quite a few "tourists" that would come given the chance to if borders were opened to allow it. Many tourist come for longer than 2 weeks. I certainly would. The cost of the ASQ hotels are not all in the same 100k range and if more tourist could come then more hotels would participate in the program to generate income. 

I would hazard a guess that you are in the 0.001%. ????

7 minutes ago, thasoss said:

These sorts of announcements are just to pacify the Thai tourist industry.Either that or they really do believe that the travel world loves Thailand so much that they'll do anything to get back. 

Actually, that  doesn't even serve  lip service.  

Lip means to say something to please others.

But what they stated is sheer non-sense that can impress nobody.

As long as the readers & listeners have got basic human intelligence.

I truly hope that tourists returns soon.

However once an announcement has been made that the country is open for business again and the possibilities of tourists not returning in droves,  then TAT will be able to blame those darned missing foreigners for the countries continued woes.

“it isn’t our fault honest” said a spokesman

4 hours ago, James HKT said:

No it’s completely different. The requirement that you are quoting are for foreign returnees on long term visas, such as Non O/A on the basis of marriage or work.

Buy it would have to be something like that. Whats the point of a 14 day quarantine if someone on day 13 has contact with someone on day 2?

39 minutes ago, transam said:

As I said, I read a lot here.....????

PS. Think you need to re-write that opening sentence.......????

????  ????

Edited by david555

Do you really want tourists to return or are you just mucking about with words and crazy ideas from the revolving talking heads;

1. Every tourist arriving has to have a clean bill of health on all fronts (non only this coronovirus thing);

2. Provide what tourists expect: clean accommodation, good food, entertainment and things to do and see. Don't skimp and don't cheat. 

3. Drop this quarantine stuff and drop this astronomic insurance on covid, people also die of heart disease, dengue, muggings, road deaths, more road deaths and still more road deaths;

4. Make sure tourists enjoy themselves and they will return. Stop with this attitude of fleece them now in case they never return. 

TAKE THE LEAD.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wondered why there was a ban on alcohol while in quarantine.

Does drinking alcohol make you more likely to catch COVID while locked in a room alone?

Bottle shops are considered an essential service in the current Melbourne lockdown in Oz and are allowed to remain open as normal.

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Precisely.

Until the two week qurantine is removed from the equation there is no way I am going back and that's coming from someone who's wife and family are in Thailand.

What sane person books a 2 week vacation in Thailand when they have to stay in a hotel under quarantine.

Why the hell don't these fools get it ?

Personally I don't think they have any intention of relaxing the borders, it's just hyperbole for the masses.

The stupidity of the high-ranking officials are not only about their proposed  mandatory 2 weeks isolation for the new-comers.

As well as the mandatory submission of the Coronavirus clearance for any Thai-bound flight  check-ins.

And over $100000  travel insurance coverage with cashless treatment deal against C/virus symptoms.

Not every 1st world countries have got  such schemes to meet Thai Govt's demand.

These codes were implemented as early as  March 22  this year.

And these 2 things alone serve national blockade policies in practice.

Well before the official announcement of incoming commercial flights ban.

Edited by black tabby
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

Don't these people have any brain cells?

Who in there right mind is going to come and spend 2 weeks in quarantine and then possibly go back to their home countries and spend another 2 weeks in quarantine

There are quite a few people that spend the winter in thailand. They might consider the 2 week quarantine. Its not optimal,  but we are in the middle of a pandemic and concessions do need to be made. Thailand is looking at the world right now and seeing several countries entering a second round of lockdowns because of loosening things too early. The cost of a second lockdown is much higher than the potential tourist income.

It appears that no one will be satisfied until things are exactly the way they were before, but that is not the current reality we are living in right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sencelebi said:

First of all you don't call officials idiot when they allow you to be a guest in their country. Think about your own country, Immigrants are calling your people idiot and they are disrespectful to your homeland, would  you allow them or would you just keep your mouth shut? If you do then you don't have respect and love for your own country. So don't do it for other people's country. Second, what do you except, open the borders and let anyone in to the country so virus can be spread and Thailand closes the borders for years? People are still dying all over the world because of the pandemic, and you are just being a selfish. Think about your family  and your close friends, how you will feel when your family members are dead because of the Covid? This is the their way to protect their country and their people, you can only respect their choices,not criticize them, You have to turn around and look at your own homeland first to see what your government don't do for your people, Your own country have to be perfect in order to criticize someone else's country. And one last thing, If you don't like it here you can always go back to your homeland and Thai people will be very happy believe me, so you can be too !

Thai people will be happy? Thank you, I'll make sure I don't return then. 

1,014 cases in Britain, yet Portugal has just welcomed them back with open arms.

Social distancing? Non Existent!!!

Ok, the Brits are supposed to self quarantine for 14 day!? It doesn't happen now so they won't bother on their return.

USA still has nothing under control.

New Zealand and The Kingdom have the correct idea.

The Kingdom will survive without the tourists.

Keep up the good work.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Need to wake up and open the country

and stop playing the UN globalists game of social control

The virus is less dangerous than a common flu to the citizens, the game is over , protect elderly and infirm and let people live

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No real tourist is going to like being quarantined for 14 days just to shop in Thailand. Most real tourists have only a limited holiday period.

It's only for those fake tourists/visa runners who are jobless that will want to stay long-term in Thailand that don't mind to be quarantined.

Edited by warcy

Keep the Chinese away!??

It won't happen but could help.

Western tourists will not return surrounded by Chinese.

Backpackers will even go elsewhere.

The Kingdom is getting a bad name because of it's love of the Chinese.

The Germans (a popular destination of some Thais!!) and the British would gladly invest in The Kingdom with rail, road and general infrastructure.

I think people involved in the higher echelons should consider the Western, Aussie etc for the future.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, maybe I'm missing the point here, but what is the difference between someone coming from a high infection country and isolating and someone coming from a limited infections country and doing the same ? 

Either way , no tourist in their right mind is going to spend 14 days in thai quarantine , take 2 weeks on a beach and then isolate for 14 days in return.

These officials truly must be the most idiotic and unrealistic people of the face of the entire planet

Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad.

Euripides

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, maybe I'm missing the point here, but what is the difference between someone coming from a high infection country and isolating and someone coming from a limited infections country and doing the same ? 

Either way , no tourist in their right mind is going to spend 14 days in thai quarantine , take 2 weeks on a beach and then isolate for 14 days in return.

These officials truly must be the most idiotic and unrealistic people of the face of the entire planet

Well said !