Thailand Seeks Safe Way of Reopening Borders to Boost Economy

webfact

6 hours ago, tonray said:

hmmm...how will that work for a 1 week holiday ?

At the moment it’s minimum 30 day travelers only 

that will shorten the list of contestants will not be many left to take up the offer when all the demands are published 

They've been floating this one for at least two months.  Try again. 

The virus will always be around, the all the viruses we've exposed

to are still here, just not as virulent as their appearance. Same with

covid - we're not quarantining against measles, mumps etc.  In time

maybe current Thailand government will understand that. 

Just now, Madeline Thompson said:

They've been floating this one for at least two months.  Try again. 

The virus will always be around, the all the viruses we've exposed

to are still here, just not as virulent as their appearance. Same with

covid - we're not quarantining against measles, mumps etc.  In time

maybe current Thailand government will understand that. 

ps. I agree Thailand needs be intelligent about bringing tourists back,

they won't come though if they have to quarantine for two weeks.  Those

has have been in quarantine swear they will never do it again: why spend

all that money to be 'in prison'.  That's if it's a real quarantine. If its not -

then why bother.

ASQ Package Features

COVID-19 test 2 times

24/7 emergency ambulance service transfer from the hotel to the hospital

24/7 nursing service (extra charges may be applied if special investigation is needed)

24/7 doctor consulting (via Samitivej Hospital)

Full amenities (air conditioner, TV with True Visions and cable, kettle, hair dryer, safety box and Bangkok City view)

WiFi Internet access with in-room working desk

Bathroom with bathtub and shower

Complimentary drinking water and coffee & tea during stay

Room cleaning service every 2 days

3 meals daily menu by hotel chef

15% discount on room service for additional food and beverages

20% discount on laundry service

Room amenities include sanitizing hand gel for 16 days

Twice daily temperature check

Complimentary airport pick up to the hotel on arrival day (Suvarnabhumi ir Don Muang Airport)

After negative result of day 7 test, the guest can enjoy relaxing zone outside the room

After negative result of day 13 test, the guest can enjoy to use the restaurant and Spa facilities (charges are applicable)

As you see probably the guest can not leave the room for at least for a week. And can not use the Spa or the restaurant for 13 days. 

It may have been mentioned somewhere in the 10 pages. The word on the boards dedicated to getting back to Thailand is that this is a possible route to get back to Thailand for others currently not allowed to come back. For example those on a retirement extension of stay.

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

It may have been mentioned somewhere in the 10 pages. The word on the boards dedicated to getting back to Thailand is that this is a possible route to get back to Thailand for others currently not allowed to come back. For example those on a retirement extension of stay.

Absolutely not.

Wishful thinking.

7 hours ago, James HKT said:

Locked up in a room ? 

No. 

Staying in a 5 star beach front hotel, free to use all facilities in the hotel and access to a section of beach/sea. 

Sounds terrible!

Not every one has the funds to pay for a 5 star hotel plus if the current cost of repatriation flights is anything to go by there won’t be many takers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, maybe I'm missing the point here, but what is the difference between someone coming from a high infection country and isolating and someone coming from a limited infections country and doing the same ? 

Either way , no tourist in their right mind is going to spend 14 days in thai quarantine , take 2 weeks on a beach and then isolate for 14 days in return.

These officials truly must be the most idiotic and unrealistic people of the face of the entire planet

And I think the very idea of having to wear tracking bracelets like prisoners released on parole would put off anyone not put off by the other requirements. No thanks.

They will start this with great fanfare, perhaps making only available to elite card holders at first, and maybe have Prayut and Prawit wait at Phuket airport to greet the first arrivals but no one will show up.

• Like 1

They need at least 30-40% of the former tourism numbers to break-even/survive. Everything including quarantine won’t  attract more them 5%. And most of those won’t be genuine tourists, rather retired people. 

They still didn’t get it. It’s the tourists who chose the destination, not the other way around! Thailand is not that unique so that tourists accept massive hurdles to travel there. 

It’s anyway too late now, as the Thai mindset in regard to the virus is just weird! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

-- Tourists may need to wear GPS wristbands, face quarantine

no and no. try again.

Chinese will. Like I’ve posted before, they don’t care about those of us with a western mindset who buck against control. They want Chinese here. Chinese are used to being controlled.

5 hours ago, Sean60 said:

no one will come.

take away the quarantine. make sure all incoming tourists have insurance. the Thai government dose not have to carry any cost.

control their movement and increase you hospital capacity.

You have to learn to live with covid-19 !!!

That should be your strategy. In any other case you have to wait for a effective vaccine.

I hope some one from TAT and the government read your sensible/practical post, it’s the way forward.

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

What do they have to gain from this? I guess most "stranded tourists" don't stay at hotels but in long term rentals, as there is no end in sight they probably cut expenses to the minimum possible so not much travel, no tours, no use of other tourist services so no real contribution to the Thai economy

I don't know about others, but I continue to live life as normal while here. Pay rent, travel around the country, eat in restaurants buy things for friends and family all while being relentlessly taken advantage of by Thai women!

8 hours ago, dinga said:

Take a deep breathe - of course this is supremely stupid and non-viable. 

Only to the extremely stupid, others see the viability.

If nothing else this forum is consistent. At Swampy this morning the Thai check in desk was mobbed, but it's not long since the stupid believed the Thais couldn't afford to travel.

4 hours ago, Swimfan said:

I think professor Barody should just stick to treating bowel issues as is his specialty. You might want to take some time to read reviews of his clinic.

Well he had the last laugh that time, as all of his brethren and consensus doctors had a completely wrong understanding of ulcers. My uncle might still be alive and not have died of a septic ulcer if Borody's viewpoint had been taken into account earlier.

Edited by vermin on arrival

KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.  Apparently the TAT has yet to learn that the #1 tourist marketing criteria for ANY tourist industry in ANY country is: Make it attractive to tourists and they will come. The 14 day quarantine and GPS wrist band proposal is just the opposite and is in fact a deterrent.

And they will attempt to test this in Phuket only?? Wow...do they really think this will result in a serious cash injection for the economy? Color me shocked. 

One other issue tourists would have to consider is what would happen if they tested positive during their stay? Like everyone else they would be immediately quarantined in a hospital for 14 days minimum. Of course their mandatory covid health insurance would pay for that, but it might mean missing their flights home and a 30 day stay becoming extended.

If the tourists are asymptomatic, that really is not going to be a pleasant experience.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rct99q said:

I think some people on here dont realize the pent up demand for travel. I have no doubt that as soon as it is formerly announced people will start booking. However the one kicker will be the GPS tracker. Even from more liberal leaning countries the idea of bei g tracked would not be welcomed.

Just tie the Tracker to the back of a long distance Bus, or on a Bangkok Taxi.

No, unacceptable, to much expensive.

Don't blackmail us with that again and again... it is boring and you loose face.

And yes, you can just reopen the border, the COVID has loosed power a lot and it is a flu, nothing more now.

I think you should isolate your own people who panic to much for a flu in a asylum now and offer them a good psychiatrist after to make them become crazy by your intensive xenophobic propaganda.

And if you want to do something to save people really, make a real drive test and enforce the law on the road, stop big enterprise to put to much sugar everywhere, force them to indicate what is inside products they sale, etc... there is a lot of work to do who will save a lot of people instead of be in panic in front of a flu or become xenophobic.

If you can not understand this, maybe you should go back to school to learn something (choose a school where you will learn something useful also).

30 minutes ago, ExpatOne said:

Chinese will. Like I’ve posted before, they don’t care about those of us with a western mindset who buck against control. They want Chinese here. Chinese are used to being controlled.

They also used to control other... i think, as many time, they do not really understand what they are doing.