Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions

webfact

3 hours ago, Paiman said:

May be because 98% of Thais think their country is better than other countries - logic to follow, 98% of all international Tourists have only 1 dream - holidays in the promised land  -  Thailand.

Sometimes I think my jar of peanut butter in the cupboard has an higher IQ than these official Lurers.

just sometimes ? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Berti said:

Let's do the math.

4 months is about 17.4 weeks.

2 weeks quarantine that's 8.7 quarantine periods from Dec to March.

So they must have 230,000 people in quarantine at the same time and I estimate about 2,000 hotels with quarantine facilities. Realistic?

No idea how realistic 2 million long stay tourists are. Seems like a fantasy number.

See your not using the TAT approved calculator are you they do loan it out to other government departments on a regular basis but not to the public ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I would do this, from 1st October on until end of March 2021. We have work shortage up to 100% but salary payment of 90% until March 2021.

But not in Phuket and not in Samui.

16 days quarantine in a Bangkok hotel then I want to go where I want, then okay. The tracking app would be no problem to me.

Otherwise I burn my cash somewhere else.

Edited by localhost
  • Like 1

Just now, 2long said:

As I have mentioned before, how can they manage this if Tourist A arrived on day #1 and mixes with Tourist B on day #13, but it's Tourist B's first or second day in the resort?! This surely negates the concept of the quarantine. Unless they say ok only certain people can use the pools and dining areas at certain times and on certain days.

Absolute madness!

Luckily they won't have this problem because they won't have the tourists.

They do it in the quarantine hotels. First Week 24 hours in room. After first negativ test, can use the gym and pool for 1,5 hours per day. They have a time and booking plan, when you can get out to the gym or pool.

5 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

My boy his wife and their two children just went to Rhodes in Greece. Top resort with water park. Week holiday. Why on earth would they come here. Its not a family destination having to do a 14 quarantine. Can you imagine the kDa and them all stuck in a room together. Be hard enough just with your partner. Only people who may come will be people with families here and usually stay two months or more. 

Half the price 

• Like 2

Would this involve the Army as logistics involved for such an operation would be enormous and very expensive. Not an attractive operation for Tourists. It is also worth a mention that quarantine is a bilateral agreement between countries so would also apply to tourists when they return to their home countries. No mention visas arrangements or would they be waived. Has anyone seen the state of Samui the main tourist part Chaweng  loooks like a nuclear bomb has been dropped on it just a decaying shanty town with roads full of pot holes so maybe better spend the money on restoring the Island for tourists return  in a year or so

• Like 1

This plan will only attract long-term stayers and not real tourists i.e. those retirees or those on education visa.

A real tourist don't have the time to be quarantined for 14 days and then just tour the island. They want to tour Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc.

It's a waste of money buying another ticket just to fly to Bangkok again even if they allow.

Edited by warcy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:
Dusty Springfield sang it best...
Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night of his charms
That won't get you into his arms
So if you're lookin' to find love you can share
All you gotta do is hold him and kiss him and love him
And show him that you care
Show him that you care just for him
Do the things he likes to do
Wear your hair just for him, 'cause
You won't get him
Thinkin' and a-prayin', wishin' and a-hopin'
'Cause wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' his kisses will start
That won't get you into his heart
So if you're thinkin' of how great true love is...

And The Swinging Blue Jeans.

Where is the hotel accommodation on these islands?  How many rooms are available now?  

How long to build the airport on Phi Phi?

Who will trust the Covid testing on the smaller islands?

it is hardly worth the effort of replying to such nonsense, as the minister clearly does not live in the real world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

// This plan will only attract long-term stayers and not real tourists i.e. those retirees or those on education visa. //

True, not a lot of tourists. But many people who live in Thailand but don't have an official Thai spouse will be happy to be able to get back to their normal life instead of living in a month - to - month apartment in wherever they got stuck. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Nobody says they have to stay inside their hotel room, just quarantine on the island.

From a previous story...

"Tourists will have to stay for at least 30 days, with the first 14 days in quarantine in a limited vicinity of their hotel, before they can visit other areas, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

Visitors will have to take two coronavirus tests during quarantine before they are able to travel to the rest of the island, Minister of Tourism and Sports Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, said on Thursday.

Staff will also have to remain in the hotel, he added.

Visitors will have to take an additional test and remain within the province for another week before they can travel to other parts of the country."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Everyone but the Thai ministers know this makes zero sense.

If you're a real tourist, who would spend 2 weeks in quarantine on arrival + 2 weeks quarantine back in their home country for a 1 week holiday in Phuket? Who even has 5 weeks holiday to do it as a lot of people used up their holiday time during lockdown when they ran out of sick leave.

Then you have the long stay like me who spend 6 months per year in Pattaya. Why would I want to stay in Phuket for 3 weeks at my cost. I have no interest going there 

But Phuket has their share of wealthy snowbirds, so it could be a possibility?

Make that home quarantine and they would certainly come....