Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions

webfact

"Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions"

And it was on ThaiVisa only last week that the majority of Thais didn't want the tourists back because of Covid! Obviously, the average Thai on the street's opinion counts for ZILCH, and the Government/TAT's plucking of figures from the air is laughable. 

At least this time the key word in the statement is "hope"! 

P.S. I do realise that this is a forward projection, but I also noticed that there is no year mentioned - maybe we are talking the earlier part of 2022? 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

Hey everyone

I did not get through all the pages but read the first and the last one as all the comments seem to squash that idea. Actually, it is not such a bad idea as so many, who already have ties with the Kingdom, are desperate to come back. Not sure if they are in the millions but I would bet it could match the 100,000 mark. That is if I read correctly the quarantine part.

It is my understanding that, unlike the returnees currently quarantined, they would not be confined to their room being forbidden to step in the corridor without being slapped with a further 14 day penalty. They would be able to move around within 1 km of their hotel. It would kind of staying at a small resort then. Do not ask for a link as I do not remember where I read this information. Under these conditions I would not mind getting out of the country in order to look into some matters back home, which I am not keen to do under the current restrictions, and be back a few months later

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

You'll be lucky to get people in the thousands but more like hundreds if they have to quarantine for 14 days and pay for it .

The 14 day quarantine requirement is an irrelevance. Everybody will ignore it and there will be no enforcement. Nor will there be any follow up tests after the first week. So really the only safeguard is the preflight health certificate and innate fear people might have of flying at covid time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hey everyone

I did not get through all the pages but read the first and the last one as all the comments seem to squash that idea. Actually, it is not such a bad idea as so many, who already have ties with the Kingdom, are desperate to come back. Not sure if they are in the millions but I would bet it could match the 100,000 mark. That is if I read correctly the quarantine part.

It is my understanding that, unlike the returnees currently quarantined, they would not be confined to their room being forbidden to step in the corridor without being slapped with a further 14 day penalty. They would be able to move around within 1 km of their hotel. It would kind of staying at a small resort then. Do not ask for a link as I do not remember where I read this information. Under these conditions I would not mind getting out of the country in order to look into some matters back home, which I am not keen to do under the current restrictions, and be back a few months later

I guess the definition of what is a “tourist” is drawn quite widely.

• Like 1

The Brits have a useful expression for ideas that you push out into the future, only to find your trousers are wet.

It would be handy if the TAT started with how many tourists it would like in 2021.

Then work back, right-to-left, back to the prep that needs to begin now, clearing the obstacles.

What could some obstacles be?

Expecting tourists to arrive directly at their destination from o/s Thailand?

Imagining tourists will be content with a sea view from their hotel window for two weeks? Seems unlikely.

And what happens if there are covid outbreaks at your gov hotel?

That tourists with six free weeks can be found at all, still less willing to spend half that time cooped up dreaming?

Dreaming ... hmmmm

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pikasso said:

But Phuket has their share of wealthy snowbirds, so it could be a possibility?

Make that home quarantine and they would certainly come....

But it isn't home quarantine and there aren't 2 million Phuket snowbirds

• Like 2

No-one in their right mind would go to Thailand with all the restrictions when they have so many other options with far less restrictions! Its not rocket science.

Although some folks do have more than 2 weeks vacation, they are not going to spend it in quarantine, especially when they have to pay for the ridiculous price of the hotels, plus food in the hotel plus all the tests etc, plus Covid 19 insurance which many people can't get.

If Thailand was serious about encouraging tourists they would do what other countries have done. All testing would be free, the hotels would be free or subsidized and the quarantine if any would be 7 days. Self isolation would be better of course.

Having tests at the departing airport would improve things also, as there is now a 15 minute test available.

The Thai government just doesn't get it. you can't have your cake and eat it.

Many restaurants, shops, bars etc have closed already, the Thai government need make a decision before its too late!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I guess the definition of what is a “tourist” is drawn quite widely.

Not defining the tourist, only pointing out some categories ( stranded boyfriend or girlfriend, Elite members but alos some want to be bad boys who think that Thailand is better for their scams than the country where they actually reside

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

How many more of these pointless, repetitive articles are we going to get with all this guessing, nonsense??

Must be 2 or 3 a day, and every one totally pointless.

You enjoy it....

When much younger my dad often told me to wish in one hand and (use your imagination) in the other and see which one fills up first.

When most working people are lucky to get a two week vacation once a year why would anyone think they would want to spend the 14 days in quarantine no matter how luxurious the facility.  Somebody needs to take some educational courses logical thinking.  Major cut back on quarantine, better monetary exchange rates, discounts and bargain prices for foreign tourists.  Maybe then a few would come but I would not go buy a new Mercedes counting on the next few months of income to make the payments. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paiman said:

May be because 98% of Thais think their country is better than other countries - logic to follow, 98% of all international Tourists have only 1 dream - holidays in the promised land  -  Thailand.

Sometimes I think my jar of peanut butter in the cupboard has an higher IQ than these official Lurers.

Please publish the salary of Thai government officials, eg. The prime minister etc.

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Are you sure about that? A 2 week quarantine period can start any day between Dec/March, they overlap. so there are 120 or so in that time frame

If they overlap you need even more capacity than 230,000 !!!

Returning from overseas or out of state? The CDC removes its 14-day quarantine recommendation

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/returning-from-overseas-or-out-of-state-the-cdc-removes-its-14-day-quarantine-recommendation/ar-BB18hP4i?li=BBnb7Kz

Guess the US figures  they can't be quarantinig everybody, maybe Thailand will figure that out.

Thais have told me one hundred times Thailand has everything it needs & is totally independent

I believe so. Who really needs Mercedes Benz, iPhones & Google when you have Tuk Tuks, Rice &

know everything already 

• Haha 1