Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions

webfact

Thanks for doing the math. Maybe you should send it from an internet cafe with a new email address to all the government agencies and ask for some clarification on the Tourist Ministers credentials and figures.

that would be interesting if they replied .

Let's do the math.

4 months is about 17.4 weeks.

2 weeks quarantine that's 8.7 quarantine periods from Dec to March.

So they must have 230,000 people in quarantine at the same time and I estimate about 2,000 hotels with quarantine facilities. Realistic?

No idea how realistic 2 million long stay tourists are. Seems like a fantasy number.

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

There are exactly 90 days in January, February and March 2021. Fitting 2 million people into that time (77 days) would necessitate 25,975 people arriving per day.

Don't like to put a dampener on your calculations but In high season Suvarnabhumi airport alone has 200,000 arrivals per day, so even allowing for Covid related spacing on planes this does not represent a problem

Edited by Dene16
addition

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

You'll be lucky to get people in the thousands but more like hundreds if they have to quarantine for 14 days and pay for it .

instead of counting the tourist.. tthey shold remove thequarantine or live with the fact of no tourist.

what is the differene being in an island lockedin a hotel or in bangkok locked the same way.

first the tourists has to pay more money going to phuket. stay in more expensve hotels and eat more expensive food.. the costwill look like a $3,000 for 14 days

I just don't understand how these people think.. Tourists who come and enjoy phuket.. loves the beaches and gong around. They just want tem to be locked like jailed people in their room for 14 days.

these thai government need to stop lying to the travel industry---NOBODY WILL COME 

FARANGS< CHINESE< OR JAPANESE>----do they want tourists with their kids and wife locked in their room for 14 days .. THEY AR SO SO SO STUPID> let me repeat it again ..NOBODY NOBODY WILL COME

So every other day somebody comes up with the same hare-brained idea wrapped up in different verbiage. 

The only word in the article worth anything was, "hope"

And it is considered to be headline news!

2 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Don't like to put a dampener on your calculations but In high season Suvarnabhumi airport alone has 200,000 arrivals per day, so even allowing for Covid related spacing on planes this does not represent a problem

Ah and yet another Thai mathematician who has yet to realize that the flights needed and actually flying right now are  none if any, and for the sheer numbers your using from prior to Covid times those are from full planes and maxed out flights..  

I think these guys are quite smart. They like to pick up cheap properties when the market crashes (there was an huge oversupply already before covid19).

Later sell after opening up the country again, lets say at the end of 2021. Big business ???? 

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah and yet another Thai mathematician who has yet to realize that the flights needed and actually flying right now are  none if any, and for the sheer numbers your using from prior to Covid times those are from full planes and maxed out flights..  

Agreed. He's using 2019 stats. 

6 hours ago, Paiman said:

May be because 98% of Thais think their country is better than other countries - logic to follow, 98% of all international Tourists have only 1 dream - holidays in the promised land  -  Thailand.

Sometimes I think my jar of peanut butter in the cupboard has an higher IQ than these official Lurers.

Those with wet dreams.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Disagree. He's merely pointing out that airport capacity would not be a bottleneck, not saying Phuket could accept 200,000 arrivals per day. Don't take things so literal. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why would Anyone trying to visit Thailand being for tourism or other ,all the trouble plus 14 day Quarantine .by the time one gets her the holiday is over.

some lucky people can stay longer.

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's just pure hot air as usual

for obvious reasons the tourism minister is not really busy at the moment

then he is trying to justify his high wage with some press statements

The ones real in charge (CCSA) have already say NO to this plan

''Several leading doctors in Thailand who advise the Ministry of Public Health and the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) have made social media posts this weekend stating they are strongly opposed to opening Thailand to tourists at this point in any way, shape or form.

The concern follows the government announcing on Friday a plan to cautiously re-open Phuket to a limited number of foreign tourists in October.''

Complete article in this link

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/08/23/leading-thai-doctors-strongly-against-plans-to-open-thailand-phuket-to-any-tourists-say-should-wait-six-months/ 

The problem is that doctors are looking at only the health side of the issue. They don't care about economic or social consequences of their recommendations.

They even admit that in the USA and in Europe.

But this is a problem with many implications and we need to find a way to minimize overall harm

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Whether you are quarantined in a hotel in Bangkok or on an island, what's the difference?

Wouldn't you have better TV channels in Bangkok and a bigger selection of takeout delivered to your hotel room?

I don't get it.

It is easier to lock down the islands after the bad tourists brought the bad virus into Thailand... islands are the guinea pigs and Bangkok needs to be saved at any cost.

Once there is one case of a tourist with covid, full border closure and "We told you so.."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

great plan ! prepare to welcome Zero tourists

The rich tourists want convenience and nice amenities. They don't have much time to spend in one place.

the poor tourist want opportunities to enjoy the time in a cheap way.

Locking them for 2 weeks will not work for either of them

GOOD LUCK ..YOU GOVERNMENT STUPIS IDIOTS> go ahead and smoke some Tom yam <deleted>. 

Nobody  believes you.

3 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Disagree. He's merely pointing out that airport capacity would not be a bottleneck, not saying Phuket could accept 200,000 arrivals per day. Don't take things so literal. 

Ahhh....no. The original post cited 200,000 arrivals per day at Suvarnabhumi. That's an irrelevant stat that was tossed around early 2019. That has dropped to approximately 2-3000 per day, half of which are Thai nationals. The expected flood of arrivals in this proposal is comical. Amazing Thailand!

I’ll need more certificates than I got from school, college and University to get here for a two week stay in a prison hotel after a flight from hell including the airport experience, then can’t travel about ( not that there is much to see in a 1km radius of the hotel) and constantly having swabs rammed up your nose and throat, I’ve done this useless inaccurate PCR test and I can tell you it aint no lollipop experience... than after your sentence you get to spend another two weeks in quarantine on your return to your home Country... These clowns are living in cloud coocoo land... no one is coming you fools. 

Edited by fraggleRock

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah and yet another Thai reader that is unable to read the post properly.

I stated that even under covid spacing it could easily match those figures. Also the op was talking about 25,000 arrivals across,not one, but 2 airports. Pre Covid figures or not its a drop in the ocean

Just another op that likes to argue for the sake of it????

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, the green light said:

there is no way a tourist with a 2 week vacation will come to thailand.

This is quite clearly not aimed at tourists with a 2 week vacation, and obviously so with the stipulated 30 day minimum stay requirement. Wake up. It is aimed at tourists who with to stay 3-6 months and have a large need or desire to get back to Thailand. 

I predict thousands will take up the offer, but not 2 million! 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

This is quite clearly not aimed at tourists with a 2 week vacation, and obviously so with the stipulated 30 day minimum stay requirement. Wake up. It is aimed at tourists who with to stay 3-6 months and have a large need or desire to get back to Thailand. 

I predict thousands will take up the offer, but not 2 million! 

agree, immigration/TAT must have statistics on the number of tourists who visit for up to and over 30 days, but i would suggest this is a relatively small number i.e. it will not include tour groups, package holidaymakers, families and anyone in normal employment. where they get a number of 2 million is anyone's guess, maybe just wishful thinking...

Edited by samsensam

7 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Everyone but the Thai ministers know this makes zero sense.

If you're a real tourist, who would spend 2 weeks in quarantine on arrival + 2 weeks quarantine back in their home country for a 1 week holiday in Phuket? Who even has 5 weeks holiday to do it as a lot of people used up their holiday time during lockdown when they ran out of sick leave.

Then you have the long stay like me who spend 6 months per year in Pattaya. Why would I want to stay in Phuket for 3 weeks at my cost. I have no interest going there 

Quarantine on the way back too ?

So strange! These guys live in their own world if they expect anyone coming.

• Thanks 1