Video: Krabi spends nearly 30 million baht on accident prevention

webfact

Video: Krabi spends nearly 30 million baht on accident prevention

8pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media 77kaoded said that the authorities in Krabi had come up with an absolutely wonderful and great idea. 

Accident prevention on roads used by tourists.

To accomplish this goal they have built guard rail style barriers on dangerous bends made of synthetic rubber wheels.

This apparently satisfies a "Green Tourism" initiative and is of an international standard.

There are three places where the rails have been installed at a cost of nearly ten million baht each - one in the Ao Nang area, and two in Koh Sri Borya sub-district. 

8pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Total spend is a snip at  just 29,313,600 baht. 

That is under a million dollars, notes Thaivisa. 

All this would be great for ensuring the safety of tourists, said the media. 

They published a video of something not often seen on Thailand's much maligned and often dangerous roads.

Sensible driving and order as all sorts of vehicles traversed a bend - set to the sound of soothing music. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-24

You have some motorists in Thailand, if they hit it, they ll be launched.

And if you might fall, you ll be beheaded or brake some bones, while sliding under the railing.

But maybe its handy for people who cant drive a Ferrari.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

The one in Ao Nang is on a little used shortcut between Ao Nang and Klong Muang.

It is a minor road with very little traffic and generally very low speeds. Since they built the bridge and opened the road there have been very few accidents (I used to live on that road).

Why they didn't use this system on the Ao Nang - Krabi road which has sharp bends fast, high density traffic and many accidents; rather than spoiling a rural road - who knows? TIT

Because they can then claim since they put it no one has died there ,or very few .   Look at me ain’t I so good , me me me I’m doing a good job 

• Like 1

I visited Krabi two weeks ago and went from Surat Thani all along A4 to Krabi in and around town and Ao Nang a couple of times, drove down to Koh Lanta and around south island. Then through A4 to Trang.
I don't recall seeing anything like this on the main roads.

I agree with PaoloR.  if they want claim to fame why are they not on some of the main roads that are heavily used?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Sensible driving and order as all sorts of vehicles traversed a bend - set to the sound of soothing music. 

Almost all the vehicles in the vid take the bends wide. Id like to see how the synthetic rubber with less tensile strength than normal rubber reacts to a heavy impact and UV. That music nearly gave me a micro sleep.

It is noticeable in the video that there are no markings painted on the road - is this because the authorities think that it's a waste of money as the Thais ignore them, don't understand why they are there and have total ignorance of the rules of the road and safe driving techniques. They also think that we are all useless drivers because we do not drive the Thai way!

On 8/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, EvetsKram said:

How does it prevent any crash,  might minimise death though

They will keep vehicles where they belong, on the highway. Maybe you haven't been around long enough to see the number of vehicles that go off the road and into trees, power poles, ditches and canals etc. And worst of all the opposite carriageway.

They might not be able to improve the standard of driving here, (at least not in the short term) but initiatives like this can help to reduce deaths and injuries. I would like to see a lot more of these on the roads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

Drove past yesterday not one mark on the bright yellow pinball bumpers which shows nobody has hit the barriers.

A local Thai said that proves how effective the barrier has been.

My view is that it proves how unnecessary the barrier is in a spot where speeds of over 35km/hour are unachievable.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:06 PM, Scott Tracy said:

watching the video, seeing the number of vehicles that straighten the right hand bend, driving into the opposite lanes.

At least on the road in the OP there's a clear view of the bends on the road ahead and whether there is any oncoming traffic.  Straightening the bend in those circumstances is no big deal and really no different from crossing the centre line when overtaking.

Edited by Cod Face