Anyone else watching 2020 NBA Basketball playoffs?

Just finished my retirement extension for the year, and a few other important things... Popped my head up out of the ground, and discovered the NBA playoffs are just underway.  You know, remember, live professional sports???

At least for Americans, the games are being broadcast on ESPN, TNT and ABC networks. A lot of the games are also available live and later via video on demand replays via the ESPN app on different devices (Android, IOS, etc). But I believe you've got to have access to some kind of paid U.S. cable subscription, or streaming TV subscription, to unlock the full game broadcasts on the ESPN app.

Sling TV's Orange plan has a streaming channel package that includes ESPN and TNT along with a 10-hour included cloud DVR service, but not ABC, for $30 a month. Sling TV also should unlock live and replay games via the ESPN app.

Vidgo TV's basic streaming package, includes ESPN and ABC but not TNT for $40 a month for the first three months, and then $45 thereafter, but no included cloud DVR or replay on demand. Though it does unlock live and replay games on the ESPN app.

There are other streaming TV packages with higher prices that also will provide access to the NBA playoff games, including YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Fubo TV, among others. There are also some various gray-market websites and apps that will provide access to the games.

• Like 2

Sure, love the NBA.  Watched Lebron drop 38 yesterday morning drinking my fresh coffee in the comfort of my room. 

Android boxes have been discussed many times on TVF.

With the box I have access to 3 apps that show the games live for free.  Also Golf channel, NFL, MLB, anything you want.  No fee, no subscription no nothing all live broadcasts.  Mobdro and LiveNetTV work the best for me.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I believe you've got to have access to some kind of paid U.S. cable subscription, or streaming TV subscription, to unlock the full game broadcasts on the ESPN app

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, love the NBA.  Watched Lebron drop 38 yesterday morning drinking my fresh coffee in the comfort of my room. 

Android boxes have been discussed many times on TVF.

With the box I have access to 3 apps that show the games live for free.  Also Golf channel, NFL, MLB, anything you want.  No fee, no subscription no nothing all live broadcasts.  Mobdro and LiveNetTV work the best for me.

Yep, you're right about that, and those are some good, viable free resources...

I don't pay for my streaming package just to watch NBA games. I pay for a variety of things, but mainly, to have a service that allows me to record online the shows I want, including professional sports, for later viewing at a time(s) that's convenient for me.... And not have my viewing times be dictated by the typical early morning Thai hours when primetime things in the west are airing live.

And AFAIK, that's something you can't readily do via Mobdro and the like.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Closing out the series this Wednesday. Give the old man some time to recoup. And the fragile AD some time to recoup.

Monday set a Lakers record for 3-pointers made. And the Clippers? Oh well. I feel so sorry for them, not.

Doncic is The (new) Man. Referred to disparagingly as the The White Boy. I remember when Bird was dismissed as such. Discrimination is alive and well.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:57 AM, whiteman said:

NOPE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Who cares white man? Sorry, too good to pass up. So you didn't hear or care Doncic was disparaged as one of you. Just a fun fact. You can go back to sleeping in your bathrobe on the couch. 5555

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No.

Ever since my team got moved I haven't been that interested in the NBA.  Still love watching the college game, especially March Madness.  

Back in the day, 20 years ago, I would sit at the open air bar in the middle of Nana Plaza and watch a tape delay of the game played earlier.  It was great as long as I didn't know who had already won.

Looks like it was good I watched a bit of NBA playoffs basketball while I had the chance...

There was talk the whole rest of the season might be canceled.  And now, perhaps that's not going to happen, though there hasn't been a formal announcement as yet.

NBA players have decided to resume the playoffs, a source tells ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Thursday's three playoff games will be postponed. A resumption of the season could come as soon as Friday, but there is expected to be a return to the play by the weekend according to sources.

Players held a meeting at 11 a.m. ET. There will be another meeting Thursday with two players from each team talking to NBA owners, sources tell ESPN's...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29752941/nba-players-decide-resume-playoffs

From yesterday:

The NBA playoffs are on the brink of cancelation after an 'ugly' meeting where the Lakers and the Clippers left early after voting to end the season

The NBA season is on the brink of ending early after a meeting Wednesday involving players, coaches, and referees that David Aldridge of The Athletic described as ending "ugly."

The remaining teams in the Disney World bubble held a meeting after all six NBA teams scheduled to play on Wednesday boycotted games to protest the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The boycotts began when the Milwaukee Bucks did not take the floor for Game 5 of their first-round series against the Orlando Magic.

https://www.insider.com/lakers-clippers-lebron-james-boycott-season-meeting-2020-8

On 8/25/2020 at 8:40 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Nope. Will never waste my time watching a bunch of millionaires disrespecting the country, the flag and the anthem pretending that life is unfair based on your race, religion, environment, background, etc. when they didn't have the sack to join and defend the very country that made them overnight millionaires. And then to also have them demand they still get paid but refuse to play because there's nobody in the stands cheering for them. I'd wager that none of them can even point to the "offending words" in the anthem that they're protesting. Not to mention they're refusal to stop taking 40% of their profits from China or shun the inhumane atrocities carried out by the Chinese government for fear of losing a few kilos of heroin worth of salary.

At least the WWE hired a few extras to act as an audience and carried on entertaining their fans at home stuck on lockdown.

OK, sorry-rant over

Couldn't agree more.

The NBA is a racist organization that descriminates against white people and supports BLM.

I used to be a big fan but no more.

If they had "All Lives Matter" written on their court instead "Black Lives Matter" than I would consider watching them.

The white liberals that watch the NBA and support their BLM cause aren't smart enough to understand that they are being disrespected!

On 8/28/2020 at 9:35 AM, TBKK said:

The white liberals that watch the NBA and support their BLM cause aren't smart enough to understand that they are being disrespected!

I'm white, and I don't feel disrespected or discriminated against by the NBA...

Because, pretty much no one in America needs to be reminded that "white lives matter." No need to splash that slogan across basketball courts. Because, white lives have always mattered more than any other ethnic group in the U.S., with its ample history of racial discrimination against minority groups.

On the other hand, it seems like A LOT of white Americans very much need reminding that "Black Lives Matter" as well, and should matter just as much/equally as everyone else... Sadly, it's posts and opinions like yours that amply demonstrate that discrimination against minorities and white victim anger are alive and well in the U.S.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm white, and I don't feel disrespected or discriminated against by the NBA...

Because, pretty much no one in America needs to be reminded that "white lives matter." No need to splash that slogan across basketball courts. Because, white lives have always mattered more than any other ethnic group in the U.S., with its ample history of racial discrimination against minority groups.

On the other hand, it seems like A LOT of white Americans very much need reminding that "Black Lives Matter" as well, and should matter just as much/equally as everyone else... Sadly, it's posts and opinions like yours that amply demonstrate that discrimination against minorities and white victim anger are alive and well in the U.S.

If you read my post, at no time did I state that they should put on their court that "white lives matter".

That would be discriminating against other racial groups. I said they should put on their court that "all lives matter". Of course, white liberals can't understand that putting on their court "black lives matter" discriminates against whites, asians, latinos and all other racial groups. 

Hard for me to understand that suggesting they put the slogan "all lives matter" on their court means that my opinion expresses discrimination against minorities, but I never have been able to understand the philosophy of white liberals.

I suggest that after watching the NBA and supporting BLM, you and your white liberal friends write and an e-mail or a letter to BLM and apologize to them for being white!         

Just watched the Milwaukee Bucks finish Orlando, 4 games to 1.  Next up is Miami.  I subscribe to NBA.tv and have access to all the games but I only watch the Milwaukee Bucks, my hometown team.

13 minutes ago, camble said:

Just watched the Milwaukee Bucks finish Orlando, 4 games to 1.  Next up is Miami.  I subscribe to NBA.tv and have access to all the games but I only watch the Milwaukee Bucks, my hometown team.

If someone wants to deal directly with the NBA in terms of streaming, it looks like they have several options that will stream most or all of the playoff games and finals, as follows:

Screenshot_14.jpg.e9617263d6777befe1c01d20bcaa83e1.jpg

https://www.nba.com/watch/pricing

For US folks, I believe...on cable TV and their streaming apps:

--ESPN will broadcast the Eastern Conference Finals

--TNT (and NBA.TV?) will broadcast the Western Conference Finals

--and then the Finals will be broadcast on ABC

But if you buy an NBA League Pass directly from the NBA online with a U.S. IP address, that will give you access to all the games regardless of what network they're being broadcast on.

The separate subscription to NBA TV looks like it will broadcast a lot of the playoffs games, but I can't quite tell if it's all... But the other difference is with NBA TV, you only can view the games when NBA TV airs them on their schedule, whereas with the NBA League Passes, you can go back and watch any games from the regular season and playoffs anytime you want.

https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2020/schedule#/

Just want to clarify re the NBA League Pass options listed above:

Because the NBA Playoff games are ALL nationally broadcast, the NBA's League Passes do NOT give online access to the LIVE versions of those games.  The League Pass website has info that says the full games are supposed to be available for VOD (video on demand) online 3 hours after the conclusion of each game.

And, although I'm not sure whether or not this applies re the Playoff games, but the info below also talks about a 3 day waiting period for "locally blacked out games."  In other words, during the regular season for sure, if your IP address was in Boston, the League Pass could have a 3-day waiting period on Boston-market NBA team games.

1594859057_NBALeaguePass-VODavail3hoursaftercompletionnationalbroadcastgames.jpg.6b256abddb198275e91909cb2efd482b.jpg

1199461686_NBALeaguePass-nationalbroadcastgamesnotavailLIVE.jpg.6c10a3168177da157be5653ea2a33510.jpg

Reason being - the major OTA/cable networks that pay big bucks to live broadcast NBA games in the U.S. want folks watching via their channels and seeing their advertising for the live games -- not watching them online via the NBA League Passes.