Less than one year passport

I have less than one year on my passport after the next visa extension. 

Will immigration extend my visa if it is less than 12 months i.e. only 9 months left on the next renewal?

During this Covid period, I don't wish to go out of Thailand.

Edited by warcy

I had just over a year left on my passport when I did my last extension (beginning of June). I'm now under a year so I will get a new passport before my next Extension.

I am applying at the Embassy for a new one (have to make an appointment then travel to Bangkok on the appointed day). They say it can take up to 3 weeks to get back all going well (last time it was 10 days but that was a few years ago). (Canadian Embassy.)

Once I get my new passport and the letter from the Embassy requesting my current stamps be transferred to my new passport, I will go to Immigration and get that done. Last time it took a day (at Jomtien) and didn't cost anything.

Apparently there is a form letter that the Embassy provides regarding the transfer of your stamps, to verify that they issued the passport or something. 

I'd get cracking on getting a new passport before your next Extension. Otherwise, as UbonJoe noted, it would only go until the expiry date of your passport and then you'd have to do it again (after getting a new passport any ways).

• Thanks 1

I just went through all of this. I'm from the states and had to make an emergency appointment to get an emergency 1 year passport as my 10 year passport expired on 3 aug as did my extension. (This was when the amnesty expired on 31 july) The US embassy issued me a 1 year emergency passport right on the spot. (made in Bangkok) Also issued me the transfer letter. Went to immigration the end of July with 4 days left on my extension and it went just like every other year except my 1 year extension is only good for 10 months. (because I got the new emergency passport on 19 June so it expires on 18 June next year)

The 1 year passport cost the same as the 10 year but next year I can apply for a new 10 year passport for free.

Immigration transferred my visa and last extension but unlike the 1st time 10 years ago, this time they charged me 500 baht.

ps. 1/2 way through the process of applying for my new extension, immigration told me the amnesty deadline had been extended to sept 26th and I could wait and come back then if I wanted. Didn't make much sense as my extension would still expire on 18 June and I would only get 8 months instead of 10. :wai:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

just went through all of this. I'm from the states and had to make an emergency appointment to get an emergency 1 year passport as my 10 year passport expired on 3 aug as did my extension.

That was before they started accepting passport applications again.

• Like 1

You can get an extension , but it will only be valid until the expiry date of your current passport. Will have to get the authorisation to stay transferred over, then apply for a new extension in your new passport. Certainly UK passports you can renew from here. Others I don’t know.

I am in the same position extension due mid October but passport expires the following Aug so I guess I will only get 10 months. But as a UK citizen I believe now if you apply for a new passport it is dated from issue not when the old one expires any more. Therefore I either lose 2 months on my extension or nearly a year on my passport. Extensions are less hassel to get than passports so I will accept only getting 10 months this year.

29 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

You can get an extension , but it will only be valid until the expiry date of your current passport. Will have to get the authorisation to stay transferred over, then apply for a new extension in your new passport. Certainly UK passports you can renew from here. Others I don’t know.

UK passport you can go to the Trendy building near Nana I think Soi 13?

However the application is done here and checked at the office then sent to UK.

The passport office in UK is working on short-time with limited personnel due to Corvid restrictions, apparently the backlog is horrendous, not the usual 3-4 weeks turn-around.

Maybe something you should consider asking about if you have to send it to your home country.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

UK passport you can go to the Trendy building near Nana I think Soi 13?

However the application is done here and checked at the office then sent to UK.

The passport office in UK is working on short-time with limited personnel due to Corvid restrictions, apparently the backlog is horrendous, not the usual 3-4 weeks turn-around.

Maybe something you should consider asking about if you have to send it to your home country.

UK passports from Thailand are issued from Liverpool and the waiting time is currently 3-4 weeks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

How long does it now take in Thailand to apply for and receive a new UK passport ?Grateful for any responses on this.

Normal is 3 to 3 weeks.

But I have read some posts of people getting a email from the UK informing them it would be 6 to 8 weeks before there's would be done.

27 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

How long does it now take in Thailand to apply for and receive a new UK passport ?Grateful for any responses on this.

I renewed my UK passport in November last year i Bangkok. 4 weeks from giving them my old passport, my new passport was there ready for me to go pick it up

Recently KK IO did my extension up until my passport date (less than 12 months).

The IO pre-covid made a point of 12 months. At least IO saw the difficulty of obtaining a new passport.

Usual mountain of paperwork, but all done & dusted. Good 1 Kohn Kaen IO. TY

On 8/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Your application for the extension of stay will accepted but it will only be issued to the day your passport expires.

Do you have to leave to apply for a new passport?

I've been told by my embassy that the waiting time might be much longer due to Covid-19 because there's a huge backlog of new passport applications.

Of course, if we go back to our home country, it will take around 2 days instead of few months but it would be almost impossible to get back to Thailand.

6 hours ago, crutchy26 said:

Recently KK IO did my extension up until my passport date (less than 12 months).

The IO pre-covid made a point of 12 months. At least IO saw the difficulty of obtaining a new passport.

Usual mountain of paperwork, but all done & dusted. Good 1 Kohn Kaen IO. TY

Sorry, I'm confused with what you said. You said IO gave you less than 12 months but then what does 'a point of 12 months' mean?

Edited by warcy