Services available for US/Thai kids with little money?

KeeTua

There's a couple of US/Thai kids with US birth certificates, mother and father were married, I presume in Thailand, but no longer together. For whatever reason the father does not provide support to the kids and the oldest of the two, high school age, had to leave school because of lack of money. The Thai family of the kids asked if there is any help or services available since they are American. They claim the father may currently be in Thailand.

I don't know these kids and have no first hand knowledge of the circumstances but I have seen their photos and birth certificates. The family reached out to my 'wife' only because they know she is with an American.

Any aid or resources available in Thailand? I suggested they contact the embassy but maybe that is just a wasted trip for a poor Issan family.

• Like 1

Many school also help if they know hole situation! Thai people are mostly really helpful for that kind situation! I know many school Director whitch have even build house to poor family. They have get money from local people, teatcher's and other who donate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KeeTua said:

I suggested they contact the embassy but maybe that is just a wasted trip for a poor Issan family.

Contacting the US Embassy might not be a bad idea re: financial child support, support order from a court

A google search might offer other options

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+child+support+for+foreign+children

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

Contacting the US Embassy might not be a bad idea re: financial child support, support order from a court

A google search might offer other options

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+child+support+for+foreign+children

OK thanks for the confirmation to contact the embassy.

And thanks for the other suggestions above but I think a more long term solution would be preferred.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:58 AM, KeeTua said:

There's a couple of US/Thai kids with US birth certificates,

Which makes them US citizens, no? In this case they would be destitute minors. There's got to be child services in the US to contact. Also churches. Hate to suggest religious institutes, not being religious myself, but these are sorts of situations they like to respond to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

if a thai deadbeat "father" don't "have" to pay anything without consequences,  why would/could they force a non thai ?  take money from his immigration retirement fund ?

Because he is Not a Thai but an American citizen subject to US laws. If a US citizen  doesn't pay child support for a child  and abandons them the courts in US can cancell their passport, take their IRS refund or attach/garnish their wages or pension.

• Like 2

Ok, here's a possible option...if the father is collecting social security benefits in any way, the minor children are eligible and entitled to 50% of the parent's monthly payment amount...and if the father is deceased, the payment is then 75% up until the child is 18...it is a bit of a lengthy process, but well worth it as the first payment will be the accrued amount from when the child was born...the first step is to get in contact with US Social Security office in Manila...

i know all this because my daughter's benefit is 40k baht/month...the first payment was nearly 500k baht...

well worth looking into!!!

cheers

JB

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 3:27 AM, Why Me said:

Which makes them US citizens, no? In this case they would be destitute minors. There's got to be child services in the US to contact. Also churches. Hate to suggest religious institutes, not being religious myself, but these are sorts of situations they like to respond to.

Some kind of child services here or the US is the direction I thought they may be able to take. Maybe they could help get the kids in contact with US relatives that could take them in. I think the US embassy must have seen this type of situation several times so they must have some standard response helpful or not.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, Tony125 said:

Because he is Not a Thai but an American citizen subject to US laws. If a US citizen  doesn't pay child support for a child  and abandons them the courts in US can cancell their passport, take their IRS refund or attach/garnish their wages or pension.

Deadbeat dad or not unfortunately just sending money directly to a typical cash poor Issan family would have many complications the end result being the kids would likely not see much if any of it used directly for their benefit.

1 minute ago, KeeTua said:

Some kind of child services here or the US is the direction I thought they may be able to take.

Exactly, that's why I suggested churches in the US. They are well-funded and well-meaning and do missionary activities abroad. I would be surprised if one weren't interested in helping American children in distress. And it would be easier for them to get going than a Govt. child services.

• Like 1

If they have US birth certificate, the father can be found via US Embassy/Thai Immigration, if the deadbeat is still in Thailand. If the deadbeat has left LOS back to the US, then it becomes even easier. 

Good luck to the single mother. I hope the deadbeat is found soon, pays all back money, and anything due in the future. 

Running out on a child, is.......

Edited by Shot

21 hours ago, Shot said:

If they have US birth certificate, the father can be found via US Embassy/Thai Immigration, if the deadbeat is still in Thailand. If the deadbeat has left LOS back to the US, then it becomes even easier. 

Good luck to the single mother. I hope the deadbeat is found soon, pays all back money, and anything due in the future. 

Running out on a child, is.......

I've never met the family, they live in another province and I don't know the circumstances so we can't say if this is about a deadbeat dad. Father could be dead for all we know.

I've kicked it around hypothetically. How would a father send child support to a mom in an Issan village, a woman who may already have had an sketchy background, and expect the funds to actually go for the kids upbringing. I think it would be a nearly impossible task. There are so many potential variables like paying off debts, gambling, drinking, supporting aging parents or another guy, relatives coming around asking for handouts. Villagers don't hang onto money for long.

A trusted third party to manage the funds? Good luck with that. Family members would harass anyone hanging onto money for the kids. Child protective services? None that I've heard of, but I've never asked about it.