Car polishing machine dual action (DA polisher) How to choose ? How many watts at least ? 12v won't do it ?

SePl

hello,

anybody knows how to choose a cheap car polishing machine, dual action polisher ?

The cheapest i found is this

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/220-240-680-dual-i877368243-s1769892729.html

220V-240V 680W Adjustable Speed Dual Action Car Polishing Machine Shock Polisher Sealing Glaze Waxing Machine

If this price good already ? and 680w enough ?

I also found some working on 12v, maybe convenient if no electric plug around, but only 80w, so I guess not powerful enough ?

if you know a good brand or have bought one around here please tell me which one ?

thanks a lot.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

i have a fantastic car polishing machine its called the wife, she is a fitness fanatic and is for ever running, gardening ,cleaning and washing and polishing the car. in fact she is out there now washing the darn thing.

Thank you for your help, we need more people like you here !

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, PFMills said:

You haven’t actually said what you intend doing as there are various stages in polishing…you want to

…remove the orange peel on the clear coat

… remove the swirls

… just apply wax or something similar, easier to do my hand in my opinion

A small DA like that would take you ages to do the first two items. Also you need to choose the correct ‘compounds’ and the correct pads.

Good luck with that if you have little or no previous experience , but guess that you have already watched several videos on YouTube.

Modern waxes and paint sealants are very easy and quick to apply…I favour  applying Opti-seal after dry washing with ONR. Only takes a few minutes to do the whole car…

Also, if you intend putting some sort of ceramic coating on after polishing, just make sure you wipe over with something like IPA (diluted at least 50%) first!

I just want to wax, and yes I am watching videos since years. I also think that if the local idiots can do it as any car wash, I guess that I cannot be worst than them and I should be able to do it also.

What is optiseal and ONR ? Few minutes only might be interesting, as you seem to know what you are talking about. Please tell me more ?

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SePl said:

EVERYWHERE EVERYBODY online is saying and showing that only idiots would damage a car when waxing it with a DA polisher, so are you sure to have a clue about what you are talking about ?

I first used a DA polisher over 40 years ago (my father and grandfather were in the car repair business and I am currently a partner in a car sales and repair business). I have applied all kinds of paints, cellulose, 1K, 2Ks - you name it. And polished them.

You appear to have zero experience but if you want to believe 'EVERYWHERE EVERYBODY online' who says only idiots would damage a car with a DA polisher then good luck to you my friend.

Polishing is not the same as applying wax. If you just want to apply wax then do it by hand.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I first used a DA polisher over 40 years ago (my father and grandfather were in the car repair business and I am currently a partner in a car sales and repair business). I have applied all kinds of paints, cellulose, 1K, 2Ks - you name it. And polished them.

You appear to have zero experience but if you want to believe 'EVERYWHERE EVERYBODY online' who says only idiots would damage a car with a DA polisher then good luck to you my friend.

Polishing is not the same as applying wax. If you just want to apply wax then do it by hand.

Yes, it's so famous that people talking about a business that they manage usually are experts ! hahahaha. so funny

Anybody watching youtube video can no more than thoese "experts" who live and believe in their past without ever trying to improve.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SePl said:

Yes, it's so famous that people talking about a business that they manage usually are experts ! hahahaha. so funny

Anybody watching youtube video can no more than thoese "experts" who live and believe in their past without ever trying to improve.

You posted and asked for advice. I gave it. Sorry it doesn't meet with your approval.

Obviously, having watched some YouTube videos, you know far more than I do.....

• Haha 2

On 8/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, PFMills said:

Plenty of videos on youtube for ONR same for Opti-seal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoyotxXXp_I). If your car is really dirty best to hose off or even wet wash first. I don't favour waxes if the car is white ... here it gets very hot and some wax can soften allowing dust to collect and then your white car is not white any longer ...  and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zK56hAYu8   fill your boots

This ONW waching video always show already cleaned cars, so ridiculous.

No ONR washing will get a good result on most cars because usually a car is dirty when you wash it...

• Like 2

I don't think that the electric polishers damage the paint when used correctly. I.e waxed directly after washed/clayed. 

The thing is that it's very time consuming - 2 hours of hard grind. It's nice if you have the time and have just bought a car but after a few months I just go to the local car wash that takes 15 miutes and costs 60 baht. I bought the whole set last year: foam lance gun, pressure washer (100bar), polisher(620watts) with a few pads (cotton/clay etc) and I think i've used it 4 times in a year,  works out to over 1k per clean.  

If anybody is interested in repurchasing it from me, drop me a pm. 

lance.jpg

Polisher.jpg

pressure.jpg

Edited by Jackjbkk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jackjbkk said:

I don't think that the electric polishers damage the paint when used correctly. I.e waxed directly after washed/clayed. 

The thing is that it's very time consuming - 2 hours of hard grind. It's nice if you have the time and have just bought a car but after a few months I just go to the local car wash that takes 15 miutes and costs 60 baht. I bought the whole set last year: foam lance gun, pressure washer (100bar), polisher(620watts) with a few pads (cotton/clay etc) and I think i've used it 4 times in a year,  works out to over 1k per clean.  

If anybody is interested in repurchasing it from me, drop me a pm. 

lance.jpg

Polisher.jpg

pressure.jpg

2 hours to wax a car when a car wash can do it in 20 mns ?! Clearly wrong.

• 3 months later...

I have a mechanical aptitude of 5 and learned to use a dual action polisher from watching youtube videos.  There are a variety of pads you can attach, make sure you use the correct pad for the specific task you are performing.  Only a trained professional should use a rotary polisher.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, bert bloggs said:

i have a fantastic car polishing machine its called the wife, she is a fitness fanatic and is for ever running, gardening ,cleaning and washing and polishing the car. in fact she is out there now washing the darn thing.

And has extended her knowledge.

Holds an MBA in polishing other things too.