England withdraw Maguire from Nations League squad after trial in Greece

webfact

England withdraw Maguire from Nations League squad after trial in Greece

2020-08-25T195921Z_5_LYNXMPEG7O10K_RTROPTP_3_SOCCER-UEFANATIONS-ENG.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Europa League Semi Final - Sevilla v Manchester United - RheinEnergieSTADION, Cologne, Germany - August 16, 2020 Manchester United's Harry Maguire reacts, as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Ina Fassbender/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was withdrawn from England's Nations League squad on Tuesday after a Greek court found him guilty of multiple charges following a brawl on the island of Mykonos last week.

Court officials said Maguire had been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest in Mykonos last Thursday.

The 27-year-old was handed a suspended prison sentence of 21 months and 10 days by the Greek court.

Manchester United captain Maguire was initially named in Southgate's latest squad on Tuesday, while his trial was ongoing.

"In light of this evening’s developments, I can confirm I have withdrawn Harry Maguire from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark," Southgate said in a statement.

"As I said earlier today, I reserved the right to review the situation. Having spoken to Manchester United and the player, I have made this decision in the best interests of all parties and with consideration of the impact on our preparations for next week."

Centre back Maguire had pleaded not guilty and was released after spending two nights in police custody following his arrest. He was represented by his lawyers in court at a hearing on Tuesday.

After Tuesday's verdict, Maguire said he had instructed his legal team "with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing".

In a news conference earlier on Tuesday, Southgate said Maguire did have regrets about how the incident had affected the team.

"Harry regrets the fact he has brought that sort of focus and attention to the team - he apologised for that - but also has his own side of the story," said Southgate.

England have decided against calling up a replacement for Maguire as they prepare to face Iceland on Sept. 5 in Reykjavik before taking on Denmark in Copenhagen on Sept. 8.

Captain Harry Kane is included in the squad despite being in quarantine following a trip to the Bahamas.

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood, Manchester City's Phil Foden and fellow midfielder Kalvin Phillips of Leeds United will all have chance to make their international debuts.

Goalkeeper Dean Henderson, back at Manchester United after a loan spell with Sheffield United last season, also earns a call-up along with regular first-choice keeper Jordan Pickford and back-up Nick Pope.

Midfielder Jack Grealish, who helped Aston Villa retain their Premier League status last season, has not been included in the squad nor has Burnley defender James Tarkowski.

With Ben Chilwell and Luke Shaw injured, there is no recognised left back in the squad, meaning one of the right backs will have to switch sides, which Southgate conceded was "not ideal".

His England side have not played since November last year due to the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, which also forced Euro 2020 to be pushed back a year.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Tyrone Mings, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Phil Foden, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Harry Winks

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Additional reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Ken Ferris and Pritha Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-26

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Court officials said Maguire had been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest in Mykonos last Thursday.

The 27-year-old was handed a suspended prison sentence of 21 months and 10 days by the Greek court.

Manchester United captain Maguire was initially named in Southgate's latest squad on Tuesday, while his trial was ongoing.

"In light of this evening’s developments, I can confirm I have withdrawn Harry Maguire from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark," Southgate said in a statement.

Sounds to me that Maguire was talking a lot of BS. An now he is foolish enough to instruct his lawyer to appeal in a Greek court. ????????

1 hour ago, webfact said:

After Tuesday's verdict, Maguire said he had instructed his legal team "with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing".

My advice would be to be happy with the suspended sentence. Like this he is really asking them to put him inside for his remaining sentence. As I see it, the court was doing him a favor after he was accused of hitting an officer. This will come back and bite him in the little buttibutt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe United will face a Greek club in Europe this season, that would be a game to watch!

Will they give a visa to a convicted criminal ????

Caveat: The above is in the event UK people need a visa to visit the EU after December

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Do you know who I Am? a rich and  famous leader fancy a holiday here Harry you will fit right in and you can run over what you like for fun ???? 

Well at least he may be able to bribe the Police in Thailand. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think Maguire's biggest mistake was his arrogant response, worthy of any Thai Hi-So.

I paraphrase.....  "Do you know who I am?  I am the Captain of Manchester United!  I am very rich and I can pay you.  Please do not arrest me".

Not good Harry.  Should of kept your mouth shut and been contrite.  After that outburst Southgate had no choice but to drop him.

Now he’s trying to play the victim. Arrogant p.rick. 

• Like 1

AS yet Don't think we've seen/read wot ACTUALLY

happened.. bac in the day spent quite a few summer hols on syros.. and a brief one night in Mykonos... Never had anything to do with the greek cops... Thankfully ... the word was they were <deleted> poor and over reacted.....But from my exp... Askin a cop is there a way out ain't an unusual scenario abroad... From what I've read macgs's sisters  drink was spiked.. they left in a hurry to get to the hospital.. the cops followed and pulled them over . they thought they were gettim kidnapped..  chaos followed..pulling him from squad  .. IMO BAD
MOVE dont think Southgate will have done himself any favours with the players...sort of thing creates an us and them .. up to now Southgate has v developed a positive group mentality   But hey his shout..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

It's the GREEK judicial system. Got to give Maguire some credit for stupidity and arrogance though.

And you know that cos who says?  ... The sun...or some under paid,  under trained island cop... Shirtin himself cos they mistakenly  man handled a tourist party that turned out not Quite the norm <deleted> up tourist party  they had  expected and the repercussions undefended were ????.. nah mate... I'm all up for banter but..... Not  Sun style speculation

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

The forum language is English. Just because the incident happened in Greece doesn't mean you are allowed to mouth off in Greek.

Consuctive critism always welcome.. ignorance of the topic in hand is not... Go find somewhere else to troll.

2 hours ago, hackjam said:

Much as I dont rate him as a defender, and there was arrogance, must say, put yourself in his shoes and 2 pricks are hassling your sister, I would not be holding back, both would be getting laid out. 

Same thoughts here. The initial stories included allegations of Maguire's sister being ‘injected’ with something and Maguire hit the roof, demanded his sister (and him) be taken to a hospital, instead they were taken to a police station.

Maguire, agitated? I would be. Who wouldn’t be ????  

IF that story is true - he [Maguire] has been targeted.

Final point: Does anyone trust that the Greek police did not try and extort a wealthy famous person then play the sanctimonious and moral high ground once it goes wrong? (the Thai and the Greek Police and legal systems are somewhat remarkably similar in the way they are viewed with distrust by locals and long term expats living in the country). 

Edited by richard_smith237

17 minutes ago, Why Me said:
28 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Consuctive critism

Constructive criticism. Spallin is impotant.

Oh no... forum enemies made !!!..... 

One very valid if somewhat difficult to decipher paragraph followed by a very humorous response.... 

Relax chaps...  you can have two shots and take it in turns as to who’s on top !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Why Me said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Relax chaps...  you can have two shots and take it in turns as to who’s on top !

We're just horsing around here. 3 minus 2 and I are best mates.

One of you wishes you knew how to quit the other ????? 

Back on the Maguire story - I reckon he could have been set up. I think Southgate stood down a bit too early.

I’m not quite sure why Southgate backed off from his initial stance - either evidence (i.e. video) based, or politics and optics. IMO the better optics (in the absence of absolute evidence) is to stand by Maguire. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not quite sure why Southgate backed off from his initial stance - either evidence (i.e. video) based, or politics and optics. IMO the better optics (in the absence of absolute evidence) is to stand by Maguire. 

Respectfully disagree. For Southgate to have sided with Maguire when he's been found guilty in Greece would have been to slur that nation's judicial system. And, on top of that, to put Maguire in to represent England would've been tantamount to a slight of one country by another. 

Southgate did the right thing. Whatever you may think of another country's legal system you are bound to respect it when you are there. There's been a an appeal. Let it play out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same thoughts here. The initial stories included allegations of Maguire's sister being ‘injected’ with something and Maguire hit the roof, demanded his sister (and him) be taken to a hospital, instead they were taken to a police station.

Maguire, agitated? I would be. Who wouldn’t be ????  

IF that story is true - he [Maguire] has been targeted.

Final point: Does anyone trust that the Greek police did not try and extort a wealthy famous person then play the sanctimonious and moral high ground once it goes wrong? (the Thai and the Greek Police and legal systems are somewhat remarkably similar in the way they are viewed with distrust by locals and long term expats living in the country). 

Strange that according to the Prosecution, when interviewed by the Police, his Sister made absolutely no reference to any attack by Albanians or anyone else. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have been and lived all over Europe and I would have the same level tof trust to a French or UK police officer as I would have had for a Greek one. Try bribing Greek police and you will see it will not work as good as it works sometimes here. I am also sure the judicial system did its work in this case as it should (and rightly so) without a care in the world who this guy is. If anything he was actually treated better than a local or a normal guy and spent only two nights behind bars. A couple of weeks for this type of behavior would have been more appropriate.

And for the other poster who defended his actions because his sister was insulted, well fine, except that he is not In trouble for beating the cr*p out of its fellow countrymen who insulted his sister, he is in trouble for behaving like an a*s with police officers, resisting, trying to beat a couple of them and bribing them. For sure, UK police would not offer tea and cake to someone who displays similar behavior  now wouldnt it? 

No surprises here. No disrespect meant but have you ever witnessed the fine behavior of some of your fellow countrymen in the likes of Cavos Corfu, Faliraki Rodos, Chersonisos Crete, Ios and other fine places of low class cheap tourism? It is just that this guy is rich and can afford Mykonos. It is the very same man who would not even go to the court himself to say his side of the story and protest his innocence but opted to send his expensive lawyers instead. Just because he can afford it. 

Yes I am Greek.

Edited by ELLHNAS
Spelling

On 8/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Why Me said:

Constructive criticism. Spallin is impotant.

So I've got a spellin issue.. u think your the first to think it's super smart to take the <deleted> ... Nice.. go get a life or try lookin a little at  yourself . cos from where I'm sitting you and a few others come ax as being proper  <deleted>  but hey if the cap fits ..

22 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Strange that according to the Prosecution, when interviewed by the Police, his Sister made absolutely no reference to any attack by Albanians or anyone else. 

The most detailed report I read was in the guardian.... Said that McGuire and co left the club in a hurry in their hired mini bus and were pulled over... by cops...it was suggested they didn't know it was cops.. and the trouble flared... Tbh I've no recent exp of Greek cops but Mykonos aint a large island and NO DOUBTS it gets  more than its fair share of bad behaviour and small island cops AINT gonna be the best trained   and  treatment cops WORLD WIDE give in this situ is heavy handed.. one thing doing it to a <deleted> up plumber.. no disrespect .. they probably can get away with it.. but when it's a LOADED footballer... The chances are it could go against them they  ain't stupid  so i'de say attack was the best form of defence.. accuse him and  high ball  the charges up  and instantly the rich bod is on the defensive rather than making complaints about the real issue.... their heavy handed treatment This way  at the end of the day the worst thing the cops can get accused of  is having an issue with the language as opposed to heavy-handed ness.. probably leaning more to assault..

On 8/25/2020 at 11:45 PM, champers said:

I am surprised that; with so many mobile phones around; no footage of the incident has come to light.

Mobile footage has come to light and was available at the time of the “trial”, the judge didn’t allow enough time for it to be used, hence a retrial.

If he made the comments of bribery etc the police will have them on video also.

They didn’t produce them. 

Dishonest undercover Greek police associating with Albanian locals?

Never.

28 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

Mobile footage has come to light and was available at the time of the “trial”, the judge didn’t allow enough time for it to be used, hence a retrial.

If he made the comments of bribery etc the police will have them on video also.

They didn’t produce them. 

Dishonest undercover Greek police associating with Albanian locals?

Never.

Do you have a link for the footage?

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

So I've got a spellin issue.. u think your the first to think it's super smart to take the <deleted> . Makes you feel big does it ?  .. Nice..  you carry on, cos  from where I'm sitting you and a few others come ax as being proper  <deleted>  but hey if the cap fits ..