Media and posters show little sympathy for Pattaya’s homeless

webfact

12 hours ago, webfact said:

"Chanisara" called for the authorities to sort out the widespread problem once and for all. 

What would she suggest, "The Final Solution?"  

So much for "Thai Love Thai."  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

Does Thailand officially accept this kind of inhuman language without penalizing it? Is it still a country whose Buddhist culture remains influential?
Does this country wish to highlight such comments who, ultimately, would feel good in countries at their worst moment in history where they knew how to commit genocides (since this always goes hand in hand with the acceptance of that kind of foolish talk)?
Is not the government in place ashamed to see part of its people (if not humans) thus abandoned to their dependencies, their demons, their weaknesses, their worries, their misery? Can we still sing such a beautiful hymn that speaks of brotherhood and accept that at the same time, even if it is only at 8:00 in the morning and at 6:00 in the evening?
Giving, in fact, is a solution of the moment which is sometimes unnecessary. Dignity is work, it is being able to assume dignity, it is having access to healthcare sure it is. but not just that...

Is it a country which, really, faces the problem of addiction to toxic substances ? which has a courageous and not destructive and authoritarian policy ? A policy which condemns criminals (rich or not...) in the same way and which does not see the value of his neighbor in his bank account.

Work is courage, it is honesty, it is knowledge, it is effort ... but for those who are deficient and who can not? Can we accept to despise them without becoming even despicable?

Being strong has never been about stepping on the backs of the weak, ever.

When we have social advantages and we walk on the weak, it is because the system is bad enough, that it is sufficiently corrupt or without recognition of the merits, uneducated, that weak-minded psychopaths have appropriated themselves a good life at risk to undermine social peace.

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

In traditional societies, misfits and criminals are exiled from the tribe.

Without the tribes help, it means almost certain death.

That's why Thai people assume the homeless are crazy, dangerous people.

If they were not, their families would take care of them. ????

Looks like it is an evidence that all families are good and/or rich enough.

Looks like on a full freedom business area, the best would happen suddenly from free business.

Looks like something good will happen from ground zero level of cultural knowledge.

But it is not the reality we can observe.

Looks like human has no history and forget all when he looks himself too much on a mirror and care to much himself as an self pathos obsession.

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

They call themself mia farang. They racist/derogatory themself? No. 

The term “Mia Farang” is racist, xenophobic, and misogynistic! Even those who are labeled as such tend to believe that they are inferior to the norm. Just like Thais’ obsession with skin whitening products, the two issues have never been “sincerely” taught or condemned in Thai society. Without addressing these issues as  illegal and morally wrong, the concepts of “Mia Farang” and/or interracial marriage can never be perceived positively.

11 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You don't need a home in Thailand nobody is going to die from the cold or exposure, well not in Pattaya anyway. I thought you could stay in Wats?

Rough sleeping is fraught with danger and maintaining personal hygeine and appearance must be a nightmare. Your comment seems rather callous to be honest.

11 hours ago, Dialemco said:

These are the few that you can see what about the many unseen destitute and desperate Thais so badly hit by the covid crisis owing no fault of their own. Surely they deserve help and quickly. So Sad

Dialemco, yes, and it will get worse for many not just tourist areas and will not get welfare. I can't help but respect thai people for their restraint in such hard times, but for how long can an empty stomach without a roof keep it in.

4 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

Bodga, well said, and how very true. Where are the thais who have got fat on the back of sin city Pattaya to help the unfortunate in their hour of need ? But many farang khi nok have helped and financed those long food queues. 

Im probably going to upset your  view of me now but I reckon many of the homeless are just downright idle, this based on my years of experience trying and often failing to employ  locals for almost any work.

It would be interesting to see if you offered 100 a  job with accommodation how many would stay more than a few days weeks and actually DO the work.

20 hours ago, biggles45 said:

I always believed Budhism to be a compassionate religion, see how they care for the diseased and often dangerous soi dogs for example. Is this now the new face of the religion? 

Many Thais are not Buddhist in practice. They just called themselves Buddhists ( they just go to pray at temples ) .other than that, no practice of the Buddhist precepts. Similar to many who called themselves Christians but didn’t go to churches or practice the Christian way of life. 

17 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have had Thais explain to me that it is karma coming back on these people.  They have done something bad previously so they deserve it.  The same has been explained to me as to why some Thais have no caring for animals, they are just bad people reincarnated and they have to pay for their previous sins.  It may be what some Thais believe but I am sure their attitude has Siddhartha rolling in his grave.

That is true for Buddhist belief. However whatever their previous deeds, being reincarnated into current situation provide an avenue for practicing Buddhists to show compassion regardless whether recipients deserved them or not. It is not for givers to judge. It is the merit making that matters. Just setting the record straight. 

16 hours ago, geoff65 said:

I can't do nothing for their future but giving them some food or money to buy food is better then stepping over them like their a bit of dog <deleted> or they just don't exist ,it would at least kill the hunger pains and them hydrated for awhile.

Their desperate cases provide an avenue for human beings to show compassion without judgement. Help come straight from the heart not mind. That is the practice of compassion. Giving without passing judgement or expecting reward. 

• Thanks 1

like Australia the government wants to take money off pensioners to help them with pay outs, but at the same time they are handing out billions to not to bad off people to build new houses, and no tax on the very wealthy, and well over paid politicians and I am not talking about their wagers for a few hours a year work, a world of shame, and who is pushing the Chinese government to pay-up?. laugh out loud.

12 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thanks God you have posted only few of it

Mia farang video is interesting and funny. See there life. 

Maybe the lefty think “Mia Farang” derogatory/racist. Up to them. Nobody care. To sensitive. For what?

My point= Sandy criticizes this people for not have job. What is Sandy job?? 

A60C8F56-187F-49B8-BDDB-8AC5A5489765.jpeg

23 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Thai are normaly really empathic! But i have notice other attitude even from my wife. She normaly really concerned about others. One day i was going to help man who lay down on street front of 7/11 , my wife deny me and say "don't he is crazy person". Don't know where she get that idea. But all people just walk away. In my coundry we call ambulance or police to haddle . 

I am acquainted with several mentally ill homeless people in Pattaya. If I have money, I generally give them something. The Thai attitude that mental illness is their own fault, is one of the most reprehensible things about Thai people. Mental illness is the BEST reason to help someone. Most of us are two paychecks away from the street, unless your income is far above normal.

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Mia farang video is interesting and funny

I have seen enough Thai television programs

Thai people facebooks and others social media

to perfectly know that i have a totally different and

opposite idea of what i think is ''interesting and funny''

but hey each find his own way !

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Mia farang video is interesting and funny. See there life. 

Maybe the lefty think “Mia Farang” derogatory/racist. Up to them. Nobody care. To sensitive. For what?

My point= Sandy criticizes this people for not have job. What is Sandy job?? 

A60C8F56-187F-49B8-BDDB-8AC5A5489765.jpeg

I think Sandy's job is to look after that fine specimen of a European Gentlemen ...... 

• Haha 1

Jomtien beach has so many beggars and derelicts at the moment. Putting large numbers of foreign tourists on that beach would lead to many problems. They go straight to the foreigners with aggressive begging. Lao Khao bottles everywhere in a certain spot. 

People wake up....there will always be poor people due to the fact the rich people keeps it that ways. Every country has this problem and just imagine if there was winter in this country! The poor would be already dead to include a lot of others in the Province. 

It’s the country responsibility to police its poor but who are we to remind them of it. They allow construction workers from others countries to come and build these houses and condo when they can set mandatory laws that 75% of the company work force must be Thais.

It’s don’t seem you need a education to mix concrete from what I have seen.  You don’t need an education to paint. I can go on.  You play golf? Who caddy for you? They are poor and uneducated employees of the community surrounding the golf courses. 

I mention this before, where are the people that did not have food doing the lockdown? I see more people selling food on the streets now then ever. Why are they not helping the homeless? The city does not have a place for them. 

As for their Buddha, well when I ask why there are so many, I get a different answer, but my understanding, why keep praying for lucky when this Pandemic has shown your luck has ran out. Bottomline religion prepare you for the next life. It’s written that these times will come and this is just another one. 

The question is this, why are they even talking about the homeless in the media now? They always been here. The world knows it. Are they to target so that the city government can take it mind off what really important? 

I am curious, ain’t you? 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:29 PM, sandyf said:

Not a problem unique to to Thailand.

A destitute asylum seeker was found lying dead next to her malnourished baby son in Glasgow, according to a charity.

Mercy Baguma, from Uganda, was found dead in her flat in the city’s Govan area on Saturday with the child crying beside her, Positive Action in Housing (PAIH) said. Authorities confirmed they had discovered the body of a 34-year-old woman.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mercy-baguma-asylum-seeker-death-glasgow-home-office-a9687486.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=INDNEWS%2326082020&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

Just read an update to this story ,far from being destitute she was the daughter of rich parents ,she had come to Britain to work and far from being a refuge was trying to get permission to live permanantly ,this was refused and she should have gone back home ,she also had a history of depression, she certainly was not a refuge or destitute ,her death is being investigated and her husband who lived at another address is looking after the child ,who was only malnurished because he had been by his mothers side for days unfed.

9 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just read an update to this story ,far from being destitute she was the daughter of rich parents ,she had come to Britain to work and far from being a refuge was trying to get permission to live permanantly ,this was refused and she should have gone back home ,she also had a history of depression, she certainly was not a refuge or destitute ,her death is being investigated and her husband who lived at another address is looking after the child ,who was only malnurished because he had been by his mothers side for days unfed.

You can flog the story to death if you want, whatever the circumstances a sad reflection on UK society that a child starves alongside a dead body. The Home Office would have been aware of the circumstances and had an obligation to protect that child.

It doesn't detract however from the point that Thailand is not the only country with a homeless problem. When I was in Sheffield last year I couldn't believe the numbers sleeping on the streets.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

You can flog the story to death if you want, whatever the circumstances a sad reflection on UK society that a child starves alongside a dead body. The Home Office would have been aware of the circumstances and had an obligation to protect that child.

It doesn't detract however from the point that Thailand is not the only country with a homeless problem. When I was in Sheffield last year I couldn't believe the numbers sleeping on the streets.

Why would the home office have to keep an eye on the woman and her child ,there are thousands in the UK illegally can they moniter every one daily , thats a silly thing to say ,why was not her husband monitering the child ,? 

as for people sleeping on the streets ,the British ones are the ones we should be concerned about ,not illegal immigrants and scroungers.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:55 AM, Truth Will Set You Free said:

It’s don’t seem you need a education to mix concrete from what I have seen.  You don’t need an education to paint. I can go on.  

It’s don’t seem you need a education to mix concrete from what I have seen, Yes you do thats why buildings fall down due to, too much sand and not enough cement.

You don’t need an education to paint. Im not letting any uneducated person near my house with a bucket of paint,

Reminds me of a story years ago here in Phuket, a farang is going back to England for a couple of months so he thought it would be a good idea to get the outside of his house painted while he was away.

So he engaged a team of painters sorted out a price and colour (White) gave the boss enough money to get started.

Off the farang goes comes back after 2 months almost drove past his house they had painted it Blue <deleted>, the reply from the boss was we think you like blue better, Your telling me you dont need to be educated to paint? It would help

• Haha 1