Recipe for beef curry

meyori

Not a lot to go on there.  By "small eggplant" do you mean the pea-sized, hard, bitter fruit, sometimes known as turkey berry (Solanum torvum)? (It's not actually an eggplant.)

Does the curry contain coconut milk?

Is the sauce thick or watery?

Is it extremely spicy, or mild?

Are you sure you mean "brown" ? 

All I can find are Green Curry recipes (Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua - แกงเขียวหวานไทยที่มีเนื้อวัว).

The only mention of "brown" is "brown the meat" or "brown rice".

Red and Panang are quite similar as are Massaman and Yellow curries (as far as my taste buds are concerned) but I usually put enough chilies in them that I couldn't taste any difference anyways.
I love my Green Curry dishes. Green Bell Peppers, Green beans, peas, Green Chilies. Sometimes with chicken, sometimes with beef.

Here is a Thai Curry slow cooker recipe where the final product looks more brown than green, even though it's a Green Curry recipe.
https://sortedfood.com/recipe/4492

I don't use those little round "eggplant" veggies or those little pea sized ones either. I'll substitute other veggies (onions, bell peppers) instead. I also like to use red veggies for red curries (red bell peppers, banana peppers, red chilies) and for yellow curries I often use yellow bell peppers, onions and potatoes.
(I generally make my curries thicker as well so they are almost "stews" instead of "curries".)

A Green Curry I made awhile ago:
101785828_850772102122572_4122273563589060752_n.thumb.jpg.db72285d941293835ae62b8a3100641e.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Are you sure you mean "brown" ? 

All I can find are Green Curry recipes (Gaeng Kiaw Wan Neua - แกงเขียวหวานไทยที่มีเนื้อวัว).

The only mention of "brown" is "brown the meat" or "brown rice".

Red and Panang are quite similar as are Massaman and Yellow curries (as far as my taste buds are concerned) but I usually put enough chilies in them that I couldn't taste any difference anyways.
I love my Green Curry dishes. Green Bell Peppers, Green beans, peas, Green Chilies. Sometimes with chicken, sometimes with beef.

Here is a Thai Curry slow cooker recipe where the final product looks more brown than green, even though it's a Green Curry recipe.
https://sortedfood.com/recipe/4492

I don't use those little round "eggplant" veggies or those little pea sized ones either. I'll substitute other veggies (onions, bell peppers) instead. I also like to use red veggies for red curries (red bell peppers, banana peppers, red chilies) and for yellow curries I often use yellow bell peppers, onions and potatoes.
(I generally make my curries thicker as well so they are almost "stews" instead of "curries".)

A Green Curry I made awhile ago:
101785828_850772102122572_4122273563589060752_n.thumb.jpg.db72285d941293835ae62b8a3100641e.jpg

Needs more chilli  !

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

Needs more chilli  !

I usually chop them up much smaller. Once I diced them, then pounded them in the mortar (like you are making som tam) and then put that in the chili. Almost died ! But that was a few years ago. Now I pluck red chilies off the plant and eat them raw (though I'm not a fan of the raw taste of them).

I usually make enough for 4 meals so I'll fill a couple tupperware containers and stick them in the freezer. I find that when I thaw and microwave them, they seem even hotter than when I first cook them. Not sure if the microwaving releases more of the "heat" from the chilies or if it's just me not remembering how hot it was when I first cooked it.

(The curry in the picture had 3 different colours of bell peppers as I'd bought one of those packs that had a small green, red and yellow pepper in it and one by itself wasn't enough so I used all 3.)

I also use lots of coconut milk, which doesn't help with the waistline. Lean meat, fresh veggies and lots of chilies - no problem. Adding the coconut milk - instant weight gain ! ????

• Like 1

I am in the north of Thailand in Lamphun province and I know that the OP does mean "Brown" curry as I like it too.  I think that what the OP "meyori" is talking about is the northern Thai Burmese curry called Kaeng Hunglay or Kaeng Hung Leh.  It's flavoured with garam masala, can have the small eggplants and hasn't got any coconut milk in it.

Like most Thai food, the recipe does vary quite a bit depending on where the cook learned how to make it.  Recipes are available online once you know what to search for, so ask Mr Google.  I find that Thais just don't mention quite a few foods that we would actually like because they think we wouldn't like them.  They can also be foods that are not served in a restaurant because either they are seen as too 'common' or low class or their grandmother's special recipe is much preferred.

I really like something called nam tik ong muu which is a kind of spicy pork mince that I've never seen on a restaurant menu.  That could be because the words are what I call 'Lanna speak' for the food and not central Thai words.  For instance, Yee sip baht = ฿20 in central Thai but not up here, it's Sao baht.  When I go to Tak province it becomes Yip baht.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your reply/comments. YES. I know Google and did search before asking this question on this forum. Because I could not find, I asked.

It is dark brown and I think it's cooked with coconut milk. I only find this beef curry at market and already made food places. I am a Japanese and FOR SURE. It's not a Japanese curry. Small eggplant meant to be pea size / bitter one ( not that I like). It's not as thick as massaman. I would say as same thickness as green curry and it can be spicy, but not extremely spicy.

If I want to make a "quick" red curry, I get a packet of pre-made curry by either Lobo or Kanokwan brand. Then brown 1-inch chunks of beef in a bit of canola (not palm) oil, add curry paste until the meat is covered, and about 240 ml of coconut milk (lo-fat versions of the latter are also available). while this is simmering, I cut "Japanese" eggplant (the long, purple ones) into 1-inch slices and sprinkle with table salt, to get the bitterness of the eggplant out. Then add about 240 ml of water to the pot. Sponge off the salt from the eggplant and add that. you can add additional chili and naam pla to taste. I'm a farang and don't have a problem buying pre-prep'ed curry pastes; they've generally been reliable and I find I can customize them to taste.

I think you mean a dish called Hung Lay. I've only had it once. It was mentioned in a thread on names of Thai dishes you can commonly order. Title of the thread was "Thai Dishes to Order," first post June 12, 2014,

It's not obvious from the name what it is, but I can tell you it's large brown chunks of what I presume is beef, and obviously stewed. I haven't asked for it since, but now that you've reminded me maybe I will.  Sorry, I don't know where you can find the recipe, but knowing the name should help.

Edited by Acharn

I too love the little eggplant green thingys.  Can't help you with this particular 'brown' curry beef dish as my wife churns out so many different variations that I don't even bother asking.  Good beef is a must and chillis in ample supply and I do like coconut milk based curries but not essential.   

11 minutes ago, meyori said:

I hope I can find Capsicum Curry.

Zero chance.  No such thing.  It's a bad (Google?) translation.

The previous poster suggested "Southern curry paste" as a better translation, but that's incredibly vague.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, meyori said:

Thank you for all your reply/comments. YES. I know Google and did search before asking this question on this forum. Because I could not find, I asked.

It is dark brown and I think it's cooked with coconut milk. I only find this beef curry at market and already made food places. I am a Japanese and FOR SURE. It's not a Japanese curry. Small eggplant meant to be pea size / bitter one ( not that I like). It's not as thick as massaman. I would say as same thickness as green curry and it can be spicy, but not extremely spicy.

It sounds like an Indian curry to me they are dark brown.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, meyori said:

It is for sure gaeng kia waan nua. It is made with green curry and it is made with the pea shaped eggplant and the bigger green white eggplant and important Holy basil, a little palm sugar and coconut milk.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:29 AM, torturedsole said:

I too love the little eggplant green thingys.  Can't help you with this particular 'brown' curry beef dish as my wife churns out so many different variations that I don't even bother asking.  Good beef is a must and chillis in ample supply and I do like coconut milk based curries but not essential.   

My wife is from Isaan and makes various soups with the local beef. And it's delicious. When we went to the US she could get all the ingredients but it didn't taste nearly as good because the quality of the beef was too high. It just didn't work.