Storks displacing egrets?

LawrenceN

Sorry if this belongs in another forum. I didn't see one for bird-watching.

Anyway, I'm a casual birder. I'm a frequent cyclist. I have noticed many more open-billed storks in the last year or two, and a lot fewer egrets. Is this a well-documented phenomenon? Do you more serious birdwatchers know about this? I still see a few egrets out there on my morning bike rides, but not in every field like there were before the storks moved in in big numbers a couple of years ago. 

Well-informed comments welcome. 

30 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Weaver bird?

Yes, that's it, thanks.

I've never seen them before until this year. These are near a friend's house in the Lamphun area. Been visiting him for years and this is the first year they have built their nests in this tree or anywhere close by (that I'm aware of).

I'm the OP. Yes, we all know there are more storks. I said so in the OP. The question is, "Are storks displacing egrets?" I was hoping to hear from a KNOWLEDGEABLE, serious birdwatcher, maybe a full-fledged (pun intended) ornithologist. No one even mentioned seeing fewer egrets, so that maybe we could see a trend or identify a causation. 

A few years back, on a morning bike ride, I stopped to ask a farmer if he had noticed fewer storks. It was a year in which storks were scarce. He said yes, farmers were scaring them off because storks stomp the seedling rice plants. So, you see, I'm wondering whether this is a known natural cycle, or if Thai farmers have been educated about the benefits of storks. Maybe storks attack egrets' nests and eat their eggs. See, I can speculate and theorize with the best of you, but as I said in the OP, I would appreciate knowledgeable answers or observed behavior. 

This post is not about weaver birds. Start your own post if you want to post photos of diverse species and their nesting habits. Apologies for getting so cranky. Apparently, TV is the place to go for information you already know, or never asked.

Off to google, ya w***kers. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I'm the OP. Yes, we all know there are more storks. I said so in the OP. The question is, "Are storks displacing egrets?" I was hoping to hear from a KNOWLEDGEABLE, serious birdwatcher, maybe a full-fledged (pun intended) ornithologist. No one even mentioned seeing fewer egrets, so that maybe we could see a trend or identify a causation. 

A few years back, on a morning bike ride, I stopped to ask a farmer if he had noticed fewer storks. It was a year in which storks were scarce. He said yes, farmers were scaring them off because storks stomp the seedling rice plants. So, you see, I'm wondering whether this is a known natural cycle, or if Thai farmers have been educated about the benefits of storks. Maybe storks attack egrets' nests and eat their eggs. See, I can speculate and theorize with the best of you, but as I said in the OP, I would appreciate knowledgeable answers or observed behavior. 

This post is not about weaver birds. Start your own post if you want to post photos of diverse species and their nesting habits. Apologies for getting so cranky. Apparently, TV is the place to go for information you already know, or never asked.

Off to google, ya w***kers. 

My opinion is there are the same amount of egrets still out and about but the storks have recently just come in with bigger numbers making the population of egrets look tiny. Your question is a good observation, as I will not see egrets and storks hanging about in the same field. Not conducive for one another is what I gather.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My opinion is there are the same amount of egrets still out and about but the storks have recently just come in with bigger numbers making the population of egrets look tiny. Your question is a good observation, as I will not see egrets and storks hanging about in the same field. Not conducive for one another is what I gather.

Thanks for that. Storks are bigger, so they can push the egrets out as they compete for the same habitat. 

• Like 1

I notice a large increase in the number of rice fields in my area. It may be farmers bringing previously fallow area back ino use, but, in any case ir results in an increase in food for storks. Between Hang and Sanpatong there has been a large increae in the number of storks.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped this morning to talk to a farmer about this. He said that the storks are "good eaters" (กินเก่ง), meaning they get to the snails and fish in the rice fields faster, more aggressively. He also said that most farmers are using pesticides that kill fish, the egrets' preferred food. The double whammy of competing with storks and pesticides killing fish is taking its toll on the egrets, at least according to this one young farmer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Majestic creatures. We've several ponds that, when near empty, attracted at least one huge male stork (assume male, 'cause of a few occasions he was accompanied with a smaller version...). The ponds are back full now, and I haven't recently seen the stork. But I can still hear his "afterburners of displaced air" as he takes flight -- in response to my Lab's territorial response to the intrusion on his pond.

Anyway, I enjoy the wildlife, what there is of it, out here in the sticks on Thailand. Particularly the ornery myna birds, when their oversized young squawk for a bug from mom or dad. Enjoyed this myna bird charade when I lived on Hawaii.

Sorry for thread creep.

• Like 1

op...

The Asian open bill storks are the one species of stork in Thailand that is increasing significantly in population.

They benefitted greatly because of the introduced African apple snail which was shipped to farm for humans to eat. They escaped and are now a serious pest for rice farmers. Snails are this storks main food.

They are not displacing any other bird...even the egrets. 

This is because egrets and openbill storks consume totally different foods. The storms eat snails. The egrets eat insects, amphibians and small fish. 

Egrets here have a stable population. The storks have an increasing population.

The younger generations of storks are more habituated to human presence and so are less likely to fly off as generally they are not hunted for food (supposed to taste really bad), or otherwise persecuted as they are a benefit for peat control for farmers. 

Their occasional trampling of young rice plants is off offset by the snail control they provide. 

Hope that answers your questions. 

I am a zoologist...so hope that is knowledgeable enough for you ????

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

op...

The Asian open bill storks are the one species of stork in Thailand that is increasing significantly in population.

They benefitted greatly because of the introduced African apple snail which was shipped to farm for humans to eat. They escaped and are now a serious pest for rice farmers. Snails are this storks main food.

They are not displacing any other bird...even the egrets. 

This is because egrets and openbill storks consume totally different foods. The storms eat snails. The egrets eat insects, amphibians and small fish. 

Egrets here have a stable population. The storks have an increasing population.

The younger generations of storks are more habituated to human presence and so are less likely to fly off as generally they are not hunted for food (supposed to taste really bad), or otherwise persecuted as they are a benefit for peat control for farmers. 

Their occasional trampling of young rice plants is off offset by the snail control they provide. 

Hope that answers your questions. 

I am a zoologist...so hope that is knowledgeable enough for you ????

Perfect! Thanks!