Divers to use net to salvage Raja ferry and garbage trucks

webfact

Divers to use net to salvage Raja ferry and garbage trucks

By THE NATION

800_db48c41e58a53c4.jpg?v=1598460214

The stricken Raja 4 ferry boat will be raised from the seabed by two cranes, according to the salvage plan revealed today by its operator.

The ferry capsized and sank two miles off Koh Samui on the night of August 1, after its cargo of three garbage trucks reportedly shifted. The accident killed five of the 16 people onboard and left garbage strewn across the beaches of nearby islands.

Raja Ferry Port managing director, Apichart Chayopas, said his company has hired MS Service to conduct the salvage operation and would now send the plan to the Surat Thani administration and relevant authorities. The salvaging firm has conducted an underwater survey of the wreck and its cargo of trucks, he added.

MS Service president Wirot Kulwirottama said they planned to salvage the boat by using two cranes. Divers will also cover the boat with a net in order to prevent garbage spilling from the trucks when it is lifted to the surface.

The operation will take at least a month, depending on weather, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393575

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-27

Does anyone know the depth of the water in that area . Whenever I have used these ferries which is often for some reason they never seem to distribute the weight of the vehicles even if the vessel is half empty they cram us all up at the front so much so that you can barely open the drivers door to get out of the vehicle in other words your packed in like sardines but for the remaining deck you could have a football match .i would of thought even distribution of a car ferry is very important . I will be travelling on one in the next two weeks it will be interesting to see if they have made any changes since this terrible incident where people lost there lives . 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, jaiyen said:

I am looking forward to seeing how this salvage goes. If Thai company is running it, then expect  the worst ! They should at least bring in some experts to tell them how to do it properly.

Pointless Thai Bashing racist nonsense.  

MS Service has been around for nearly 40 years and are involved in salvage work, port maintenance, oil and gas terminal construction, over-sized cargo transport, heavy lifting at sea, all in Thailand and internationally.  I am pretty sure they can be considered experts.   What should we consider you (apart from a member of the master race)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1