New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

"The Thai government has indicated to us that the above procedures are already in place" - Has anyone got one of these free "official extension stamps" yet? Or is this new news.

And it remains to be seen is whether people who used the COVID extension can get this too or not. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The are no free extensions and do not see anything in the info posted about one.

The only thing that is free is a permit to stay until September 26 under the ministerial notice that has been extended to that day.

That info from the embassy is very confusing and appears to not to be correct,

"You must go to any immigration office before September 11 and get a stamp in your passport that officially extend your Visa until the September 26 deadline. The stamp can be obtained at no cost. You must have this stamp, as the general Visa amnesty announcement will not replace this requirement".

Edited by greggraham

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

My reading is there is a new policy until Septermber 11 to provide access to obtaining official extension status for those currently on amnesty exemption which in turn will then allow an official extension of stay to be applied for.  For those not going that route but needing to stay past September 26 immigration will consider providing 30 extensions with embassy letter.

That appears to be the standard requirement of 15 days remaining on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

Immigration has no rule requiring that stamp that I am aware of for anything done at immigration.

• Like 2

I believe they have determined amnesty is not legal stay status so status must be changed to allow using previous entry for extension.  Just as they seem to now have to put a stamp in passports for 90 day non reporting (even with amnesty we are considered late).  So this stamp would then allow normal extensions of stay to be obtained.

Yes it is a guess but seems to be new news.  ????

Edit:  How was this OP information obtained?  I have not received any such email.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, greggraham said:

click here - hopefully that works. That part probably deserves its own topic too, a lot of people thought it was impossible that they would write those letters again. 

I got a letter from the Australian embassy but it didn't make any difference and was still refused to even be able to apply for an extension.

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I got a letter from the Australian embassy but it didn't make any difference and was still refused to even be able to apply for an extension.

When did you get this letter ? Last i heard they were not giving them out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

When did you get this letter ? Last i heard they were not giving them out.

I got it on the 31/07/2020.The weren't giving them out but gave me one because of extenuating circumstances.It was exactly the same as the first letter.It still didn't help as I've used my 60 extension and my office says they can only give one extension and to wait until 26th Sept to see what happens.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

My reading is there is a new policy until Septermber 11 to provide access to obtaining official extension status for those currently on amnesty exemption which in turn will then allow an official extension of stay to be applied for.  For those not going that route but needing to stay past September 26 immigration will consider providing 30 extensions with embassy letter.

So they will provide letters for 30 day extensions now. great!

Edited by vermin on arrival

1 minute ago, vermin on arrival said:

So they will provide letters for 39 day extensions now. great!

Assume 39 is a typo but did not say they would provide any extension - only that they would consider it.  Expect there must be a reason for such requests that immigration agrees with.

But as no source for this notice has been provided it appears may not be as firm as even that and may still be under review as US Embassy has still not sent out any such notice that I have seen or see listed on their website.

I would be very careful with this.  It looks like a fake announcement to me.  The wording does not sound anything like a typical US embassy announcement.  It is barely coherent and probably not even written by a native english speaker.  

I would not put any personal info into that link provided.  The whole thing is probably a scam to collect personal info.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I would be very careful with this.  It looks like a fake announcement to me.  The wording does not sound anything like a typical US embassy announcement.  It is barely coherent and probably not even written by a native english speaker.  

I would not put any personal info into that link provided.  The whole thing is probably a scam to collect personal info.

I don't know I got an e-mail response that look clearly like an e-mail from the US Embassy in BKK

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

At what immigration office was this?

4 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

[email protected]

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Assume 39 is a typo but did not say they would provide any extension - only that they would consider it.  Expect there must be a reason for such requests that immigration agrees with.

But as no source for this notice has been provided it appears may not be as firm as even that and may still be under review as US Embassy has still not sent out any such notice that I have seen or see listed on their website.

Yes typo and edited but one member just confirmed that he has received the letter from the embassy. issuing it is a formality I believe

• Like 1