New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The fact is at least some of us on Embassy mailing list have not received it and the Embassy has just posted this on web site - below is what has been posed on website within the last hour:

Frequently Asked Questions

Home | News & Events | Frequently Asked Questions

Okay well that links to the exact same form I posted from the email ???? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Okay well that links to the exact same form I posted from the email ???? 

Yes indeed and appears the 30 day option is valid if for good reasons.  But did not see any mention of the other information so suspect that is not for release yet? 

Edited by lopburi3

2 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I'm surprised visa agents havent penciled in a price for a 30 day extension with/without Embassy letter yet.

Time-value of money. The other long-stay visa options are worth much more money per hour worked compared with a simple extension application. That said, the closer we get to 26-Sep, we may start to see some offers for that service.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I'm surprised visa agents havent penciled in a price for a 30 day extension with/without Embassy letter yet.

From reports, visa agents can help you get a medical extension without seeing a medical doctor. By going that route, no embassy letter is required.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I hope it is that easy.  The fee doesn't concern me so much as the idea that I will somehow need to smooth-talk the officer into approving my application. ????

I will (for the most part) happily go (yet again) to Muangthong Thani to humbly request a real stamp and then an extension. I feel like I burned my first extension when I went on March 16 (on Koh Samui) to extend to April 27. I first arrived in Thailand on Feb 28; I was on a trip around the world that has turned into my basically residing in Bangkok. I went today and got turned back because I didn't have a reservation. Shrug. Have reservation now, going back tomorrow. With my only other solid option being Thai Elite visa (five year option, 500K baht), I'll just eat these many round trips from Sukhumvit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I got it on the 31/07/2020.The weren't giving them out but gave me one because of extenuating circumstances.It was exactly the same as the first letter.It still didn't help as I've used my 60 extension and my office says they can only give one extension and to wait until 26th Sept to see what happens.

Wow okay i did not know that. That was originally my plan as well but i'm stuck trying to do the 60 day extension. I have requested the letter since i can't see any flights that are even possible before the 26th. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KayH said:

I will (for the most part) happily go (yet again) to Muangthong Thani to humbly request a real stamp and then an extension. I feel like I burned my first extension when I went on March 16 (on Koh Samui) to extend to April 27. I first arrived in Thailand on Feb 28; I was on a trip around the world that has turned into my basically residing in Bangkok. I went today and got turned back because I didn't have a reservation. Shrug. Have reservation now, going back tomorrow. With my only other solid option being Thai Elite visa (five year option, 500K baht), I'll just eat these many round trips from Sukhumvit.

Let us know how you get on. So you're going for the free "official extension stamp" to request changing to a long-term visa, no letter needed, right? 

44 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Wording of the email body and attachment seems to suggest that the Embassy is acknowledging its citizens' presence here, but will not be of use in any appeals or justification in getting your extension request approved. You are still at the discretion of Thai immigration, and the burden rests with you in proving your case to them on why you deserve 30 more days.

I would imagine some of the Agents will offer a "30 day extension with letter from US Embassy" very soon ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I would imagine some of the Agents will offer a "30 day extension with letter from US Embassy" very soon ???? 

God I hope not. They are already making a killing from the ED and Volunteer visas. They should leave these short-stay requests alone. ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

are non o's considered short term visas, seems I saw that in an official doc, as compared to an non imm O-A visa.  Say a non imm. m/e based upon thai wife.

Since they only allow a 90 day stay a non-o visa is considered a short stay visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

From reports, visa agents can help you get a medical extension without seeing a medical doctor. By going that route, no embassy letter is required.

Hi Caldera,

I do not doubt what you are saying (after all this is Thailand), but have to warn anyone going that route that such a 'special extension' is not a regular extension, and that it normally cannot be used as a spring-board to apply for a 1-year extension of stay, but these are exceptional times and with 11/26 september deadline approaching things might have changed...

See attached link >

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1177074-has-anyone-here-gotten-their-30-day-extension-beyond-26-sept/?do=findComment&comment=15750398

Edited by Peter Denis

1 hour ago, ndreamer said:

Wow okay i did not know that. That was originally my plan as well but i'm stuck trying to do the 60 day extension. I have requested the letter since i can't see any flights that are even possible before the 26th. 

I was originally refused a letter as I thought it was a simple matter of sending a request for one but after the refusal I tried again with a lot more info and photo's of passport showing used visas and extensions and used a few words like extremely stressful and distressing and hardship and extenuating circumstances and was successful.I will be going into immigration tomorrow to try the same thing there and see if I can get them to make some enquiries to Bangkok to explore all available options on extenuating circumstances.

• Like 2