New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Getting a visa might be the hard part.

image.jpeg.6c6fced85c604d65a12cc1727b1e4fc6.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've thought about swimming although I think the river is rising and if I tried now I'm bound to end up in Chong Mek where I get on well with Imm boss who spent several years in Warnambool in Oz loves to have a chat!Many times doing border runs I've simply exited the Thailand and re-entered without entering Laos,in Mukdahan I have to cross the road and Chong Mek just come in the other side of the same building which takes all of ten minutes and saves on the extra stamp and cost of the Lao visa.I know the river doesn't actually go to Chong Mek!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

From reports, visa agents can help you get a medical extension without seeing a medical doctor. By going that route, no embassy letter is requi

23,000 for a medical  extension from an agent.that was the price they gave me.volunter 3 month visas go between 20,000 to 34,000 the highest price was an agent in Phuket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Because of my determination to get an extension of stay in Thailand by legitimate means I smoked solidly for forty years and got myself a proper documented medical condition.

And they still wouldn't give me an extension.

Doh!

I am less interested in the issue of whether or not the U.S. Embassy is willing to issue letters supporting short-term visa extensions for folks...

And more interested in what Thai Immigration actually does once people start showing up with those letters asking for further short-term extensions of stay.  Thus far, there seem to be a number of denials reported here.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I am less interested in the issue of whether or not the U.S. Embassy is willing to issue letters supporting short-term visa extensions for folks...

And more interested in what Thai Immigration actually does once people start showing up with those letters asking for further short-term extensions of stay.  Thus far, there seem to be a number of denials reported here.

Up until today there seemed to be stiff resistance to any opening of the country to tourists but today that seems to have become a lot softer.  Suspect that may cycle to any tourists are better than none policy.  Time is getting short.

• Like 2

All this sounds great for short term visa holders. But what boat am I in? I have a non B and I've already done all my extensions. What will I need to do to extend further? I got the Non B in July 2019...now I can't leave the country to get a new one. 
Does anyone know if they will be offering extensions for Non Bs?

Thanks for any info. I really can't go back to the States. I don't wanna leave my (laos)family here and have to stay in the infected US of A.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SADWING said:

All this sounds great for short term visa holders. But what boat am I in? I have a non B and I've already done all my extensions. What will I need to do to extend further? I got the Non B in July 2019...now I can't leave the country to get a new one. 
Does anyone know if they will be offering extensions for Non Bs?

Thanks for any info. I really can't go back to the States. I don't wanna leave my (laos)family here and have to stay in the infected US of A.

A friend of mine in process volunteer visa 12 month 49k.

Get on your bike and use agent.

That's what they want and that's what you need. 

You waited untill end Aug.  Brilliant.

58 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where have you seen the denials for people asking for 30 day extensions on visa exempt, TV, etc? Getting the embassy letter is the first step.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

Just now, vermin on arrival said:

use the link here and you will get it. I used it and got a letter in 3 minutes.

Think you posted earlier that you will check with CW tomorrow.

Why not leave it till then.

My bet is with embassy letter (imaginary) you will have Zip chance for 30 day extension. 

There are 2 players in this. Your embassy and Thai imm. 

1 minute ago, Daithi85 said:

Definitely good news,step in the right direction.i doubt the us embassy just decided to hand these letters out  for the fun of it..no doubt there has been plenty of talk behind the scenes ????

Read your statement back to yourself.

If all good for USA then good for all. 

You want stay in Thailand bop along to embassy or still better obtain letter online and stay for another 30 day.

Is that the plan.

Then another subsequent letter and 30 day.

Is that the plan??

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Not true. Nothing in the letter suggests that the USA is trying to dictate policy. The letter essentially is an acknowledgement confirmation that a citizen of the USA desires to apply for extending their stay in the kingdom, and thanks to the immigration bureau for their consideration in the matter.

Correct and nothing else.

The letter doesn't certify that there are currently no flights available to the applicant or other obstructions that hinder them to return to their home country.

This was an issue previously because the last time Immigration expected the embassies to certify that the applicant can't go home. That's the reason why they stopped issuing these letters because they can't lie in the document and it's pretty pointless keeping the staff on their toes to issue useless letters.

If there was talk in the background that they now start accepting basic letters again then great. I wouldn't read too much into this though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Doesn't work for me as I'm not going anywhere on a plane,I'll go to Suvanakhet for a new visa or if they'll give me the yearly extension with money in the bank I would take that but I'm not going to Oz to get a bloody stamp it's just to expensive.I would also go to Suvanabhumi and exit at immigration then re-enter and get a visa on arrival without leaving the ground but that's probably a bit to easy to be allowed to simple and most of all to logical.

About the "Suvarnhaboum option "....you could end up as stranded on Air side ...as no arrival  flight ticket + TM6 card to show by enter  immigration .....????

9 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Definitely good news,step in the right direction.i doubt the us embassy just decided to hand these letters out  for the fun of it..no doubt there has been plenty of talk behind the scenes ????

Likely the USA embassy was getting bombarded by emails asking for letters. So they came up with this. I wouldnt count it as meaning anything on Thailand's side. Obv its a good thing for us Americans but I'm not sitting here expecting it to mean anything from Thailands end. I'd imagine Thailand hasnt even fully decided how they will handle the end of amnesty yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pontious said:

The OP  has not answered where this email came from.

Believe he said some US Embassy mailing list members received it and talked about on Facebook.  As it was not received by others on mailing list, including myself, seems to indicate was not intended for general release and information may not have been finalized.  What has been officially released is the second part of post option to obtain embassy letters again as that was posted on website (although no mailing yet).  

• Like 1