New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Did anyone here receive that email from the US embassy personally?   

I am on every US embassy mailing list that I know of, and I never received it.

I mean the original email that started this thread that contains this wording.  It’s is not on the US embassy website, and I never received it.  Where did this come from?

9EF6D2FD-A0D2-4BED-9F78-9A3163C678DA.jpeg.8509775f3bb50fe2be69f3c083000bdc.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pontious said:

IO will still want to see credible evidence why you cannot leave.

We know that.  More clarity will come when we start to see reports of people who were approved and/or denied with an embassy letter in hand and reasons that were acceptable and/or invalid for approval.

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Did anyone here receive that email from the US embassy personally?   

I am on every US embassy mailing list that I know of, and I never received it.

Same here. I get all the US Embassy emails and never got this.  And as has been said, it's not on the embassy website.

23 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Possibly true, but they didn't with the first amnesty extension letter. Just the letter, usual forms, and 1.900THB. 

But wasn’t the first one applicable if you had a valid visa and we’re extending or am I misunderstanding that?  

Most people who are on amnesty right now have burned through all possible exceptions of their visa has expired.  

Seems like a slightly different situation.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Almost all of us can use the having an 'outbreak situation' reason as not many places with less than Thailand.

I agree - it says embassy letter to confirm your reason. -Will they do that.? The US letter above did not say any reason. Just they have no objection.

Edited by pontious

19 minutes ago, pontious said:

I agree - it says embassy letter to confirm your reason. -Will they do that.? The US letter above did not say any reason. Just they have no objection.

The letter does not overtly express the reason for which an extension should be granted. BUT, it does say this: "We wish to refer to the unique global transportation restrictions caused by the pandemic outbreak of COVID-19, and its effects on international travel."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The letter does not overtly express the reason for which an extension should be granted. BUT, it does say this: "We wish to refer to the unique global transportation restrictions caused by the pandemic outbreak of COVID-19, and its effects on international travel."

I hope it works - anyone can say it is 'more covid' - nearly everywhere has more  than Thailand. I do not think they will accept that. They want a certificate regarding medical reasons or letter from your embassy saying you cannot travel because of xyz. Otherwise everyone will get an extension.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

Doesn't work for me as I'm not going anywhere on a plane,I'll go to Suvanakhet for a new visa or if they'll give me the yearly extension with money in the bank I would take that but I'm not going to Oz to get a bloody stamp it's just to expensive.I would also go to Suvanabhumi and exit at immigration then re-enter and get a visa on arrival without leaving the ground but that's probably a bit to easy to be allowed to simple and most of all to logical.

With all (un)due respect but you'll do what the authorities tell you to do. You're not the one making the rules here.

Alternatively the Immigration Detention Facility is also a very comfortable option to remain in Thailand if that's your wish and you don't want to go on a plane.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As mentioned above I was successful at submitting an application for a special 30 day extension with embassy letter.Special thanks to ubonjoe for his steadfast belief that it was or soon would be possible and also thanks to the rest of you for the support.As mentioned I believe they are ready to accept applications of this nature to help sort out people's visa issues prior to the 26th Sept deadline.I received a stamp giving me permission to stay until the 26th Sept at which time I'm advised I will receive my 30 extension and will allow me to apply for the 1 year permission to stay based on marriage.The extra 30 days will give my money in the bank the 2 months required to apply for the 1 year extension it will also give me a valid permission to stay to apply for that extension.I think this may have been on the cards all along but required time to set it all up.As critical as I may sound sometimes I was always hoping and believing something like this would become available.It was a pleasant visit today and I will give Thai Immigration a big thumbs up and yes Steven100 praise Khun Prayuth and his shonky mates for allowing my the possibility to stay with my wife and family (god that hurt),which is more than I can say for my "home country member" of Oz!

Well-played indeed!  Question: Did you need to explain to them all of that as your intentions, or did they simply give you the stamp and say, "We'll see you back here on the 26th!"  and sent you on your way?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I received a stamp giving me permission to stay until the 26th Sept at which time I'm advised I will receive my 30 extension

Is this the "application of stay is under consideration" stamp?

Usually the extension starts on the same day at which you got this stamp, under normal circumstances that would mean on 26th you would get permission to stay until 26th September.

Did you clarify that your extension will start on 27th September and not on the day at which you applied?

14 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

With all (un)due respect but you'll do what the authorities tell you to do. You're not the one making the rules here.

Alternatively the Immigration Detention Facility is also a very comfortable option to remain in Thailand if that's your wish and you don't want to go on a plane.

With all due respect I make my own rules as does everybody else on this planet including those that form groups and organisations and Governments and some will use force to try and make people comply with their own made up rules.One of my rules is to comply with the rules of others if I agree that they are what I deem fair.I would have been quite prepared to relax in a detention facility if I was denied the ability to stay with my wife.Fortunately Thailand is gracious enough to allow me a legal option to do just that for which I'm very grateful.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, meherbaba said:

So with this stamp will it be possible to change from visa exemption to volunteer visa or teacher visa, for example?

It seems that it was not possible until now, without leaving the country (correct me if I am wrong)

It seems like it might be possible now.I think an embassy letter definitely would also help.I do believe they are now willing to try and help to legitimise those that are eligible.

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is this the "application of stay is under consideration" stamp?

Usually the extension starts on the same day at which you got this stamp, under normal circumstances that would mean on 26th you would get permission to stay until 26th September.

Did you clarify that your extension will start on 27th September and not on the day at which you applied?

Yes she said as much and having just checked that's what the stamp says she actually put a different stamp first which she voided but because she's so pretty and nice and is processing my application Ill forgive her this time and probably the next,I believe it will be sent off to be processed as indicated in the info graphic that was posted somewhere.I did clarify that the 30 day extension will begin on the 27th of September.

• Like 1