Phuket announces ‘5T’ model for receiving tourists, includes mandatory US$100k health insurance

webfact

17 minutes ago, american2 said:

My question is...  Since Covid Insurance is required as an additional entrance item...Why is the Insurance not offered by Thailand as part of the Visa cost or Landing fee.  This idea the Government is pushing makes no sense.  How many Families are going to want to go through this Expensive process.  Does the country  (Thailand) plan on just marketing this to Sex Tourists.  Are there private in room  nurses offered also

They muted ages ago about adding an insurance charge at the airport and should think about it again!! That way they benefit from the premiums as well!!. Ooohhh requires a thought process!! 5555????????????????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bodga said:
16 hours ago, mybeat said:

Wasn't this model named 5R like a week ago and now it's 5T?

lucky the thai alphabet has 46? characters, they have a long  way to go yet

46 consonants - of which two are erroneously listed as 'not used' but which in reality can be.

All down to the inventor of the Thai typewriter Edwin McFarland/Hunter who is responsible for deliberately not including the two on the keyboard.

1 hour ago, olfu said:

its different for old farts--

covid insurance 350$ a month

business class from US 3000$

specialty hotel at least 100$ a night

and if government tells me where to stay I will stay home.

Well, I’m 62 and the Covid insurance was $350 a year. 

I flew CX from LAX premium economy for ~$1,600. Coach was ~$1,000 and business would have been over $4,000 one way.

Stay home

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Vice Governor Phichet explained that tourists wanting to come to Phuket must be approved by a Royal Thai Embassy and have evidence of COVID-19 test proving they are COVID-free within 72 hours before departing. Alternatively, they must present a ‘Fit to Fly’ or other documents proving they are free of infection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Vice Governor Phichet explained that tourists wanting to come to Phuket must be approved by a Royal Thai Embassy and have evidence of COVID-19 test proving they are COVID-free within 72 hours before departing. Alternatively, they must present a ‘Fit to Fly’ or other documents proving they are free of infection.

How could any document other than a Covid test show that someone is free from infection? There seems to be a continuing misunderstanding among Thai officials that a "Fit to Fly" certificate means anything other than that you don't look like you're going to collapse or drop dead on the plane.

• Like 2

They were at one point talking about up to 2 million tourists arriving on this basis. Have they actually done the maths?

A hotel room would be occupied by six people/couples in the three months at 14 days a go. That's, say 12 people.

Let's assume 200 rooms in a hotel: 2400 people. How many hotels in the scheme? Well, two or three at the moment in Phuket, though in view of the medical issues I wouldn't have though more than fifty. At full occupancy that would be 120,000 people.

That will be more than enough anyway, as I agree with the majority on here that the criteria will put most people off coming. The trip to the Thai Embassy for approval will get rid of the majority of potential traveller for a start.

With those numbers, is it actually worth bothering? I suppose it depends who the ASQ hotel owners are!

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I tried but it just seemed to keep expanding as my thoughts hit my fingers on the keyboard and the post was written.

may the light of truth hit your fingers daily ????

• Thanks 1

Even when including the 5T plan into consideration,
Unless Captive Markets,
I do not know of a single Sales Tactical Plan that was successful
whilst disregarding the needs of the End Consumer.

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mybeat said:

Wasn't this model named 5R like a week ago and now it's 5T?

They know next to nothing of the 3Rs, so 5 is well off the scale. But give them credit, they moved down the alphabet to T and thought, that`ll fool them.

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So, basically anyone wishing to vacation in Thailand must be first be approved by a Royal Thai Embassy and have evidence of COVID-19 test proving they are COVID-free within 72 hours before departing. Alternatively, they must present a ‘Fit to Fly’ or other documents proving they are free of infection. Additionally the tourists must have health insurance coverage of US $100,000 in case they need to have medical treatment for whatever reason.

With that being said they must also acknowledge that after arriving, they will remain at an ASQ hotel venue for 14 days, during which they will be tested two times during their stay at the hotel. The first test to be conducted sometime between the 3rd and 5th day of there lovely vacation, with the second test conducted between the 11th and 13th day of there by now wonderfully enjoyed quarantine, after which they can then be free to enjoy whatever remaining time they may have.

However, if they test positive then there time now is spent at a glorious beach front hospital where there 100K US policy will pay for there remaining vacation time in a luxuriosly appointed hospital suite.

No flickking way will anyone, except those expats who have family come and subject themselves to an out of pocket cost nearing the 300,00 baht range, before they can even began to enjoy there time here.  Plus jumping through the hoops just to get approved.  God forbid you take time off from work to go to through the initial testing but then to be denied or accepted at the discretion of the Royal Thai Embassy in your home country is Ludicrous.

Additionally, what airlines are they going to be allowed to travel on or just specific chartered flights which will only fly on certain timeframes guaranteed by the Thai Government.  I personally do not know anyone who has all the free time in the world just to sit on there <deleted> and wait for a vacation that may or may not ever come.  Additionally, whose job will allow them to just take off whenever.

This appears to be aimed at those with unlimited funds and High Flyers who will just unfortunately go elsewhere to avoid the three ring Thai circus that this is becoming.

Ok Flame and Rant over.

There is one other added difficulty, finding the insurance company who will supply the Covid19 cover !! Very seriously few and far between.

• Like 2