Phuket announces ‘5T’ model for receiving tourists, includes mandatory US$100k health insurance

webfact

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Before opening up for foreign tourists, could someone please tell me, exactly what Thailand has done, in order to be prepared to handle a potentiel large increase in local and foreign Covid 19 patients??

not needed - TVForum armchair epidemiologists have recently declared Covid 99.9% survivable :cheesy:

• Haha 1

It's hogwash. Buying time and trying to look like appeasement with the tourism industry. They're not interested in anyone coming in until they have a vaccine. I'm all for that but just come out  and and say it.

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

How could any document other than a Covid test show that someone is free from infection? There seems to be a continuing misunderstanding among Thai officials that a "Fit to Fly" certificate means anything other than that you don't look like you're going to collapse or drop dead on the plane.

Seems to be quite a clusterf.........k

• Like 2

Thailand, I will give you a hint. This is where tourists will go, just as one example among others:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/canary-islands-coronavirus-insurance

Thais always say "Farang don't understan' Thailand". But it's more the other way around: 

"Thais don't understand Farangland"

We are free to choose where we go. Som nam na!

• Like 2

AS I  said   last  post  The  Thai  Gov  no  longer  present a  land of  smiles 

Now  is  a land of dreamers  ....lol

Good  Luck  Thailand 

Do you really think  tourist  think so highly  of your  country  now  with  what you have done to it in the last  3  years  that   millions  will  

be willing to  go  thru  all this   bull <deleted>   you are  asking  for  

Wait  till  October  then  cry 

I will be amazed  if you get 1 million  tourists in the next  year 

• Like 1

I can only speak for me personally, but I would have no interest going on holiday to a country where I was confned to a hotel for 14 days. Just a waste of a holiday IMO. Also considering most working people have between 2 weeks and 1 month anual leave, I would be surprised it they would be interested in this deal also.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lensta said:

I can only speak for me personally, but I would have no interest going on holiday to a country where I was confned to a hotel for 14 days. Just a waste of a holiday IMO. Also considering most working people have between 2 weeks and 1 month anual leave, I would be surprised it they would be interested in this deal also.

I did several holidays in a Caribbean resort where I was confined to an hotel eating like a pig from morning to night. But here in Thailand "all-inclusive" resorts are not that great (actually there are really few of them) and if I had to choose an holiday like that I would not come to Thailand for sure...many other better and cheaper options if one really needs an holiday like that..

2 hours ago, vacajan said:

I have been staying here for 6 years and from now on I can no longer go to my home country because I cannot enter Thailand afterwards. After all, it is impossible to take out insurance after your 75th birthday. I made attempts to buy health insurance from my arrival here six years ago. The exclusions were such that insurance became ridiculous. The expat insurance with AXA, which I was able to take out, was canceled this year.
Someone a solution? I have a wife, a home and a family here that I take care of.

Vertaald uit het Nederlands

Have you already asked at OOM?

Not sure about their policy regarding aged 75 and up but maybe worth asking if not already done.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In the end it will me renamed '0T' which stands for Zero Tourists.

Forget 'applying at a Thai embassy', no tourist will do that.

Forget '$100k' mandatory COVID insurance, no tourist will be interested in buying that.

If you want any tourists to return to Thailand, stop trying to extort them.

If you feel any extra COVID precautions are required, provide them all free of charge at the airport on arrival.

Free COVID testing on arrival, OK

Free COVID insurance on arrival, OK

Free VISA waiver on arrival, OK

14 days quarantine at resort, OK ....... but make all food/drink/alcohol inclusive in the holiday price (no extortion).

Note to the Thai government.

COVID isn't an excuse for additional extortion from tourists, everyone knows what you're like, the world knows your reputation. If you really want tourists to return, stop the extortion. This isn't a chance for your pals in the insurance and health care business to make a bit of extra cash.

Great post, BritManToo!

But those who decide indeed don't want tourists back. It's just a distraction tactic to make gullible Thais believe that they care about the tourism industry and about them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

There is one other added difficulty, finding the insurance company who will supply the Covid19 cover !! Very seriously few and far between.

On the canary islands, the regional government found one. And it's free for tourists:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/spains-canary-islands-to-provide-travel-insurance-for-tourists-in-case-of-covid-19/

Great move. But Thais don't understan' Farangs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a3tsw said:

and that's not all folks!

according to another poster on here who went through all these procedures recently ... no alcohol served for the duration of his quarantine at the ASQ .. sounds like the vacation from Hell!

They are sadists. Simply as that.

2 hours ago, hansgruber said:

I tried getting the Covid insurance here in Thailand from the SCB bank. They refuse foreigners outright. Only Thais may purchase the insurance. 1800 baht for 1m baht coverage. 

Welcome to Thailand, the hub of xenophobia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

???  You expect the thai tax payers to foot the bill for tourists to enter thailand?

Free covid tests
Free insurance

Free visas

Not allow hotels to make any profit on F & B?
what country in the world would agree with this?
what planet do you live on?

No! This post was just to say why foreigner will go somewhere else instead. This is one example:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/spains-canary-islands-to-provide-travel-insurance-for-tourists-in-case-of-covid-19/

And yes, the canary islands pay this for their guests. They are welcoming them, and they see this as an investment in their tourism industry and their own future. There are better and fairer ways to get the toursts money than scamming them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shuya said:

Other countries offer free covid treatment to tourists in case they fall ill. Guess were they will go for holiday.   

And, as we hear, as Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, etc., are all pretty well closed down: no bars/shops/restaurants open -- and many hotels closed down -- I wonder what would entice tourists to holiday in these resorts?

Perhaps the owners of the bars and restaurants will open up again ''in anticipation'' of the ''hoped for'' hordes???

• Like 1