Phuket announces ‘5T’ model for receiving tourists, includes mandatory US$100k health insurance

webfact

On 8/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, Brunolem said:

I can see a million arrivals in October, two million in November and three in December... at least... 

Seriously, this is an opportunity that is going to be used by two groups of foreigners, and only them:

- those who have been waiting to come back to Thailand, where they usually reside

- retirees and other non working people with time and money on their hands, looking to escape from the winter and a possible second wave of the virus in their own countries

Altogether, we are talking about a few thousands people. 

No one with half a brain will pay for a 14 days quarantine + 7 days more in the same place, and then start an eventuel holiday somewhere else.

Personally i'm giving Thailand a wide berth until it has a change of "management"......... Looks like one's due at any moment then all they have to do then is reverse the last six years madness and policies and Thailand will be just fine again.........    Give us a bell when the shooting stops .......... All for the good of the people of course......  

This Phuket scheme will fail. No true short-term tourist would want to buy US 100,000 insurance just to come to Thailand and be quarantined on an island for 14 days.

Edited by EricTh

This makes sense as a starting point...  Few will take advantage of this except for those like me who want to return to loved ones and homes there.  They will probably find that the $100,000 insurance is too much coverage and will reduce it as they figure out how much it really costs to treat the worst covid cases.

9 minutes ago, Visarghhhh said:

This makes sense as a starting point...  Few will take advantage of this except for those like me who want to return to loved ones and homes there.  They will probably find that the $100,000 insurance is too much coverage and will reduce it as they figure out how much it really costs to treat the worst covid cases.

They'll do the same as Cambodia just did, drop the requirements once they understand that no one's coming....... Just wait, they'll be begging shortly........ 

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

This Phuket scheme will fail. No true short-term tourist would want to buy US 100,000 insurance just to come to Thailand and be quarantined on an island for 14 days.

I agree that this scheme is a non-starter, but not because of the insurance requirement. You're assuming that every traveler would need to buy a special policy, which isn't the case. Many people (myself included) have pre-existing medical insurance that already meets these requirements.

• Like 1

Rich people don't holiday here, the majority are average wage earner that saves up for the year to maybe spend 1 - 2 weeks in Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mia, Bangkok etc, then home. I cant see these people going through all that BS and 2 week quarantine when they only have two weeks holiday from work. Dream on Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:09 AM, jaiyen said:

There is still a huge problem with a missing link. There are no planes flying now and probably not for another year. Bet they didn't think about that !

Sick and tired of hearing this. If you think no planes are flying - check out the airport's live arrivals and departures website. For more accurate information, check out one of the website's that provide live information for every plane in the air, in the world.  I'd point you to one of them but last time I mentioned the name, my post was deleted.

My wife flew out of Thailand last week on a Finnair flight - how do you think that aircraft arrived in Thailand, shipped by sea?

There are planes flying in every day - the problem is that those that are not repatriation flights are not allowed to let any passengers disembark. Therefore they are mostly flying empty to pick up passengers in Bangkok - a complete waste of fuel and other resources.  Many could quite easily be used by people who have obtained a COE from their local Thai Embassy, booked their ASQ hotel and jumped through the other hoops. Instead they are being charged more than £2800 (London to Bangkok) for one way business class flights! - probably in the hope of recovering a tiny amount of Thai Airways losses.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1