How long is COVID insurance required for?

georgey

I'm hoping to return to TH on one of next month's repatriation flights from LHR-BKK (I understand there will be 3), & would be grateful if someone can tell me for how long I'm required to be covered for insurance against the virus. I'm married to a Thai & my extension expires in November. I have no finite length of stay in mind, having already lived in the country for more than 10 years, & obviously don't have a return ticket to anywhere. I'd like to keep the coverage as short as possible, but of course don't want to risk being denied the COE. I'm guessing the right time period for the cover is going to be one of: up to renewal date of extension (in my case 2 months), or, one year, or, some random period like 3 or 6 months.

Also, while I'm aware that some lists of insurers providing appropriate/acceptable cover were published on TV some time ago, if anyone has more up-to-date info as to which companies are are best for this purpose, it would be very helpful to me.

Thank you. I suppose that's really the issue - what is my length of stay considered to be? I consider TH, for the time being anyway, to be my home (as it has been for so long already), the Thai government considers otherwise, as I am not a PR. So I wonder if, for this purpose, it will be taken as lasting till the expiry of my present extension (which I intend to extend)? I don't have a date by which I intend to leave TH, as is the case for many or most long-term expats.

• Like 2

Just a week ago I was in the AXA insurance office to renew my vehicle insurance got talking to one of he agents about the insurance she show me what was available which is the needed $100,000 USD coverage before she went on explaining I noticed the cost 240,000 baht!  of course this is for 1 year BUT the good news for whatever reason It was my lucky day? said we are giving a discount for you 140,000 baht.

All indication is you do need coverage for whatever length of stay but she hinted once I'm in the country passed the quarantine period with a wink of a eye said I could cancelled the policy and get my money back but upfront payment must be made first and that something like 50-60% would be refunded?????

I believe you can obtain the policy online?

Ubon joe I am more confused now than before EXAMPLE. If I returned to Thai say September 2020 on my now held Retriement visa and lets say the Thai Government changes nothing , you are saying that I would need Covid Insurance for the rest of my stay which could be 20 years?

9 hours ago, sas_cars said:

Just get a insurance cover valid as long as your current extension is valid for. should work.

So, provided your visa is in place (In my case a normal O visa) the free 150,000 Euro 30 day COVID insurance being offered by Emirates would suffice?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, georgey said:

Thank you. I suppose that's really the issue - what is my length of stay considered to be? I consider TH, for the time being anyway, to be my home (as it has been for so long already), the Thai government considers otherwise, as I am not a PR. So I wonder if, for this purpose, it will be taken as lasting till the expiry of my present extension (which I intend to extend)? I don't have a date by which I intend to leave TH, as is the case for many or most long-term expats.

When we applied for CoE, our insurance (incl covid) only had a validity of 2 months. I was advised by Thai embassy to have at least 3 months cover from the date of intended entry into the kingdom. Dont know if that would be standard practice.

Question - 1. is Covid cover a requirement for extensions obtained in Thailand?

or 2. is it only a requirement issuance of CoE for new entrants?

I would assume 2, due to limited infections in the country?

2 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

When we applied for CoE, our insurance (incl covid) only had a validity of 2 months. I was advised by Thai embassy to have at least 3 months cover from the date of intended entry into the kingdom. Dont know if that would be standard practice.

Question - 1. is Covid cover a requirement for extensions obtained in Thailand?

or 2. is it only a requirement issuance of CoE for new entrants?

I would assume 2, due to limited infections in the country?

I just extended my 1 year ret.ext. non "o" nothing was asked by I.O. concerning any insurrance , only the 800 k baht on Thai account .

So i guess it must be only for new entrys to Thailand

Edited by david555

45 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Luma Thailand sells $100,000 covid-19 insurance from 2,800 baht for 30 days and from 15,000 baht for one year.

Hello,

Seems to be very cheap but they say "premiums from below table only valid until 31st August 2020". Also valid up to 70 yo

How can it be that cheap compared to others insurance companies?

24 minutes ago, aixois said:

Hello,

Seems to be very cheap but they say "premiums from below table only valid until 31st August 2020". Also valid up to 70 yo

This is for Covid insurance only, nothing else.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Generally you need insurance coverage for your length of stay.

Having followed the facebook flights closely, its for the length of the visa or extension of stay. So if its a new single entry non O its 90 days and if its an extension based on marriage its until the renewal date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Just a week ago I was in the AXA insurance office to renew my vehicle insurance got talking to one of he agents about the insurance she show me what was available which is the needed $100,000 USD coverage before she went on explaining I noticed the cost 240,000 baht!  of course this is for 1 year BUT the good news for whatever reason It was my lucky day? said we are giving a discount for you 140,000 baht.

All indication is you do need coverage for whatever length of stay but she hinted once I'm in the country passed the quarantine period with a wink of a eye said I could cancelled the policy and get my money back but upfront payment must be made first and that something like 50-60% would be refunded?????

I believe you can obtain the policy online?

This is a rip off but perhaps age related, I was quoted for a full years health insurance on a high coverage plan, it was about 120,000 Baht per year.

I can't recall the exact total cover offhand but it was several million dollars (maybe 80 million Baht from memory) of coverage per year, not a mere 100k.

• Like 1

"Length of stay" makes no sense in many cases. For some "length of stay" is forever. Had I returned in late March as intended, it was intended to be permanent. I would figure the required insurance necessary for a period of 30 to 90 days to assure one doesn't have it, but after that...in the same boat as all of those whom are already there and not required to have it. I intend to have it for maybe 90 days to gain entry and then when it expires...that's it. No more BS CV-19 insurance. No different then from all the others already in country and not required to have it. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

"Length

of stay" makes no sense in many cases. For some "length of stay" is forever. Had I returned in late March as intended, it was intended to be permanent. I would figure the required insurance necessary for a period of 30 to 90 days to assure one doesn't have it, but after that...in the same boat as all of those whom are already there and not required to have it. I intend to have it for maybe 90 days to gain entry and then when it expires...that's it. No more BS CV-19 insurance. No different then from all the others already in country and not required to have it. :thumbsup:

Yes I totally agree. After my post-26 September 30 day extension when I will be forced to leave LOS, whenever I can return,  it will be on an O visa, extendable to 12 months, when I will repeat the process as I live here (but for pension reasons I, in normal times, have to return to my home country every 6 months). So, like you, what is my "length of stay"$ for COVID  insurance purposes? Whatever answer one can deduce to that question doesn't make any sense.

"Length of stay" makes no sense in many cases. For some "length of stay" is forever. Had I returned in late March as intended, it was intended to be permanent. I would figure the required insurance necessary for a period of 30 to 90 days to assure one doesn't have it, but after that...in the same boat as all of those whom are already there and not required to have it. I intend to have it for maybe 90 days to gain entry and then when it expires...that's it. No more BS CV-19 insurance. No different then from all the others already in country and not required to have it. :thumbsup:

We might find that it's until the end of your permission to stay and I think that would make sense.

I also won't be surprised to see them asking to see the same when the time comes to extend the permission to stay.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

We might find that it's until the end of your permission to stay and I think that would make sense.

I also won't be surprised to see them asking to see the same when the time comes to extend the permission to stay.

Anything is possible in Land of Silly. But for everyone then?...including those already there are you suggesting? 

4 hours ago, aixois said:

Hello,

Some of the other insurances include more than just the C19 cover - Hence are more expensive.  Considering the low rate of C19 infection (at least official) - The premium should be low as the risk is low ...

• Like 2

"Length of stay" makes no sense in many cases. For some "length of stay" is forever.

Then you just apply for a one-year insurance, and wait and see if a renewal of Covid-19 insurance is required when it ends. Your stay is always limited to the date stamped in your passport, which extension you are also going to renew...????

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:44 AM, ukrules said:

This is a rip off but perhaps age related, I was quoted for a full years health insurance on a high coverage plan, it was about 120,000 Baht per year.

I can't recall the exact total cover offhand but it was several million dollars (maybe 80 million Baht from memory) of coverage per year, not a mere 100k.

Read again then respond. Before you do make sure you got the numbers correct because I and most likely everyone would like to see the policy you are speaking.

First 100,000 USD  Minimum required that is U.S. Dollars = based on 30-1 maybe 4 Million baht coverage?

Your comparison of 80 million baht vs. 100K USD  is incorrect you seem to think it is baht.

I've been here 15 years seen a lot of policies never have I seen a 80 million baht coverage policy being sold here by any Thai company.  Like to see what you are looking at or post the website!

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Read again then respond. Before you do make sure you got the numbers correct because I and most likely everyone would like to see the policy you are speaking.

First 100,000 USD  Minimum required that is U.S. Dollars = based on 30-1 maybe 4 Million baht coverage?

Your comparison of 80 million baht vs. 100K USD  is incorrect you seem to think it is baht.

I've been here 15 years seen a lot of policies never have I seen a 80 million baht coverage policy being sold here by any Thai company.  Like to see what you are looking at or post the website!

Ah yes, I made a mistake but it's not what you think.

Like I mentioned, I couldn't recall offhand exactly how much cover it was for, now I look up the amount from the email I can see that the cover was for a mere 65,500,000 Baht, not 80,000,000

I didn't go with them in the end as BUPA Global who I've been using for the last ten years or so offer about 60 million Baht cover a year for a similar price and they cover COVID so I just stayed with them.

image.png.b7484a997df9a8d1d47698013943fe75.png

It's not cheap but it's available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Ah yes, I made a mistake but it's not what you think.

Like I mentioned, I couldn't recall offhand exactly how much cover it was for, now I look up the amount from the email I can see that the cover was for a mere 65,500,000 Baht, not 80,000,000

I didn't go with them in the end as BUPA Global who I've been using for the last ten years or so offer about 60 million Baht cover a year for a similar price and they cover COVID so I just stayed with them.

image.png.b7484a997df9a8d1d47698013943fe75.png

It's not cheap but it's available.

Thanks I've seen these policies but these are " Global " the reason they are so expensive it is basically to cover a person ( coverage amount ) The required coverage (100,000 USD ) and amount being charged for that coverage in Thailand is just not reasonable or should I just say a big rip off.

• Haha 1