Non O Multi - Amnesty - Refused extension!

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I'm confused. You had a valid permission of stay till May 20. Why didn't you obtain a 12 month extension prior to may 20.

Because at that time i did not have 400k in a Thai bank account to apply for an extension. As soon as I was able, I transferred the money into my account which was on the 11 July. Under normal circumstaces I would have left country and come back.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are certainly not correct when they say you are on overstay. The are just trying to make things difficult.

There are other offices accepting applications from people in a similar situation as yours.

Perhaps try to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Thanks Joe. Yes, I could try that, but not optimistic, giving what they have just told me.

Edited by JonoM

Just now, JonoM said:

Because at that time i did not have 400k in a Thai bank account to apply for an extension. As soon as I was able, I transferred the money into my account which was on the 11 July. Under normal circumstaces I would have left country and come back.

The good news is that you now have the money in bank. So your office is requiring a current permission of stay in your passport. 

Attend you office outline your plan to obtain 60 day extension to visit wife and then apply for annual extension marriage.

If they say no problems (they should) then you can apply for 60 day on the spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The good news is that you now have the money in bank. So your office is requiring a current permission of stay in your passport. 

Attend you office outline your plan to obtain 60 day extension to visit wife and then apply for annual extension marriage.

If they say no problems (they should) then you can apply for 60 day on the spot.

OK. Thanks DrJack. I'll go back there tomorrow to give this a try, but I'm wondering if this is an option, why they didn't suggest this themselves? I will give it a go though.

• Like 1

Just now, JonoM said:

OK. Thanks DrJack. I'll go back there tomorrow to give this a try, but I'm wondering if this is an option, why they didn't suggest this themselves? I will give it a go though.

Often they don't suggest. Some would like you to use an agent.

On that point don't rule out an agent if nothing else pans out.

Good your going tomorrow, if no joy then you still have time agent path.

Can't see them rejecting 60 day extension to visit wife. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm confused. You had a valid permission of stay till May 20. Why didn't you obtain a 12 month extension prior to may 20.

Obtain a 60 day extension visit wife/family and then obtain 12 month extension. Obviously have all your financials in place to satisfy imm.

So if someone used up the 60 days 'visit wife' extension can still get a year extension on top of that? I see conflicting reports, some people here on tv said that once you used up your 60 days extension you can't get a further annual. 

18 minutes ago, Bigz said:

So if someone used up the 60 days 'visit wife' extension can still get a year extension on top of that? I see conflicting reports, some people here on tv said that once you used up your 60 days extension you can't get a further annual. 

From several reports today you may be able if you visit immigration prior to September 11 and request official permission to stay until the 27th.  This seems to reset your status to legal from what they seem to consider overstay without fine (amnesty) and may allow normal extension of stay.  It it not clear yet but appears may be an option for some so worth a try - but time is short as have long holiday coming up next weekend.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain a 60 day extension visit wife/family and then obtain 12 month extension. Obviously have all your financials in place to satisfy imm.

because we are(/were) in amnesty maybe ... why make your life more difficult

I went on 25 march, one day before the lockdown, overfull immigration, total chaos, zero social distancing, IO's TV was on for them, could not here them say the follow up number in THAI only !!! and their ticket online follow up screen was DEAD, but their TV was on for their pleasure...

got my extension denied and only got 60 days, which, I wish I would have saved to be used after 26 september...

indeed, the few remaining farangs still here contributing to the country, they want out...

no sympathy, no empathy from IO's ... pushing you to use crooked agents for 10x 25x the normal immigration fee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, misterphil said:

Why the confusion? I am in the same position as the original poster and when I went to do my 90 day they told me I don't need to do anything during the amnesty. 

The OP wasn't trying to do a 90-day report!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm sorry to hear your plight Op.  And you probably will not be the last we hear from.

But - This is exactly why I didn't deviate from my normal schedule for extensions and reports.  There is too much variability in the interpretation of Immigration orders as it is.  Then you and I, really as unwanted, "temporary" "guests" in this country even though we may have been supporting families for years, find out the hard way that an "amnesty" doesn't apply to us.  At least by one IO's interpretation, or one immigration office's interpretation, or the changing interpretations that never make sense anyway.  And...your kicked out.

You have to assume you are not wanted, that immigration is not out to assist you but conversely, they are there to find ways to expel you.  And then act accordingly

Immigration cannot be trusted.  I hope things work out for you and others.  Truly. 

Agree entirely. Have done all my reports (online or whatever ) and will make sure the 400k is in the bank account the required 2 months before annual extension early next year.

Not going to believe any amnesty BS that allows IO to give me a hard time.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 4:51 PM, JonoM said:

I have just visisted Immigration (Si Racha) with my wife to check that I had all the necessary paperwork in order to apply for a new visa/extension (that I would apply for on 12 September) and I was told that I am infact an overstaying and that I have to leave the country on the 27 September. So I am a bit shocked and bewildered. Have I completely misunderstood everything that I have read about the amnesty??

Nah, they're correct, as mentioned previously by me, Amnesty is considered 'overstay' without the fines, it will likely cost you 300-400k to go to Europe (with the wife) and then return, far easier to apply for the Elite, but being frank, that takes 30-45 days, so you best get packing!

42 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Nah, they're correct, as mentioned previously by me, Amnesty is considered 'overstay' without the fines, it will likely cost you 300-400k to go to Europe (with the wife) and then return, far easier to apply for the Elite, but being frank, that takes 30-45 days, so you best get packing!

Isn't there a condition on elite for no overstays. Its not really an option for anybody some even have flights off the table.

I am afraid that you were wrong. The amnesty was aimed for tourists on tourist visa of 30 - 60 days who were stranded in Thailand without the physical ability to leave the country because of the flight shut down.

You had all the time to hope on to immigration office and extend your one year visa before it expired.

I have the same but opposite problem. i have a Non O retirement visa but I am abroad in my country and can not approach Thai immigration to extend it. My visa expired on July and I guess that I will have to start the process  from the beginning once I am back.

• Like 1

If it were me, I would have put the money in my bank and then applied, knowing it would have been rejected. 

That gives Thai immigration the option to decide the best way to proceed, not what you thought was best or you understood to be correct - under normal conditions, they would just grant you a 60 day extension which gives you the time for your funds to season and then after your extension was approved it would begin from May 15.

I too had never understood the visa amnesty to apply for anyone other than holders of tourist visas who have become stranded. 

However, you would think logic would prevail in this situation, but Thai Immigration aren’t exactly known for their understanding and helpful approach. 

Anyway, it’s all well and good after the fact - I wish you all the best, I hope you can sort it out. 

• Like 1

i did not realize the problem was so bad, i spoke to a friend last week and he told me he was in big trouble as his 30 days visa has near expired and he is on overstay shortly and he said you cannot apply for a visa on overstay? and Immigration (Jomtien) told him he had to leave Thailand to get a new visa ? i am a bit surprised as when is an Amnesty not an Amnesty ? when you are in Thailand

it appears? i mean normally you get all the ''i have never had a problem with Immigration in twenty years'' brigade , but this has changed not too many fish in the barrels in fact most of the barrels   are empty so a lot of Immigration staff are not getting the income stream they are used to,

and now they want to maximize their earnings, if there is a way around this via Agent or other body

a heads up would be appreciated as i do understand how it feels when you get caught up in one of their '' how can we make it even more difficult for Farangs to stay in Thailand '' games.

Thanks for any helpful advice. 

Edited by zoza
  • Like 2

Thanks for the support and empathy guys. I hope others in the same situation find their Immigration Offices more accommodating than mine.

Nothing more to report, as wasn't able to make it to immigration on Friday. Will go Monday now, but given my previous experience I don't hold much hope that they will give me 60 days (to visit wife), but I can but try!

I think it's more likely i will be using an agent to get me through this. So if any one can recommend one in Si Racha or Pattaya please pm me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonoM said:

Thanks for the support and empathy guys. I hope others in the same situation find their Immigration Offices more accommodating than mine.

Nothing more to report, as wasn't able to make it to immigration on Friday. Will go Monday now, but given my previous experience I don't hold much hope that they will give me 60 days (to visit wife), but I can but try!

I think it's more likely i will be using an agent to get me through this. So if any one can recommend one in Si Racha or Pattaya please pm me.

I also didn't hold much hope when I went in yesterday but was pleasantly surprised so you never know when the wind might change and remember pleasant polite persistence pays positive premiums!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 2:51 AM, JonoM said:

I have a Non-imm O Visa based on marriage obtained from HCMC which expired on 21 Aug 20. My permit to stay expered on 15 May 20, so I have been staying here under the visa amnesty and I had thought that I had until 27 September to sort something out. My intention was to apply for either an extension to my stay or apply for a new visa (whichever they allow?) using the 400k in the bank method. On 11 July I had 400k depsited in my bank account, enabling to apply on the 12 September, or so I thought.

Although I agree that Sri Racha are incorrect in what they have told you I was nonetheless told the same thing at Petchabun immigration recently , that they would not extend an expired visa. 

It seems that there are immigration offices out there ignorant of the official line making up their own rules. Fortunately my Non O expires in September and I will apply before then for a 60 day extension to give my recent 400,000 deposit enough time to season.

• Like 1