MG Cars - a few facts

MG is launching a 2 two cars in October

one is all electric station wagon ( estate) MGe5 Station Wagon

the 2nd one is a petrol / electric phev similar shape to existing MGHS suv,  new model will be called MG eHS 0-100 km  in just 5.8 seconds

9 hours ago, transam said:

I had a 1964 MGB Roadster with wire wheels........... ????

MGB-Roadster-1964-Pull-Handle-classic-car-with.jpg.50708dad03cfcaac52faeae9e03e77b1.jpg

MG needs to reintroduce the MGB in an updated style where the basic shape doesn’t veer to far from the original, like Mazda did with the ugly new MX5 ND.  Build it here in Thailand, with a 1.8-2.0 engine, price it under a million baht and I think they would have a winner.

Currently, the MG is more like a Honda Jazz, or a comparable Nissan that looks like it was designed by Tom Peters (Pontiac Aztek)

it needs to look more like this....not the Aztek below.

129C66F9-8447-4892-864C-634779ECFB30.jpeg

28949E57-E2D1-480F-93AE-60E641BCFE69.jpeg

Edited by Airalee

On 8/27/2020 at 10:36 AM, vinny41 said:

MG is launching a 2 two cars in October

one is all electric station wagon ( estate) MGe5 Station Wagon

the 2nd one is a petrol / electric phev similar shape to existing MGHS suv,  new model will be called MG eHS 0-100 km  in just 5.8 seconds

Is there a place to find confirmation about your comment on the MG eHS? I am eagerly awaiting details on the car, specifically pricing and release date in Thailand?

I was close to pulling the trigger on the MG ZS EV, but once I checked into the charging network of Thailand, I realized it is just not (yet) a viable vehicle. The PHEV model eHs would alleviate the lack of charging stations in rural Thailand completely.

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Is there a place to find confirmation about your comment on the MG eHS? I am eagerly awaiting details on the car, specifically pricing and release date in Thailand?

I was close to pulling the trigger on the MG ZS EV, but once I checked into the charging network of Thailand, I realized it is just not (yet) a viable vehicle. The PHEV model eHs would alleviate the lack of charging stations in rural Thailand completely.

Some info can be found here 

http://www.headlightmag.com/mg-hs-plug-in-hybrid-coming-soon-thailand/

https://www.autodeft.com/defthint/mg-ehs-plug-in-hybrid-suv-coming-soon-thailand-2020

I have read there is a bkk mg dealer taking pre-orders (1200) bit naughty as no pricing or offical announcement has been made by MG yet pricing is expect between 1.3-1.4 electric range is 75km car so i would see using the electric in slow traffic and switching to petrol  once your clear of slow traffic

The history was interesting but if your that well schooled on cars you should be doing blogs about what not to and what to be looking at here for car buyers.

I am sure many would be interested in your views.

Mitsubishi Xpander?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:38 AM, HauptmannUK said:

The Chevrolet Captiva sold in Thailand up until Chevrolet pulled out was actually developed as the Baojun 530 in China.  It is exported to various markets as the Chevrolet Captiva. To India as the MG Hector.  It is also locally built in Indonesia where it is sold as the Wuling Almaz.  Its is these cars (badged as Captiva's) that were being sold in Thailand.

Thailand will see the same vehicle again badged as an MG.

So you can see that Chevrolet pulling out of Thailand starts to make a bit more sense...

And the Captiva was utter <deleted>, it comes as no surprise the Chinese connection !!

11 hours ago, Airalee said:

MG needs to reintroduce the MGB in an updated style where the basic shape doesn’t veer to far from the original, like Mazda did with the ugly new MX5 ND.  Build it here in Thailand, with a 1.8-2.0 engine, price it under a million baht and I think they would have a winner.

Currently, the MG is more like a Honda Jazz, or a comparable Nissan that looks like it was designed by Tom Peters (Pontiac Aztek)

it needs to look more like this....not the Aztek below.

129C66F9-8447-4892-864C-634779ECFB30.jpeg

28949E57-E2D1-480F-93AE-60E641BCFE69.jpeg

You can still buy a new MGB....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Some info can be found here 

http://www.headlightmag.com/mg-hs-plug-in-hybrid-coming-soon-thailand/

https://www.autodeft.com/defthint/mg-ehs-plug-in-hybrid-suv-coming-soon-thailand-2020

I have read there is a bkk mg dealer taking pre-orders (1200) bit naughty as no pricing or offical announcement has been made by MG yet pricing is expect between 1.3-1.4 electric range is 75km car so i would see using the electric in slow traffic and switching to petrol  once your clear of slow traffic

Thanks for the links - sounds very promising, 16,6 Kwh battery is perfect, it will allow for good electric range in town, and for longer trips the gasoline engine gives it range anxiety free operation. If MG prices this vehicle right, this could really put them on the map as supplier of attractive BEV and PHEV vehicles.

And I am more than happy that MG is not manufactured in England anymore - just have a look at the pictures of the original MG's on this thread, and the horror memories are rushing back - this time around MG is not the laughing stock of the automotive landscape anymore.

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So let's see, either the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera or the Wuling Almaz... choices, choices.

Very good topic by the OP. Most MG threads turn into China bashing and only gets the old codgers posting pictures of even older sports cars they didn't ever own. The GM tie-in may be reassuring to those die-hard local Chevy aficionados.

Thanks!

You have to read between the lines - 99% of China basing on TVF is just good old jealousy by butt hurt old geezers...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Not really, it's just that stuff that is a bit cheaper and doesn't last very long is usually from China.

You can even buy brand named items that are exact Chinese copies that fail early. 

Well it wouldn't be hard to cite the British car industry with making its fair share of "dogs" now would it!

17 minutes ago, Airalee said:

No you can’t.  From watching the video, Heritage only produces shells that the buyer of the shell can then install all their old parts.

Yes, and the buyer ends up with a new MGB on the road, with original parts OR modern upgrades....?...........????

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, and the buyer ends up with a new MGB on the road, with original parts OR modern upgrades....?...........????

That is a far cry from what I was referring to in my original post.  I believe that you, as a self professed car aficionado with “Transam” as a nickname and “The Driver” as your pic should know that.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Think what you like, but you can own a new MGB...... 

My username relates to a car I owned for 23 years.

My Avatar is James Taylor, I sing his songs and I like his only film.....????

If a person could walk into an MG dealership and purchase a new MGB then yes...you can own a new MGB...well...a modern reinterpretation as I referred to in my original post.  Just like a person could have walked into a Ford dealership and purchased a Ford GT which was the modern interpretation of the original GT40 from the 60s.

Cobbling together an MGB does not constitute “purchasing a new MGB”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

If a person could walk into an MG dealership and purchase a new MGB then yes...you can own a new MGB...well...a modern reinterpretation as I referred to in my original post.  Just like a person could have walked into a Ford dealership and purchased a Ford GT which was the modern interpretation of the original GT40 from the 60s.

Cobbling together an MGB does not constitute “purchasing a new MGB”

????..........Keep digging.........????

Oh, the Ford GT does not have a Ford GT40 body shell, it is wider and longer to just look like a GT40....????

Just now, transam said:

????..........Keep digging.........????

Oh, the Ford GT does not have a Ford GT40 body shell, it is wider and longer to just look like a GT40....????

I believe you’re the one digging and showing your lack of reading comprehension.

From my original post...

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I believe you’re the one digging and showing your lack of reading comprehension.

From my original post...

OK................????