Anyone been here in CM?

Orton Rd

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:
8 hours ago, Logosone said:

it's close to one of the busiest streets in Chiang Mai.

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its located in a secluded spot, well away from any road

Mods:  Please refer this to the Cartography Forum for resolution.  Thank you.

It's both,

Yes and it is both very quiet and very noisy too. Right.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

haul your ----s down there next week and check it out.

Find somebody else to order around who gives a damn.  Nothing of interest for me in that area of town.

13 hours ago, Dante99 said:

16 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

haul your ----s down there next week and check it out.

Find somebody else to order around who gives a damn.  Nothing of interest for me in that area of town.

Like I said, it's quiet, the buildings next to the moat road blocks the sound. Now if you don't 'give a dam' no need to post ok?  

As always are hopes and prayers are with you. 

Cheers

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dante99 said:

where is the interesting area then and what is there?

15 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

where is the interesting area then and what is there?

There is a massive amount on offer in Chiang Mai, clearly depends what interests you, but in no particular order:

The CM Night Market is walking distance to you, start around 6 pm.

There are several Muay Thai training schools.

Chiang Mai Night Safari has special cheap prices now but will require a car trip of around 30 mins from where you are.

Old Town is okay to walk around in but Nimman is a place with some good restaurants as well, it has the best massage spas as well. Healthland just opened in CM and is worth a visit, though the masseuses are horrendously unattractive compared to other spas.

The best mall is Central Festival with some good restaurants, cinema and most of what you get Bangkok by way of malls.

There's Doi Suthep, a bit of a drive out in the mountains.

Queen Sirikit Botanical gardens are open.

There is a lot going on around the universities in terms of sport and food.

There's archery cafes in a side road next to Central.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

If I were a tour guide I would be wearing a license hanging on a cord around my neck.

What interests me?  Why is that your business?

"Black lesbian"  Oh you racist sexist dog.

Never put anyone on ignore before but there is no point reading your nonsense

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There is a massive amount on offer in Chiang Mai, clearly depends what interests you, but in no particular order:

Chiang Mai Night Safari has special cheap prices now but will require a car trip of around 30 mins from where you are.

Old Town is okay to walk around in but Nimman is a place with some good restaurants as well, it has the best massage spas as well. Healthland just opened in CM and is worth a visit, though the masseuses are horrendously unattractive compared to other spas.

The best mall is Central Festival with some good restaurants, cinema and most of what you get Bangkok by way of malls.

Thanks, this is the sort of info the forum is about, not childish nonsense and argument baiting.

39 minutes ago, Logosone said:

They also have live music at the Prominada on Friday nights which is about 5 kilometers outside town, no need for you to go though as you would be able to hear the music from your centrally located hotel 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Thanks, this is the sort of info the forum is about, not childish nonsense and argument baiting.

You're welcome.

Some culinary pointers, if you like french baguette the place to go is L'Opera which has baguette, patisserie and good breakfast on the same quality level as Paris. It's opposite Anantara resort. The Japanese St Etoile copy in Central is the second best choice for bread. 

In Central the best restaurant is Idin Klin Krog but there's a number of good options. For more upmarket food The House by Ginger, relatively close to you in the old town is my top pick. 

Another secret tip of a new restaurant that just opened a few months ago is We la Dee, a bit of car trip to San Sai but the food is upmarket for Chiang Mai and it's getting rave reviews.

Less expensive options are Mitmai (Yunnanese Chinese), The Swan (Burmese), Khao Soi Islam, Khao Soi Khun Yai (close to you), Kiat Ocha for pork satay and Hainanese Chicken, Tong Tem Toh only if you like northern barbecue and only in the evening, they're in Nimman. Garibaldi an upscale Italian is also in Nimman.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

They also have live music at the Prominada on Friday nights which is about 5 kilometers outside town, no need for you to go though as you would be able to hear the music from your centrally located hotel 

Promenada is a weird place but the best for buying high end computer gear with Icon plaza. There's also a Japanese style music bar there with hostesses.

They also have live music in Central in a nice atmosphere in largish bar overlooking the square, now rebranded as My Vietnam, though the Vietnamese food is limited bar fare in reality. More for drinks and music.

Warm up Cafe is also open for the ultra-trendy in Chiang Mai.

32 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Don't suppose there are any lukung/morlam cafes left? There were some even in hotels in 1996, last time I stayed there, if not is there an Issan Tawang deang type place?

There is Mojo Cafe. Rasmee sometimes plays there but it's temporarily closed now I think.

Rasmee still lives in Chiang Mai, you could write to her, she'd know.

https://www.rasmeewayrana.com/

Huan Soontaree is also a good bet to listen to Traditional Thai music.

https://www.huansoontaree.com/delivery-takeaway-menu

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

I love the "scheme" because it's really a "scheme." 

The government gives you vouchers for 40% off hotel rooms at hotels where the normal price has been increased by 40% (if not more).  Schemers be a-scheming. 

• Haha 1

I use to live near there.  It's brand new.  That use to be a weed covered lot not that long ago.  I suggest you look at Google Street View to see what's in that area and if it meets your expectations.  It's off the main streets in the back alleys.  $53 bucks a night?  Back when I lived there $53 buck would about cover the rent on one of the rooms I rented on a monthly basis.  Chiang Mai is as dead as a door nail.  Just saying. These hotels are probably on the verge of bankruptcy if this keeps up into 2021 which it not doubt will. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.7859908,98.9950819,3a,75y,313.06h,98.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI5oisVcldc9-39w81kKrWA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 11:37 AM, phetphet said:

We stayed there around December 2018 when it was recently opened. Nice and quiet place. Wasn't vegan food then. Maybe vegetarian, but not quite sure as we mainly ate out.

Under five minute walk to Tha Pae Gate. Long narrow swimming pool accessed from terrace of ground floor rooms I recall.

How much did you pay per night back in 2018? 

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I hate bloody vegans, food Fascists, never stop asking is this Vegan, i'm a Vegan I don't eat etc etc etc. Sat on a plane once next to a black lesbian one- she wanted to know if the nuts were Vegan!

Those food Fascists are also mask Fascists.  <laughs> 
Give me a steak and I'll use the mask to soak up the blood on the bottom of the plate.  That's a good use for it.  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

Here's the beauty of it all now - You have all the wonders of a tourist location, but without any of the tourists.  How sweet!!!  Well, if you can ignore all the closed up and out-of-business shops.  But, there ya have it. 

18 hours ago, connda said:

Here's the beauty of it all now - You have all the wonders of a tourist location, but without any of the tourists.  How sweet!!!  Well, if you can ignore all the closed up and out-of-business shops.  But, there ya have it. 

You are  quite mistaken, Chiang Mai is not dead. It's throbbing with a lot of people, traffic jams, packed Central, it's only a few hotels and restaurants that are dead. Some new restaurants like We la dee have opened and are absolutely packed.

A few places have closed, a few new  ones have opened, new eateries in Central as well. Such is the the circle of life, Simba.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:49 PM, Matzzon said:

Sounds on them like everything is fantastic. Just trust them. No Thai hotel or resort would ever even think about lying to their customers.

Whereas in other countries, they always tell the unvarnished truth of course.

• Like 1