Thailand not opening to foreign tourists any time soon

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, LEKPHUKET said:

Hijacking is going on, when will thais take the streets to stop this incapable government? The last 15 years they came out for much smaller issues.

Not only thais are hijacked also many foreigners in and outside Thailand. 

You really think a "democratic" government Thaksin style would have done any different or even better?

• Confused 3

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" "Let them eat cake" Im starting to see a similarities between 17th and 18th century French aristocracy and the bunch running this place...and we all know what happened then. You reap what you sow. Never mind I guess because tourism is less than 9% of GDP???? yeah right!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hansnl said:

And what about the poor that worked in the tourist industry?

Of course, goes without saying, but unless they reopen the economy, the mess will continue to decimate both the industry and the people who need money to survive.

• Like 1

Then I would have to share all this with tourists, why would that matter to some.  10% capacity in Cape Panwa last week, really calm and serene, just like it was the month before.  I kind of enjoy low tourism, but then yes people are going broke and are unemployed. Something has to give, and the worried people just need to be practical in there ideas and not to constricting.

• Like 1

The government's Phuket model sounds very inviting. I am sure tourism in Phuket will reach 4,000,000 for the next year.

I am certain people from the approved countryieswill fall all over themselves to fall prey to overcharging, transportation mafias, crime. And will happily pay to be quarantined. Thailand is such a jewel they really can institute any conditions and the rich tourists they are targeting will flock to be taken advantage of. Rich people are not discerning.

If Italy becomes approved I will apply for an Italian passport so I can be taken advantage of. See you in Phuket Paradise.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

And what about the poor that worked in the tourist industry?

It is an unfortunate fact of life that whenever there is a disaster there are invariably casualties.

Visited the Phi Phi tsunami memorial a couple of days ago, people should remember how tourist areas can really be decimated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so what is it ?  first the 5 S's, then 5 R's and the 5 T's and now the 5 BS weekly update, we do need a good laugh because TGIF.... they can't make up their mind, they just throw words out there without even thinking about what they are saying 555

Chinag Mai is a ghost town but hey who gives a <deleted> in Bangkok all their government jobs come with lifetime salaries.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

No worries.  Tourists won’t come anyway, with or without Wuhan-19 Virus.  The Baht will keep rising, precluding any chance for recovery...

Chinese tourists will come in droves, soon enough.  A lot sooner than Europeans and Americans, thats for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bloomberg this morning on TV on their rolling news it said: Thailand plans to open country to tourists this winter.   Who knows.

Then there is hope for next year as:

Winter in Thailand starts at the end of December and continues until the end of March. By the meteorological calendar winter in Thailand starts either at 21st or 22nd of December and ends either on March 20 or March 21. Winter months in Thailand are November, December, January, February, and March.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so what is it ?  first the 5 S's, then 5 R's and the 5 T's and now the 5 BS weekly update, we do need a good laugh because TGIF.... they can't make up their mind, they just throw words out there without even thinking about what they are saying 555

It's the 5 F ups followed very soon by the the 6 .7. 8 .9 and 10 F ups of the week

2 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

If borders are opened as some suggest, many people will not only go into coma, but will die. Take the latest example of a country that has opened its borders to tourists, Spain, and see the tragic results - an upsurge of the virus and many sick and dead people. The tourist industry there also regrets the way the borders were opened, as the little business they had before is now gone. The Thai authorities are to be applauded for the way they are handling the epidemic - see the positive results.

I am not going to jump into numbers and analyse curves as quite a few have done it quite effectively above. You see that from one side and others take it from another one. One cannot simply disregard the economic downside to the decision of keeping the borders closed. The gone "little" businesses not only severe the income of a high number of Thai nationals as well as some foreigners but also lead to desperate situations. I am not judging what the Governement is doing as it is a difficult task to perform but what is unbearable is the high number of conflicting, to say the least, announcements. Let me add that whatever the decision taken it will not get an unanimous welcome.

• Like 2