Getting divorced at local office

nicelee808

If you both agree, you can go to the local Amphur.

If the parties agree on the divorce and the terms of the divorce, they can go to the Amphur where their marriage is registered and file an agreement for the dissolution of their marriage. If the marriage is not agreed, the process becomes exponentially more difficult.

More here: 

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/how-to-get-divorced-in-thailand/#:~:text=Under Thai law%2C a divorce,where the marriage is registered.

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 2

Yes - if there's no dispute and you both agree then it's a ten minute at the amphur job.

If there's a dispute, usually from her, and she's trying to lay claim to your assets, then it can easily take 6-18 months and end up costing you 100-200k in legal fees. Better to settle out of court if that's the situation and find out what she wants because it may be less than what the lawyers want. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If there's a dispute, usually from her, and she's trying to lay claim to your assets, then it can easily take 6-18 months and end up costing you 100-200k in legal fees.

Any way to protect yourself from that in the first place? I thought it was safer to get married in Thailand than in the west, but maybe it's a preconceived notion.

3 minutes ago, Seik said:

Any way to protect yourself from that in the first place? I thought it was safer to get married in Thailand than in the west, but maybe it's a preconceived notion.

pre-nup agreement. i believe it's actually honoured here also when the uknowwhat hits the fan.

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I did it a couple of weeks ago at the local office we were married at and it cost 40 baht. Doing it at the same office meant they didn't want a certified translation of my passport. But I did have the old passport with me as well from the time we were married.

That was a problem that I had when I divorced in October 2019. I didn't have my old passport from 30 years ago when I married.

District office where I married, told me to get my present passport 'Certified' at the British Embassy and then translated and notified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Chaengwattana Rd. 

Wife paid 12k baht for an agent to do the leg work and a couple of hours later we were divorced with no visits to the embassy or ministry.

If I had the old passport it would have required just a few signatures.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, jastheace said:

can i just squeeze in this topic to ask.....

can divorce be done at any local office without hinderance, or is it easier at the same office of registration?

out of experience, if divorce on mutual agreement, you can divorce in any Umphur, myself married in Bang Rak, divorced Bang Chak..

If I remember correctly all you need is 2 witnesses. 

6 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

don't forget you have to LEAVE the country, lol

or beg immigration to give you a WHOLE 7 days to get out for 1900 baht

Don't have to leave if you have a child here that is legally yours, or apply for a retirement visa.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, jastheace said:

can i just squeeze in this topic to ask.....

can divorce be done at any local office without hinderance, or is it easier at the same office of registration?

I would guess you have to go to the office where you registered the marriage.