No mercy! Death sentence handed down to EIGHT Thais despite admissions of guilt

rooster59

Good.They deserve to die.The reason the death penalty doesn't seem to be a deterent is because there are so many awaiting execution so others think if they get caught it won't happen.Criminals should be executed the day after being found guilty.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

There has never been proof offered the death sentence acts as a deterrent for crime. Corruption is endemic across institutions in Thailand, including within hospitals. Not that long ago there was a major bust of hospital procurement buying billions of ephedrine tablets from China that are used for production of ICE, Thai Customs were also involved, no-one was given the death sentence. Thai law enforcement is also involved with drug trafficking, we are not permitted to comment further.

In much the same way that has never been proof offered that burning ones finger on a hot kettle acts as a deterrent for touching a hot kettle either. 

I do not support the death penalty, but the idea that it is not a deterrent is absurd.

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The court decided that so grave was the crime and so bad was the impact on society and the country as a whole that despite the fact seven of the defendants admitted their guilt no mercy should be shown. 

Yet ploughing down a policeman with a Ferrari they allow time for the player to take a break and leave the country on a private jet. These idiots weren't paying enough I guess.

However, in a military regime it appears resorting to uncivilised death sentences is fitting. How long before they'll just have a free for all shooting poor people, maybe even a few students, for complaining about their overlords?

Edited by ben2talk

18 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm sure this will be commuted to life imprisonment on appeal or pardon. Thailand does not want o be seen by the EU as a murderous state.

This government doesn't care too much what the West thinks of them, I'm afraid ...

21 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Have you not thought of the valuable investigative tool that admission provides in netting additional criminals and avoiding unnecessary bloodshed? If criminals believe that if they are caught, they are for the chop no matter what, why not just shoot it out - it might give them a chance to escape and if they take a few men in brown with them, all the better (or so they might think).

If caught red-handed, police have nothing to bargain with in order to try to get the co-conspirators. And so they will go free. Is that what you want?

Besides, if you give it a thought, which would you prefer - life in a Thai prison (where life really means life) or a small scratch in the arm and oblivion? I know what I would prefer. The real punishment is life in prison.

Admission of guilt should never be used as evidence of guilt, for two reasons: 1. It is often extracted through torture. 2. It is often used by police as a promise that the death penalty will not result from a guilty verdict, when the police do not, in fact, have the final say. 

The death penalty is wrong in so many ways, but a corrupt and unequal justice system adds a much heavier ethical burden to it. As we all know, the death penalty is a punishment for the poor. You only have to look at the USA, with a supposed advanced criminal justice system, to see how unjust it is and how wrong it can be.

As you wrote, life without parole can be a much more daunting prospect than a death sentence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

In too many farang countries he would have been a free man in a decade, give or take a few years.

Lets hope THAILAND doesnt get infected with these liberal ideas but stays strong and fair.

Fair? You're urinating now.

If you have money and power here, you can do ANYTHING. Including running down police officers in luxury autos. 

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Yet ploughing down a policeman with a Ferrari they allow time for the player to take a break and leave the country on a private jet. These idiots weren't paying enough I guess.

However, in a military regime it appears resorting to uncivilised death sentences is fitting. How long before they'll just have a free for all shooting poor people, maybe even a few students, for complaining about their overlords?

So because one person gets away with it, everyone should?

12 minutes ago, Card said:

Admission of guilt should never be used as evidence of guilt, for two reasons: 1. It is often extracted through torture. 2. It is often used by police as a promise that the death penalty will not result from a guilty verdict, when the police do not, in fact, have the final say. 

The death penalty is wrong in so many ways, but a corrupt and unequal justice system adds a much heavier ethical burden to it. As we all know, the death penalty is a punishment for the poor. You only have to look at the USA, with a supposed advanced criminal justice system, to see how unjust it is and how wrong it can be.

As you wrote, life without parole can be a much more daunting prospect than a death sentence.

Water falling from the sky should never be used as evidence of rain because:

1. It could be a sprinkler 

2. it could be Songkran 

Why not list five of the many ways the death sentence is wrong?

17 hours ago, connda said:

As well as that serial killer Timothy Leary.  Oh, and don't forget all the millionaire and billionaire tech gurus who frequent Burning Man yearly.  LSD crazed killers one and all.  Muhhhahhaa.

Syd Barrett, Peter Green, both LSD users, both lost their minds. LSD's a 'mind-bending' drug.

Excellent. Hang em high. All drug dealers should be executed worldwide absolute utter filth..... In addition end users of any unprescribed drug should get a 5 stretch. Let the convicted build the jails to house them all albeit as the 5s are handed down and reported daily end use will immediately hugely drop when little Johnny walking into a disco with his couple of E's leaves the place in handcuffs knowing the Scrubs is awaiting

Pander to this filth too much...

Yep I'm hugely anti drugs lol

Not a single country in the world with a death sentence available has no serious crimes. It is just people getting legal revenge. I understand why people want revenge, just saying the death penalty doesn't solve the crime problem.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, janet j said:

Criminals should be executed the day after being found guilty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=daniel+villegas

https://www.google.com/search?q=craig+coley

https://www.google.com/search?q=wilbert+jones

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+downing

Repeat that again when your dad/boyfriend/child will get wrongfully convicted.

Edited by fdsa

On 8/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, JoePai said:

Excellent news - carry out sentence tomorrow please

Or, keep them on death row with no chance of appeal, for the rest of their lives. That could well be worse than death. 

If they were fed nothing but rice and their own meth every day they wouldn't last long anyway. But I guess than would be the inhumane. 

On 8/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, fangless said:

Legalize what?

Legalize it all.

The war on drugs does more harm than good.

Plus it's immoral to tell people what they can and can't do with their own bodies, it goes against my idea of basic human rights to tell someone what they can and can't ingest.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hobz said:

Legalize it all.

The war on drugs does more harm than good.

Plus it's immoral to tell people what they can and can't do with their own bodies, it goes against my idea of basic human rights to tell someone what they can and can't ingest.

I don’t care what drug crazed idiots do to themselves with whatever is their drug of choice.  The quicker they remove themselves from the “Gene Pool” the better.  

It is the harm they do to others that I object to.

18 hours ago, Purdey said:

Not a single country in the world with a death sentence available has no serious crimes. It is just people getting legal revenge. I understand why people want revenge, just saying the death penalty doesn't solve the crime problem.

It does in my book. It's NOT revenge (Political Correctness?) it is JUSTICE! And YES it does solve the crime problem, especially drug crimes. The reason being after being executed, the criminals have NO further chance getting involved in criminal activity again. However, with hundreds of criminals with the Death sentence in the Big Tiger, most will die of old age or killed by other inmates. Thailand, bring back the crossbuck and machine gun! Forget about putting these criminals to sleep permanently. Let them look at the crossbuck and they will have the time to reflect on their crime while being strapped down before the trigger is pulled.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, Pedrogaz said:

I'm sure this will be commuted to life imprisonment on appeal or pardon. Thailand does not want o be seen by the EU as a murderous state.

One would certainly like to think so.  The fact that the Burmese two had their sentence commuted to life is a good sign.

8 hours ago, fangless said:

I don’t care what drug crazed idiots do to themselves with whatever is their drug of choice.  The quicker they remove themselves from the “Gene Pool” the better.  

It is the harm they do to others that I object to.

The war on drugs doesn't prevent people from taking drugs. 

So it would be in your interest to make drugs legal, as it's been proven that it reduces drug abuse. Win win. Glad we agree.

Harming others physically is illegal in itself.

Drug addicts ofcourse harm their families and friends in other ways, but again, the war on drugs just makes addiction worse. The resources spent chasing people should be spent helping addicts.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, hobz said:

So it would be in your interest to make drugs legal, as it's been proven that it reduces drug abuse. Win win

Totally wrong.  Legality or otherwise has nothing to do with abuse;

Definition of drug abuse; Substance abuse, also known as drug abuse, is use of a drug in amounts or by methods which are harmful to the individual or others.

It is the harmful to others that I object to.  Let them do as much harm to themselves as quickly and as much as they want as far as I am concerned as long as they do it where they cannot/do not harm others.

Edited by fangless

Just now, fangless said:

Totally wrong.  Legality or otherwise has nothing to do with abuse;

Definition of drug abuse; Substance abuse, also known as drug abuse, is use of a drug in amounts or by methods which are harmful to the individual or others.

countries that have decriminalized or legalized drugs see much less drug abuse. it's a fact.

• Confused 1