TRACTORS and tractors advise

16 hours ago, douglasspade said:

Not paying by the hour, paying per Rai. I estimated the total hourly production to estimate the hours I will utilize if I eventually buy a tractor to be able to cover the cost of fuel and general repairs.

Some guys in my village still plant rice with some sort of wheel driven planter box also pulled by a two wheel tractor. Their rice is always looking good and neat, but the work involved looks backbreaking and time consuming.

I also respect people who value their equipment, in Thailand it is a bit rough going and tractors were not made to go shopping with. But yes I have notice there are some people who just pull everything through their ass, be it a tractor, bike, truck, chainsaw ... I do not lend or allow anyone to use anything I own.

Indeed. So far my village people are used to see me on the farm doing something. I have helped searching for lost cattle in the rain, cut and pull eucalyptus closing the roads, unstuck a buffalo cow, some welding on a rake, sharpen a cutting disc, straighten a pickup diff, advise about something - the most basic gestures to the people cost me some minutes and a laugh at most but people see who you are and what your attitude is. Sometimes you have to forgive the stupidity and accept a slight bit of responsibility.

Looks like you got it covered from all angles!   

On 9/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Grumpy John said:

Out at #2 orchard we have a steep hill and I  cannot get the trailer and a full IBC up even in 4 wheel drive!  I put extra weight on the front but the standard tyres just skip and slide. Thanks 

Know how you feel GJ,used to tow 4 and half ton of sugar on a trailer behind the L2201 Kubota,the slightest incline and the rear valve used to start popping. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Mate, that is the issue. I have a tractor, plough, rotary and row maker that sit idle because repair and maintenance costs are higher than hiring a local to do it for me. If you really need to have your own then buy this lot of old stuff and spend on fixing it up. Total cost would be about 250k Baht.

By the way it includes a front end loader, not a grader blade

It's common sense to start to look into these machines, how to service them, where to get parts from, what tools you need, what oil and so on.

There are way too many bad mechanics out there and when you're doing your stuff alone you know that it's done properly.

You'll find a lot of great stuff on YouTube ( of course also a lot of rubbish), use the good ones and try it. It's not that difficult once you understood the principle. 

When I settle down here, I had no idea about aircons and refrigerators. But know I'm able to fix them by myself.

Aircons, it's usually the capacitor that goes first. At fridges as well, perhaps also the heat sensor switch.

Once you're familiar with your machine and you've got the needed tolls there's no more wasted time waiting for a mechanic.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

It's common sense to start to look into these machines, how to service them, where to get parts from, what tools you need, what oil and so on.

There are way too many bad mechanics out there and when you're doing your stuff alone you know that it's done properly.

You'll find a lot of great stuff on YouTube ( of course also a lot of rubbish), use the good ones and try it. It's not that difficult once you understood the principle. 

When I settle down here, I had no idea about aircons and refrigerators. But know I'm able to fix them by myself.

Aircons, it's usually the capacitor that goes first. At fridges as well, perhaps also the heat sensor switch.

Once you're familiar with your machine and you've got the needed tolls there's no more wasted time waiting for a mechanic.  

We can take that even further.  Same principle applies to your health.  Why go to some silly Thai doctor for a diagnosis when you have the internet!  It's just so lucky that Thai pharmacists will sell you just about anything you may need.  ????

We probably won't see a big problem here for another 10 years or so with Grey market tractors.

But pretty sure last year the government stopped allowing the imports of 2nd hand tractors.So it will be a time phase till there all sold or broken down for parts.

I have already noticed the difference with the L2201,bad for breaking steering boxes,my local dealer is now charging internet prices!!! where as before it was a phone call in country or down the back to salvage one.

The growth of tractor sales i've seen since here would suggest there would be some bargins around if right place,right time.

A friend of mine had a M70 Kubota 1.2 million new,had it about 5 years and think it got sold for 500,000ish. 

• Sad 1