This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

3 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

My first challenge is getting back into LOS as Im stuck in the Great American Dumpster Fire

Try to avoid protests and don't even bother attacking 17 year old kids armed with semi-automatic rifles. Otherwise, you should be okay for a return to LOS in the not too distant future. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

My first challenge is getting back into LOS as Im stuck in the Great American Dumpster Fire...hope she will wait for me....she could be the one...maybe a can fake a medical visa to be by her side....ting tong visa

Why do you like her ?

On 8/30/2020 at 9:18 AM, CorpusChristie said:

I will take a look, can you recommend some areas that are "back to normal" ?

Drive to Meechok and Ruamchok plaza and market. You cant get a free parking space on the weekends. Its just packed.

I also was last weekend at the Motor Show, Furniture etc. in Convention Center. Seems every Thai wants to buy a new car, lines wherever you walked.

I dont know about Moon Muang Sois in old town,

and i know Nimman is quiet, but it was never a place for Thais to hang out.

On 8/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, trucking said:

Good clear pictures. Shows that anywhere dependent on tourist traffic is really suffering.

And yet by contrast , county towns off the beaten tourist track are about 95% back to normal. Our local

Big C is busy , car park full on weekends and downtown is bustling with life. Fewer and fewer people bothering with masks except in the chain stores like 7/11 and Tescos etc. 

Why bother having a holiday elsewhere when home is so open to business.

What about the ugly, fatbellied tattooed brigade, are the bars and girls still there?

On 8/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Continuing to keep the people and businesses in a virus lockdown mode has to stop. 

Give people the option to continue with their living and livelihood...this lockdown is causing more harm to the country now than the virus...

I think you are referring to border closures rather than a domestic lock down ? The pictures just demonstrate how many areas in Thailand are so dependent on international tourism. Even if they open the boarders tomorrow its going to take years for these areas to recover.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, CorpusChristie said:

There is no lock-down though , businesses are free to open .

Everythings back to normal (apart from the borders being closed) 

Keeping around 40,000,000 tourists out. How very normal

On 8/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, SteveK said:

Realistically, because Thailand is so dependent on international tourism, they should have looked to see what other countries were doing and imposed a more relaxed version to allow some people into the country to keep things ticking over. So they do the exact opposite, relentlessly chasing a figure of zero for some reason, and have destroyed the lives of so many in the process. 

Given what we now know about the virus Thailand has the heat and humidity on their side. Just look at Spain though, they decided to allow all and sundry to come in for the summer holidays and the covid numbers are now increasing rapidly at the worse possible time. I think its likely we will see some more severe lockdowns in Europe in the coming winter.

2 minutes ago, jinners said:

Keeping around 40,000,000 tourists out. How very normal

I included that in the "borders being closed" , which......................keeps the tourists out .

My point was that there is nothing left to change internally , travel is unrestricted and there's no curfews or restrictions anymore

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I included that in the "borders being closed" , which......................keeps the tourists out .

My point was that there is nothing left to change internally , travel is unrestricted and there's no curfews or restrictions anymore

Some people will keep denying but I know it is even worse than you showed. I guess that they have to adjust that 13% GDP story from farangs only lol #fakenumbers But it is very annoying to find food without paying Grab 20-30% on top of rel prices. Everything is now too far stretched out from each other, which also makes it feel ghost town even more. Rents are not even reduced though.

End up spending quite a lot time to either tell the Grab driver how to follow a coloured line on his smartphone or driving around traffic jams to get food. Silly people all gots cars while renting 2k apartments. Insanity is when you pay 8K on a car VS 2K for a room, to then spend 2 hours in traffic jam daily, in that car, for no good reason.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Some people will keep denying but I know it is even worse than you showed. I guess that they have to adjust that 13% GDP story from farangs only lol #fakenumbers But it is very annoying to find food without paying Grab 20-30% on top of rel prices. Everything is now too far stretched out from each other, which also makes it feel ghost town even more. Rents are not even reduced though.

End up spending quite a lot time to either tell the Grab driver how to follow a coloured line on his smartphone or driving around traffic jams to get food. Silly people all gots cars while renting 2k apartments. Insanity is when you pay 8K on a car VS 2K for a room, to then spend 2 hours in traffic jam daily, in that car, for no good reason.

How dare they own cars, don,t they know your in town!

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mansell said:

I don’t see a lockdown in Korat....only bars from what I see.

Its not a lockdown as such , there simply are not enough customers to make business viable.

Korat is not a large international tourist destination so the impact will obviously be far less severe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

When I tried to get past all the people on Sunday walking street I wondered about your take.

I did go there twice yesterday and there are less/fewer stalls than last year and also about half the normal amount of street walkers there  

40 minutes ago, Olmate said:

How dare they own cars, don,t they know your in town!

Either you do not have a clue how this works out for them locals, or you are just as stupid. 9/10 will still be paying for that car, after it broke down 5-10 years already.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, JAFO said:

Great post Rumak and quite true. A lot of people also forget that a great majority of those restaurants /tourist type businesses are part of their homes which were paid for in full years ago. They pull down the front and just live at home and many find other ways to make cash. To Rumak's point the pictures show a very specific little area.  Most everywhere I travel around in Thailand has been pretty much getting back to normal. CM is pretty active and its quite nice without all the tourists and jammed packed roads with monster bus's. IMHO for us expats living and working here this has been exceptionally nice. My wife and I have enjoyed numerous resort hotel getaways at significantly reduced fees being they are offering domestic tourism incentives. The beaches are empty and quiet and I do not have to hold back "verps" witnessing obese Europeans in speedos who apparently have no shame. ????.

While I feel for the families that have been impacted here due to the covid situation, I do not think it is as bad as one wants to make it appear. Sure a segment of the industry has been significantly impacted but in the bigger picture it has been a good recovery period for the environment that was being abused and destroyed by over tourism. I could easily enjoy another year of this. 

I have stated before that wealthier locals and expats wiĺl not be inconvenienced , indeed as you say they will even see positives in the current situation.

However it clearly is having a serious impact for many , another year of it could lead to major social unrest, you may find that a tad less cosy.

Not judging anybody or fear mongering , simply stating a very likely scenario . Hope it doesn't come to it but another year of locked borders would generate some ugly scenes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

i am really so bored to death of this fake news.   AH,  look,  i found something looks interesting:

By NanLaew

Now that i can wrap my head around........... 

outa this and off to the zoooooo

Wait, before you go , its not the CM Zoo where you can fondle Tigers nuts , its actually the Tiger Kingdom , which is a different place to the zoo and about 10 K's away .

I would hate you to be disappointed going to the zoo and requesting a tiger fondling nuts ticket and then being redirected to the Tiger Kingdom  

On 8/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Everythings back to normal (apart from the borders being closed) 

Couldn't quite tell from your photos... It didn't look like all of the places you shot were primarily farang/tourist customer businesses.... 

It kind of made me wonder, aren't there any still-employed Thais living there sufficient to support a local business economy on their own?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Couldn't quite tell from your photos... It didn't look like all of the places you shot were primarily farang customer businesses.... 

It kind of made me wonder, aren't there any still-employed Thais living there sufficient to support a local business economy on their own?

It's because the rents are so high, they can't make enough profits from Thais to stay open.

30 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Either you do not have a clue how this works out for them locals, or you are just as stupid. 9/10 will still be paying for that car, after it broke down 5-10 years already.

“Them locals”..your a classic!

Edited by Olmate