This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

On 8/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Honesty, you can walk along the route that I stated and you can see the actual buildings still there , if you want the exact location of any of the photos, let me know which one and I will tell you, if I get around to it, I may even post all the exact locations tomorrow .

If you are accusing me of B.S , go to the stated location and see for yourself .

This photo was taken up by the airport , by wing 41 or whatever its called 

DSCF5630.JPG

some like to nitpick just because.However i take your point tourist areas are empty in CM as they are in every tourist area in thailand.Pretty sad to see,but everywhere worldwide is the same.Tourism pre covid will not return.Airlines that survive will need smaller bodied planes,with seats further apart,and the cost of a seat will increase too,making only the cashed up able to pay the increase.Air asia "now everyone can fly"..is now obsolete.

As much as I feel for the good hardworking folks in chiang mai I SURE don't miss the constant black and putrid smoke pouring out of the back of the countless songtaews plying their trade. I also don't miss the acrid foul smelling smoke spewing from the countless tuk-tuks scurrying around chiang mai. I also DON'T MISS the 4-5 months with the totally out of control burning of the agriculture fields that envelopes chiang mai and the resultant toxic and poisonous haze and smoke which chokes the citizenry of chiang mai during this time. Nothing is being done and each year the problem gets worse. It is a pity because chiang mai has many endearing qualities but it is not worth ruining your health by living there and breathing in all the toxic smoke. 

• Like 1

"Very misleading post."

Not really. 

Clearly, the OP is talking about the effects of no foreigners being allowed into the country, not some urban sprawl where only Thais venture. 

A very large number of businesses and jobs are tied to tourism and that has been gutted, no question. 

• Like 1

many more people are going to die from this drop in business than

from the virus.

thailand government should swallow their pride and open the country ASAP to tourists.

yes, the price will be few more thousands  deaths from the virus, and they will not

be able to save face anymore , but people will leave.

i recently took a flight threw europe - the airport was packed, the plains are full.

so yes, france is red country, but alive.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, watgate said:

As much as I feel for the good hardworking folks in chiang mai I SURE don't miss the constant black and putrid smoke pouring out of the back of the countless songtaews plying their trade. I also don't miss the acrid foul smelling smoke spewing from the countless tuk-tuks scurrying around chiang mai. I also DON'T MISS the 4-5 months with the totally out of control burning of the agriculture fields that envelopes chiang mai and the resultant toxic and poisonous haze and smoke which chokes the citizenry of chiang mai during this time. Nothing is being done and each year the problem gets worse. It is a pity because chiang mai has many endearing qualities but it is not worth ruining your health by living there and breathing in all the toxic smoke. 

Why didn't you just say it's a dump and save time??

LOL Cause I am a nice guy and try to be diplomatic but I am afraid you are correct in your previous statement. Staying hunkered down and captive in your condo for 4-5 months each burning season with your a/c and air quality purifier running is not my idea of how one should be spending their retirement years. It is pathetic how many folks do that to remain in chiang mai.

28 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

thailand government should swallow their pride and open the country ASAP to tourists.

But it is of utmost importance that the locals are consulted first, and studies indicate 97% are against it.

And this is the sort of rubbish that this government creates on purpose, to further isolate Thailand from the rest of the world.

As if, here in Europe, someone asked my opinion about what the green, yellow or red countries should be.

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

But it is of utmost importance that the locals are consulted first, and studies indicate 97% are against it.

And this is the sort of rubbish that this government creates on purpose, to further isolate Thailand from the rest of the world.

As if, here in Europe, someone asked my opinion about what the green, yellow or red countries should be.

No, had the rest of the World took the same measures that Thailand did to combat the virus , the World would now be virus free and all the borders would be back open and everything back to normal .

Its not the Thai Governments fault , its the neigh sayers who refused to wear masks who are responsible 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's the same in Pattaya City (Beach Road and CBD area)...50-60% of businesses are closed and traffic is negligible. 

No, Pattaya is bustling. Actually, it is much better now than , let’s say, one year ago. Somehow , without millions of tourists, this place is booming.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2020 at 10:46 AM, geriatrickid said:

Are you aware that some sectors of Thailand are booming and will be  reporting windfall profits this year? Examples are the medical supplies  and food export sectors

There is a huge surplus of food in Thailand, due to the lack of tourists , nice to hear they are able to export that surplus food , instead of it going to waste

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

very sad photos. proof how fragile the thai economy is.

unlike in the developed world, thai have little savings and cannot

keep shops open for too long.

also demonstrate how the thai econmy is depandant on tourists.

most thai people simply cannot afford shopping like that.

Actually where I live the effects have been minimal, but we're not tourist orientated. Most tourist orientated areas were after the fast buck and must return to more traditional ways to make a living. Actually in the developed world people are often strapped with high mortgage and/or credit card debit. 

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

many more people are going to die from this drop in business than

from the virus.

yes, the price will be few more thousands  deaths from the virus, and they will not

be able to save face anymore , but people will leave.

i recently took a flight threw europe - the airport was packed, the plains are full.

so yes, france is red country, but alive.

Guess you must be out of Thailand and relying on what others report.

5 hours ago, watgate said:

After that rant above I assume you do not live in CM now but that you possibly did previously. 

Have you spent any time here recently.  

As a matter of interest do you live in Thailand and if so what region.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 6:03 PM, Swimfan said:

Given what we now know about the virus Thailand has the heat and humidity on their side. Just look at Spain though, they decided to allow all and sundry to come in for the summer holidays and the covid numbers are now increasing rapidly at the worse possible time. I think its likely we will see some more severe lockdowns in Europe in the coming winter.

Look at Sweden, they had no lockdown and nobody is wearing masks, yet the average age of people dying from covid in Sweden is the same as average life expectancy in Sweden, 82 years old. 

Only 6% of people that died from Sweden didn't have other underlying disease. 

I'm leaning more and more towards that this covid thing is a complete scam...